Leaking fuel

4 replies to this topic
  • David Busch

Posted August 13, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I purchased a YZ426(2001) a month ago and when I start it gas keeps leaking from the overflow lines. It has an aftermarket Edelbrock carbuerator on it. Ive taken it apart to see if the float was stuck and it wasnt. I dont know what it could be. Please help. Thank you.

• axo959

Posted August 14, 2007 - 11:50 AM

adjust the float height by bending the small metal tab upward a bit so the 'plunger' will seal off the incoming fuel inlet sooner as the floats rise with the fuel level in the bowl.

there is a float height tool and a spec, but if you dont want to look into buying one and getting the spec, you can use trial and error. just adjust in small increments. you want it sealing off fuel about when the floats are level if i recall correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Evans14

Posted August 18, 2007 - 10:28 AM

that happend to my XR 100 when it sat all winter i just ran it for a while.

• 642MX

Posted August 18, 2007 - 01:35 PM

I purchased a YZ426(2001) a month ago and when I start it gas keeps leaking from the overflow lines. It has an aftermarket Edelbrock carbuerator on it. Ive taken it apart to see if the float was stuck and it wasnt. I dont know what it could be. Please help. Thank you.

3 things it could be.

1. Float height is one, but if the bike runs right, the float height is probably correct or close enough.

2. A piece of trash (dirt, debris) is stuck between the needle and seat (also called the float valve)

3. If there is a rubber tip on the needle, it could be worn causing fuel to leak by. If the tip is rubber hold it up to the light and see if you can find a ring wore into the rubber. If its worn, replace it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2007 - 03:58 PM

3. If there is a rubber tip on the needle, it could be worn causing fuel to leak by. If the tip is rubber hold it up to the light and see if you can find a ring wore into the rubber. If its worn, replace it.

This is especially probable if the bike sat dry for a lengthy period after it had been well used. The needle tip, and other "rubber" parts of the carb can dry out and shrink. In that case, it may get over it after being wet for a while.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.