Have you spanked a sportbike in the twisties on your motard?

18 replies to this topic
  • jdilpkle

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Let's hear about it. Can you recount a ride when your 'tard truly gave a sportbike fits on a on a tight twisty piece of tarmac? What were the particulars? It would be great to hear about R1's and the sort doin' double takes in their mirrors with a lowly thumper ready to thump 'em good.
jdilpkle:applause: :p

• frogman

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Its so easy to outbreak em', on my 650 I eat the big bikes up going into corners up in the mountains.
Like taking candy from a baby, but my riding companions really made me pay for it on the long straights afterwards.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:39 PM

my 650 isn't motarded, but my WR450 was for a while. I gave a new cbr1000rr fits on the road to tortilla flats. he got so angry he couldn't get away from me, it was funny. he rode well, but as he got more frustrated, he started overshooting corners and making mistakes, so I was about to back off, when we both got pulled over. :-( but we didn't get tickets cop was amazed we stoped. good thing, because he had a roadblock setup 1 mile down the road. and no side pull offs available in that area.

• Denn10

Posted August 14, 2007 - 05:50 AM

i dont know how you out brake a sport bike that has dual front brakes LOL my CBR will out brake any MX bike ive ever had. But my first ride on my relatively stock XRL in the mountains and i was hanging with my buddies on a GSXR600 and a Ninja 1000 they were like WTF are we going slow? AND i was on Dunlop 606 nobbies LOL

• cleonard

Posted August 14, 2007 - 06:29 AM

I'm with Denn10 on this one. It's all about the rider. At low speeds you might have a chance, but at higher speeds forget it. How many people can use a liter sport bike to anywhere near it's potential. One out of a hundred who own one? One out of a thousand?

One advantage that dirt riders have is that we are very used to being right on the edge of traction, and if a tire slides some it's no big deal. Most street only drivers have panic at the first loss of traction.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 14, 2007 - 08:49 AM

motards will rock a tight rode. let the spotbikes, even a 600 open it up on a sweeper, and they just run away from us like we are a handicapped kid with an electric wheelchair.

That being said, the MUCH lighter weight allows for outbreaking, since breaks just convert momentum into heat, we have less momentum at same speed, so less deceleration/heat required. also, same contact patch between motard and sportbike front tire.

wide handlebars, narrow rear tire, and light weight allow easy flicking side to side in tight situations. now that being said get over about 45 mph and the sportbikes gearing/motor just walk from you.

• wheelnut46

Posted August 14, 2007 - 09:14 AM

Yeah but dirtbikes use only a single disc compared to the sportbike's 2 and it's much smaller than a brake used on a sportbike.
The only sportbike I've ridden is my friend's Ducati 748 and that thing will do stoppies. My XRL will not.
Maybe it's time for a new disc?

• martinfan30

Posted August 14, 2007 - 10:05 AM

Yeah but dirtbikes use only a single disc compared to the sportbike's 2 and it's much smaller than a brake used on a sportbike.
The only sportbike I've ridden is my friend's Ducati 748 and that thing will do stoppies. My XRL will not.
Maybe it's time for a new disc?

motard front disc's would do it.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 14, 2007 - 10:15 AM

could just be tires/pads/brake bleed condition too. here's my DRZ back in 2002. don't have any pics of my WR, but it did stoppies just fine on the stock rotor. although the 320 made em better
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted August 14, 2007 - 10:20 AM

now that being said get over about 45 mph and the sportbikes gearing/motor just walk from you.

YEAH thats about 10k RPM in 1st gear on my 600RR lol

• cleonard

Posted August 14, 2007 - 10:20 AM

I bet that the tires and perhaps some body english is required. My XR600 just locks up on the front tire, no stoppie. I don't have sticky street tires and I do have a lot of weight holding the back end down.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 14, 2007 - 11:04 AM

yeah, body english helps a lot, and its faster to stop with the back wheel down. same with accelerating, a wheelie slows your acceleration because extra power causes you to rotate, not slow/speed up

• gabriel

Posted August 14, 2007 - 12:57 PM

I'm with Denn10 on this one. It's all about the rider. At low speeds you might have a chance, but at higher speeds forget it. How many people can use a liter sport bike to anywhere near it's potential. One out of a hundred who own one? One out of a thousand?

One advantage that dirt riders have is that we are very used to being right on the edge of traction, and if a tire slides some it's no big deal. Most street only drivers have panic at the first loss of traction.

I agree 200% with that and I was trying to explain it to somone the other day but somehow i didn't have the right words! I really think for that reason that riding on dirt makes you a better street rider too!

• frogman

Posted August 14, 2007 - 05:44 PM

I've been riding and racing for over 30 years, and theres just something about doing stoppies that keeps me from a serious attempt at trying them.

Its like something I'm sure will end in disaster for me.

THE FIRST PEOPLE TO EVER DO THAT MUST HAVE BEEN A BIT NUTS.

• Talonboy

Posted August 15, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Stoppies can be done with knobbies, but it is easier with a universal or street tire. It's all about braking progressively harder, while transferring weight forward.
I have beat many sport bikes with my dual-sport bikes over the years. Many of the times it was riding skills and road knowledge.
The road has to be fairly tight, with no high speed straights for a thumper to beat a modern sport bike with equal riders. The "dragon" at deals gap in TN is a perfect example.

• martinfan30

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:47 AM

I agree 200% with that and I was trying to explain it to somone the other day but somehow i didn't have the right words! I really think for that reason that riding on dirt makes you a better street rider too!

thats funny! i was just explaining to my buddy last night how my wife just got her first bike. an 07 shadow 750 and how it scares me. i told him that being a dirt rider first makes a better road rider! shes never ridden off road which has been my concern with her on the street.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:48 PM

How do you begin to practice a stoppie? I thought trying it in the dirt or on a hard packed dirt road might be better if I do fall. I am just nervous I will get the rear up and the bike will twist to one side or another and there I go to the ground! Is the XR650R a tough bike to do stoppies or? I am set up for dirt riding with knobbies, with stock braking, but dual sport to and from trails and around town. I think it is a cool trick to master, to show off at times, kinda like wheeling down the strip... :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted August 15, 2007 - 05:54 PM

http://www.dirtrodde...om/stoppie.html

http://www.wikihow.c...on-a-Motorcycle

http://www.metacafe....ppie_professor/

It is funny how many poeple want to argue something they haven't tried, or have no idea about. Then there are others that don't have any trouble asking why or how. I think it makes a difference in those that will and those that will never. I have found for me on the XR650R (I now have the 280mm rotor) it takes all the ballafortitude I can muster. I have to pop myself forward as I hit the lever quite hard, harder then my brian wants to let me. I have done a stoppie twice on my ST1300 and both times it wasn't very well done. The XR400 is much easier then the XR650R. I need to practice on the XR650R I have only done it a few times and all but, once with the bigger front rotor. I have never done any stoppie well but, I try.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:41 PM

I've done some long ones, mostly on my TL1000
Posted Image

mostly just gotta work up to it with progressive braking.

started doing them in the dirt on my WR too, havn't done one on the XR yet, but I'm runnind some kenda K270s that don't brake that well, especially with the huge tank/bags.

although thats changing right now.
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.