To Spray wash or Not...

14 replies to this topic
  • TSFRANKLIN

Posted August 14, 2007 - 06:30 PM

I have read several treads about spray washing bikes and how bad it is for them. I tried to get away from the spray washing, but I can not get my bike very clean with a brush and soapy water or Simple Green. It is mainly the hard to get areas, but I have heard stories of the mud "pitting", or staining the bike. It seems like every time I take it out I get in mud, and many times DEEP mud...:ride: I am going to go back to the spray wash at least every other time...What should I look out for besides the bearing areas??? I do regrease my bearings every 4-6 months...

What do yall do regarding cleaning a bike that gets dirty fairly often?

• Mutu

Posted August 14, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Simple green is good stuff! I use that or CT18 truck wash than blast off with the pressure washer.

• ccoates445

Posted August 14, 2007 - 07:40 PM

Simple green is good stuff! I use that or CT18 truck wash than blast off with the pressure washer.

yup. what he said!! simple green does a great job and doesn't hurt anything. baked on crud requires a bit more elbow grease, but just a good squirt of the green juice and a minute or 2 to loosen the tough stuff and thats all it takes. careful with the high pressure near seals as it will tend to find its way into bearings with the added pressure.

cheers

• kskyles

Posted August 14, 2007 - 07:55 PM

i've been using a mixture of half liquid laundry detergent and half water. surprisingly, it works really well.

spray on a dry bike, let it sit for a few minutes and hose off. it works really well. if the bike gets really muddy, then i'll hit it with the pressure washer carefully. don't point the pressure washer at seals or bearing areas.

• BeeDub

Posted August 15, 2007 - 07:46 AM

Far be it from me to state the obvious, but you might want to plug up your exhaust too! An old sock or rag (clean) in there tight should work fine unles you plan on spray at it directly (so you don't go spending money on those fancy plugs). Also, I don't know what kind of pressure washer you have, but the one I got at OSH has a pressure regulator, and it's pretty low pressure to begin with, but it works great, I even use it on my truck! It's tough to get that lower chassis and swingarm crap off and I don't see how you can even get to some spots with a brush!

• giants922003

Posted August 15, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Try using "speed clean". It works awesome in those hard to reach places and takes little effort.

• byggd

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:30 AM

Pressure washing is OK as long and you use some common sense and don’t get real close in areas that have a seal and or bearing like wheels, swing arm etc where you might blast water past a seal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gandalf_WR450

Posted August 15, 2007 - 01:09 PM

I clean mine after every ride, not because I dont like it dirty, but as a check of rims, hoses, missing pieces- I get a good distance off the roads and want to know if anything is damaged or gone. I always just fill a bucket with soapy water, spray off buildup with a garden hose. I use a sponge and an old paint brush to get into tight areas. I use a gentle spray on the radiators, back side first so I dont damage them or drive crud into the fins.

• TWILES

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:27 PM

I'm still too cheap to buy a pressure washer so I still go to the carwash. I hose it off with the soap, then pre-soak it, and rinse with water. I rinse my truck with the wax. My bike still run, look, and feels like new and I've had it 2 years. I've never even greased anything. I've never had water up to the axles either. It doesn't squeak, and there is no rust other than the chain. I'm the same as everyone else with the water. Don't spray directly into bearings or seals and you should be fine. I had a Banshee for 5 years and rode it HARD 3 times a week. I never had to put a bearing in it and I washed it the same way.

• BeeDub

Posted August 15, 2007 - 03:04 PM

I'm still too cheap to buy a pressure washer so I still go to the carwash. I hose it off with the soap, then pre-soak it, and rinse with water. I rinse my truck with the wax. My bike still run, look, and feels like new and I've had it 2 years. I've never even greased anything. I've never had water up to the axles either. It doesn't squeak, and there is no rust other than the chain. I'm the same as everyone else with the water. Don't spray directly into bearings or seals and you should be fine. I had a Banshee for 5 years and rode it HARD 3 times a week. I never had to put a bearing in it and I washed it the same way.

Dude, I think I only paid like $60 at OSH for mine. Anyway, like you, I am unfortunately selling my WR, stupid CARB!

• TWILES

Posted August 17, 2007 - 02:07 PM

I gave up trying to sell mine. I guess I should take that off, huh?

• BeeDub

Posted August 17, 2007 - 03:56 PM

I gave up trying to sell mine. I guess I should take that off, huh?

No luck or just decided not to? Anyway, it's an awesome bike for someone without a street license, and I'd keep it if I could afford two bikes. I've enjoyed this bike a lot more than my old YZ.

Sorry to highjack the original thread, my humble apologies...

• kjr247

Posted August 19, 2007 - 06:22 PM

I read somewhere on TT to use "Shout" stain remover diluted (1/3 Shout 2/3). I tried it and it really works great. The baked on mud needs a little scrubbing but the shout melts the dirt off. I live in the SE where we have that red clay. Shout works super. Worth a try. KJR

• kjr247

Posted August 19, 2007 - 06:23 PM

2/3 water...sorry

• Mandi133

Posted August 19, 2007 - 06:25 PM

I think you should hire some of us Thumpettes. Check out the "Therapeutic Bike-Washing" thread.. I know I enjoy a good bike-washing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.