yz350f??

76 replies to this topic
  • Dirtbiker05

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:27 AM

is yamaha putting out a production yz350f in the near future? thats what my stealer told me that they were trying to get yamaha to make a 350f cuz the 450 is too powerful, and the 250f is not powerful enough. dont know if its gonna happen yet, just wonder what u guys think about it. anyone who'd buy this 350f if it was a production bike? cheers

• kubamtx

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hmm. It's hard to say. I know few guys having yzf 450 with 300 cylinder kits so potentiali there is the market for this.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 15, 2007 - 05:03 AM

I hope not....this is a AMA want and nothing else.....due to the fact that they claim 450s tear up SX tracks too easy.....that is the major reason for it....another stupid AMA idea:thumbsdn:

• 642MX

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:06 AM

is yamaha putting out a production yz350f in the near future? thats what my stealer told me that they were trying to get yamaha to make a 350f cuz the 450 is too powerful, and the 250f is not powerful enough. dont know if its gonna happen yet, just wonder what u guys think about it. anyone who'd buy this 350f if it was a production bike? cheers

The AMA does want the premier class to be 350cc's. They think it will keep the racing closer and give the mid pack guys a level playing field, but the reality of it is: the fast guys will still be fast guys and the teams with the most money will have the best bikes. A 350cc bike won't help riders like Ryan Clark run up front with riders like Stewart.

• Climber

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:47 AM

Why doesn't the AMA just make the pros ride STOCK bikes???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 07:53 AM

The AMA does want the premier class to be 350cc's. They think it will keep the racing closer and give the mid pack guys a level playing field, but the reality of it is: the fast guys will still be fast guys and the teams with the most money will have the best bikes. A 350cc bike won't help riders like Ryan Clark run up front with riders like Stewart.

This is absolutely correct. If you remember, Carmichael was winning on a CR250 when everyone else was on the 450's, and Stewart was winning the 125 class by record margins on a KX125, for Christ's sake, without ever having a hole shot.

Standout talents like these will separate themselves from the pack even if the AMA mandates racing on minis.

• Darvo

Posted August 15, 2007 - 08:46 AM

This is absolutely correct. If you remember, Carmichael was winning on a CR250 when everyone else was on the 450's, and Stewart was winning the 125 class by record margins on a KX125, for Christ's sake, without ever having a hole shot.

Standout talents like these will separate themselves from the pack even if the AMA mandates racing on minis.

Yep, look at the lap times from the last 2 motocross races also. The lites guys are going faster than the big boys.

• SkiDaddy

Posted August 15, 2007 - 09:30 AM

If Yamaha sold a 350F that weighed the same as a 250F I might buy one if I couldn't get a 250 2 stroke.:crazy:

• BikeDestroyer

Posted August 15, 2007 - 09:56 AM

As an off-road rider/racer I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it weighed the same as a 250F. The 250F didn't have enough umph and the 450F wears me out too fast. Right now my YZ250 2-stroke fits the bill on the tight nasty singletrack.

• DPW

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:16 PM

I hope not....this is a AMA want and nothing else.....due to the fact that they claim 450s tear up SX tracks too easy.....that is the major reason for it....another stupid AMA idea:thumbsdn:

It's crap....I would love to see a SX track after a 250F only race, I bet the track is just as "worn" down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:27 PM

It's crap....I would love to see a SX track after a 250F only race, I bet the track is just as "worn" down.

I agree and apparently the manufacturers yami, suz and hon were not happy to have the AMA tell them what and why they needed to make these....some said tooling could take until 2012 ..... then the AMA went to FIM to get their support for a 350, but the FIM already tamed their outdoor tracks down to make safer for 450s...so the AMA is going to extremes to make this a reality. They came up with the next reason...to make everyone race closer together....to make it more interesting....like this will really be the case....what a bunch of crap BS....I wonder what Steve W is thinking. :excuseme:
I say leave things the way they are with the 250/450 class and bring back the 500s for a real open class:thumbsup: Maybe some changes to SX tracks would be the better option eh....Steve:applause:

• DPW

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:41 PM

or the big 4 or 5, if you include KTM...tell the AMA/FIM we are not making a 350...then what??? A new series without sanctioning from the AMA...;-)

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Well, they have said publicly that the reason is that the 450's are putting too big a gap between the men and the boys, as it were, but you're probably right. I'll bet that does have something to do with it. In which case, I feel compelled to express my opinionated view that SX is a stupid idea in the first place, and the AMA and the operators of the venues can figure out what to do about the tracks all by themselves.

I'll even help them with it. They can call me at 1-800-WHAA

I've mentioned this before, but back around 1970, the AMA started pulling some stuff that the Grand National riders didn't like, so a bunch of them started and joined an alternative sanctioning body. Kind of a revolution, if you will. The AMA threatened to excommunicate anyone who did so, so quite a few of them established a residence in California, which has the Cartwright Act, a law limiting the restrictions an organization like that can place on their members. The next year, the AMA changed things to at least partly comply with the wishes of its members. Might be time for something like that again.

The trouble with the AMA is the trouble with all governments of any size. They get to thinking that they are more important than who and what they govern. Ain't so.

• davidl9999

Posted August 15, 2007 - 01:50 PM

I think this whole idea is crap.
I'd still ride a 500 2T - just because it's a 500 2T and they're a blast to ride. To bad the class is dead...

This kind of B.S. thinking by the AMA (if it's really the case) is worse than restrictor plate racing in NASCAR. Why don't they just stifle innovation altogether and have one size bike? Maybe just an "official" model like a JAWA Dakar... yeah, that'll fix the SX tracks getting torn up! :rant:

The better riders will still blow the rest of the pack away, so what's the point? :excuseme:

Mostly just a rant here, not much substance... :D

• Climber

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:07 PM

In which case, I feel compelled to express my opinionated view that SX is a stupid idea in the first place, and the AMA and the operators of the venues can figure out what to do about the tracks all by themselves.

I couldn't agree more. It is a shame that riders, now, have to get an arenacross license to get a SX license which is needed to get a license to race mx. (on the national level). This just caters to the fatory teams and makes it more difficult for the small guy to compete. I don't think that any governing body ever represents the wishes of it's people.

I have quit riding with SRAC (mx group here in Colorado) because the treats the members like we are beholding to them when we are the ones PAYING the dues that gives these PTA wannabees something to to.

The one thing I always respected about HA, was there dislike of the AMA.

ANARCHY...rules...

• Kenpo1

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:09 PM

So whats wrong with a 350? Even if the reasons the AMA is giving aren't really legit, a 350 does sound like a more versitile bike. I don't like 250f's - not well rounded enough. Doesn't pull in the dunes and kinda boring. 450's eh, too much on the pig side, wear me out in the tight stuff, have to dumb down tracks to make it safe for the 450's. Lame. So I ride a 250 2 stroke, more versitile.

A 350 - seems like a good compromise of size, weight and power, so why not?

• Dirtbiker05

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:12 PM

good to hear all of your opinions. :thumbsup: maybe if the AMA heard what the ppl who ride the bikes think they would know better and not make the companys make the bikes. now if just yamaha came out with a 350f because 2 strokes are slowly fading away and its coming down to four strokes and that ppl think the 450 has to much jam and the 250f doesnt have enough (if ur that picky) it would be a different story. cheers.

• almostinvincible119

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:16 PM

I believe Yamaha said they would not be producing a 350. No matter what. This is all according to MXA. James Stewart is still James Stewart. He can race the 450s on a 250f and still beat them. Its actually easier to ride a smaller bike indoors. Look at World Superbike, the 800s have actually made laps faster, but the slightly bigger riders are at a disadvantage. The 350 idea will also take most privateers out of races. The reason most of the privateers are in the 450 class, is because you can run a 450mod longer and cheaper than a 250mod.

SX isn't easy for mortal people, but for average people it can be made easier with the right setup. But the reason Supercross is hear to stay is because its easily viewable, it makes for good tv (albeit there is no 30 second runaway) and on the east coast its climate is controlled.

I love watching motocross. But damn, its hot in Maryland in June. And those suit-wearing big wigs of the AMA and their corporate counterparts do not want to trek into the middle of the woods and sit in a small air conditioned booth to conversate and just glance at a motocross race. Some Nascar tracks are in the middle of nowhere, but they have suites.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Yamaha had the perfect 4 stroke engine size way back in 1998. That's right, the YZ400F. It was the AMA/FIM who gave the 4 stroke engine such a big displacement advantage (at one time it was 650cc, then down to 550cc, and now the current 450cc) over the 2 strokes. OF course the factories, and everyone else, want the most powerful bike with the broadest powerband for their racing programs. As I recall, the YZ400F was perfectly competitive with 250 2 strokes, and even won the 1998 AMA 250 championship under Doug Henry. I'll grant that Doug was riding a full factory works bike (in the mold of the mid 80's works bikes) against "production" 250's, but the racing was not a runaway for the 4 stroke.

The AMA also changed the Supercross tracks to "make them easier for 4 strokes to get around". They sure do. JS, RC, Reed, and the other factory boys can just launch off jumps and go halfway down a straight, IN THE AIR!! No wonder lap times are so short for the lead guys!

The AMA/FIM created the problem of 4 strokes being too powerful, by allowing such a big disparity in engine sizes between 2 and 4 strokes. Now they want the manufacturers to fix the problem by investing millions of dollars to develop new bikes because the AMA/FIM say so?? Ain't gonna happen.

IMO, the AMA/FIM should stay the hell out of the bike making business.

One other minor point. What do you think the manufacturers will do if/when the AMA/FIM tells them to create a new bike because the AMA/FIM want them to? The manufacturers are likely to tell the AMA/FIM to shove it where the sun don't shine, and pull out of Professional Motocross entirely (then form their OWN sanctioning body and hold races for championships).

Just my 2 pennies!!

• DPW

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:03 PM

450 outdoors 250 2-stroke indoors...problem solved.

Make the bikes quieter not one or two dbs, but a big drop like 89 db and that will slow the 450 down plus your ears will not be ringing after an indoor race.

Designing a new model I doubt is cheap and who do you think the cost will be past on to...guess look in the mirror. The YZ400 was the perfect engine size like mentioned above. You can not tell me a factory Yamaha YZ350F will not be putting out as much HP as 450, but at the sake of reliability.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.