Adjusting Valves.. Hard?

24 replies to this topic
  • motometal

Posted August 18, 2007 - 08:59 AM

I just did this (for the first time) on my '93 xrl last weekend. According to Clymer, you turn the crank to TDC on the compression stroke. All four valves will have play in them on the compression stroke and all four can be adjusted. If you are at TDC and two of the valves are open (no play), you are on the top of the exhaust stroke and the crank should be turned another 360 degree.

I am not convinced that my fat, flat auto feeler gauges were the right tool for the job. It seemed there was a lot of bending and twisting to get the gauge into the gap. I think next time I'll get gauges specifically for the task.

Good luck.

I'm probably using the same ones you have, just carefully bend the last 1/2" or so at a bit of an angle as needed and they will work fine. To be correct, the feeler shouldn't be rubbing on the head cover (the area where the cap screws in).

• Frank ZX

Posted August 18, 2007 - 09:01 AM

I tryed to adjust my valves yesterday.I put piston at TDC,had play in all 4 valves.When I put the wide bulky feeler between valve and rocker arm,it seemed too tight.So I left it alone.I had the correct size gauges 0.10 and
0.12mm.Is it common for the valves to get tight,or did I just have the feeler gauge at the wrong angle?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 18, 2007 - 09:12 AM

it is normal for a valve to get tight as the seat is beaten up into the head.

• motometal

Posted August 18, 2007 - 05:44 PM

I tryed to adjust my valves yesterday.I put piston at TDC,had play in all 4 valves.When I put the wide bulky feeler between valve and rocker arm,it seemed too tight.So I left it alone.I had the correct size gauges 0.10 and
0.12mm.Is it common for the valves to get tight,or did I just have the feeler gauge at the wrong angle?

Buy a whole set of feelers, they are cheap from the auto parts store. Start with one of the really thin ones. Bend them a bit as needed. Get a "feel" with the looser ones, then work your way up until you start to feel drag. Slight drag is where you are at for a measurement. It takes very little turning on the adjuster to make a difference. For that reason, after adjusting I usually just snug the nut, check, if it's ok I tighten fully, then double check. This is usually a pretty uneventful operation (no adjustment req) unless you have put a ton of miles since the last check, or have recently put in new components such as a new cam, valves, etc.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:53 AM

it is normal for a valve to get tight as the seat is beaten up into the head.

If the seat mushes, or gets beaten into the head, or if the valve face cups, or if the stem stretches, the clearance will indeed get smaller.

I have heard of an XRL valve seat coming loose, but not of them being bashed into the head.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.