Best dirt worthy dot tires?

13 replies to this topic
  • Bamster

Posted March 03, 2002 - 09:39 AM

What are the best street legal tires I can buy.
Road performace is not important.

• MONTY

Posted March 03, 2002 - 02:16 PM

I USE THE DUNLOP 606 THEY WORK GOOD IN MUD BUT NOT SO GOOD IN ROCKY AREAS.THEY LAST A LONG TIME I GET A FULL SEASON RIDE OUT OF THEM.THEY ARE DOT AND COST ABOUT 6O.OO A TIRE.
MONTY :)

• tbronco

Posted March 03, 2002 - 04:03 PM

if cost is important, go with the Kenda trackmaster DOT. Pretty good traction, good price, and hold up longer than any DOT that I've tried.

• marty_mosley

Posted March 04, 2002 - 07:16 AM

I also run Donlop 606 they seem to work well

• dieseld

Posted March 04, 2002 - 08:13 AM

The Dunlop D606 rear lasts a long, long time, but it does not have the big fat profile of an aggressive dirt tire. My experience with a year of the 606 is that it is barely marginal in sand and mud, and terrible on a wet groomed track. But anything harder than medium terrain is where the 606 really shines - sandstone, rocks, street, even blue-groove is where you'll like the 606 a lot. No chunking in the sharp rocks either. I replaced my 606 for a desert race, not because it was worn out.

In front, the Dunlop K139 is very much like the 606 on the rear, but maybe a little better in the sand than the 606.

Damon

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Damon ]

• lewichris

Posted March 04, 2002 - 09:51 AM

D.O.T. should really not be used with dirt worthy. They work good but not as good as a Knobby as you all should know. But if i were you i would give the perrilli MT21 a try. 90% off 10%on. Best i have heard of so far.

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted March 04, 2002 - 10:09 PM

I've tried both the MT21 and D606 on my bike. The D606 is much easier to pitch sideways on a fireroad than the MT21. The MT21 has a nasty habit of letting go big time when you start to slide. It does hook up again but the rear is really hung out further than you intended.
The D606 is more predictable. Both the tires have good tread life.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 04, 2002 - 11:00 AM

I ride in soft-to-intermediate terrain conditions. The Kenda Trakmaster II is the best in my opinion for it. The rear is practically a clone of the Dunlop D756 and wears very well. The front Kenda is pretty much garbage in my experience. I've been using a Dunlop D905 in the front. It's nowhere near a Michelin S-12 in grip, but it does a pretty good job.

• bonez34

Posted March 04, 2002 - 07:24 PM

I use the same setup as Rich, 905 front and kenda trakmaster in rear. This combo is cheap, dot approved, lasts long and is as knobby as any motocross tire out there.

the kenda is like $35.99 from chapparal and for that price I guarantee two of these will far outlast the $60 dunlop 606!

The trakmaster is a soft terrain tire and does chunk on hard terrain, but it rips in sand and soft stuff. EXACT copy of the old dunlop 752.

• Dizzy_Al

Posted March 05, 2002 - 04:09 PM

Bamster check your P.M

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 05, 2002 - 05:04 PM

Originally posted by bonez34:
The trakmaster is a soft terrain tire and does chunk on hard terrain, but it rips in sand and soft stuff. EXACT copy of the old dunlop 752.

Thanks, bonez34, for clearing that up for me. I knew the Trakmaster was a copy of one of the Dunlops. Now I can pretend I knew it all the time when I talk to my buddies. :)

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 05, 2002 - 05:43 PM

...And I just went to Chaparral online and ordered a K760 Trakmaster II 110/100-18 for $43.99, which includes shipping. That's the best price I've ever seen on these things!

• LarryCO

Posted March 05, 2002 - 06:21 PM

Just curious...but has anyone been pulled over for not having DOT rated tires? Out in Colorado/Utah? I'm running the Michelin M12's...and like them so far...but they're obviously not DOT rated. I only ride the streets once in a blue moon...to get into a town to get gas when I'm out...but that's about it.

Larry

• lewichris

Posted March 06, 2002 - 05:29 AM

i am pretty sure in idaho you dont need DOT tires. Before arguing make sure you know for sure. I will check some more

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.