dirty gold chain baja

10 replies to this topic
  • superjeffro

Posted August 14, 2007 - 03:12 PM

want this new chain to last longer. rode in baja 2 day ride. chain is all dirty and gooey. want to clean it and re-wax it. last chain didnt last very long. whats best way to care for chain?:crazy:

• kskyles

Posted August 14, 2007 - 07:58 PM

take it off the bike. scrub it with kerosene and a brush, dry it off, and lube it with your favorite stuff. should be easy.

• superjeffro

Posted August 15, 2007 - 10:03 AM

is gasoline ok subsitute?

• Reinier

Posted August 15, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Kerosene is the best for this only if it's a non-oring chain . You could I guess use just enough and a brush if it's a Oring . Kerosene and Gas can damage the Orings . Hot soapy water and brush are best for Oring chains I have been told , but I don't use Oring chains .
I have a small tank I made with a inter basket to hold the chain off the bottom . All the dirt and old lube goes to the bottom and I come out with a nice clean chain ,looks new it's so clean .
I just set it in the tank and forget it for a day or two and that's it .

• SXP

Posted August 16, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Kerosene is the best for this only if it's a non-oring chain . You could I guess use just enough and a brush if it's a Oring . Kerosene and Gas can damage the Orings . Hot soapy water and brush are best for Oring chains I have been told , but I don't use Oring chains .
I have a small tank I made with a inter basket to hold the chain off the bottom . All the dirt and old lube goes to the bottom and I come out with a nice clean chain ,looks new it's so clean .
I just set it in the tank and forget it for a day or two and that's it .

I've been using kerosene since the dawn of time (well, since the introduction of O-ring chains) and have never had an issue. It is safe to use.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • taksx

Posted August 17, 2007 - 08:23 AM

I had to stop using those "moto" lubes and switch over to WD40, cus it doesn't attract as much junk as the other lubes. Chain is till in top shape as well as the sprockets.

Any way's if you want the real scoop on what to use PM bajaboundmoto.
He's owns a few bike and has first hand experience on what will survive a few hundred miles in ol' mex.

• ccoates445

Posted August 17, 2007 - 01:10 PM

I use Simple Green and a grunge brush and just hose it off. It has been a concensus in past posts that the drier the lube, the less crud you will acumulate. I use Chain Wax and it has been great. I know some guys who use spray silicone and they swear by it. I guess whatever you use to lube/protect with, the drier the better. Don't forget proper adjustment.

• F6dood

Posted August 17, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Ditto on the Simple Green and a stiff bristle brush. For the desert environment, I know a major Baja tour Company use WD-40 only.

• Thebosss83

Posted August 26, 2007 - 06:17 PM

I cant believe that WD 40 stands up to the punishment?!? I have always used the PJ1(I think thats the brand) clear chain lube. However my chain has a lot of grit on the outside of it...Perhaps I should remove it and clean it properly. I have also never greased the bottom end of the suspension, nor the stearing head for that matter. Perhaps I am a bad maintainer. Its a dirtbike, JUST RIDE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!

• Face plant

Posted August 27, 2007 - 06:46 PM

I cant believe that WD 40 stands up to the punishment?!? I have always used the PJ1(I think thats the brand) clear chain lube. However my chain has a lot of grit on the outside of it...Perhaps I should remove it and clean it properly. I have also never greased the bottom end of the suspension, nor the stearing head for that matter. Perhaps I am a bad maintainer. Its a dirtbike, JUST RIDE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!

Note to self.....Don't buy a bike from "Thebosss83":prof:

• Thebosss83

Posted August 28, 2007 - 06:18 AM

LOL, dont get me wrong, I do maintainence. Religious about the oil, airfilter, chain lube, cleaning, etc. I just have not gotten to those parts for servicing. I have not seen my WR in 10 months, for I am in FL and it is in Northern Michigan. That is all about to change this weekend, 4 days of riding. I cant F**king wait!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.