What are the best bars?

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 17, 2000 - 03:03 PM

I'm only new to this forum, so please be gentle... :)

I'm about to buy a brand spanking WR400FM, and was wondering what brand of bars to replace the stock ones with. The dealer told me Tommaselli bars were good, but I'd like to get a second opinion.

Canberra, Australia.

• Taffy

Posted September 18, 2000 - 12:41 AM

get a set of pro taper bars, expensive but you won't regret it. Why? because you won't get arm pump, you'll never bend them & you don't need a support bar across the middle.

you'll need to buy the bars & the conversion clamps. the bar is 1" in the middle & goes down to the standard size for all your switchgear.

my mate has rhuematism (spelling?) & he finally relented & got a set. love's em!

in the uk the bars are £60 the conversion clamps are £40 but you can get bars & a top yoke that allows the bars to be moved infront of the crown nut for £120. this is a hot mod for the bike & it improves the ergonomics & bike control as well as help clearing up a problem of the front wheel sliding away slightly.

if you buy the conversion clamps ask for a set of low bars because that will keep them at the original height. also your cables won't reach if you have higher bars!!!

i bet you wouldn't want that hassle.

i'm sure the rest of the lads on this site will to a lesser or greater degree agree with this.

• Bill

Posted September 18, 2000 - 02:26 AM

No offense but I don't like the way Pro-Tapers feel. Since they do not utilize a crossbar they flex. I like the feedback of the front wheel that a more rigid bar provides. I run the Renthals.

And hopefully with my new Scots dampner, I'll reduce arm pump.

My .02 cents and yes you can give me change!

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gary_Kessler

Posted September 18, 2000 - 07:19 AM

My riding style has allowed me to test many bars (i.e., I crash a lot). I tried Protapers, and I bent them. I liked them, but it took some getting used to. Renthals were arm-pump h*(l and they bend too easily.

I'm now running a pair of Azonics. I like them a lot. Double walled fat bars w/crossbar. Not a lot of arm fatigue and they are sturdy!! My son has a pair of DeMarini (Chaparelle sells them), yz bend bars. They are excellent! No fat bar conversion kits, sturdy and they don't transfer vibration to the arms and hands. If I ruin the Azonics I'll get the DeMarini Platnium bars when them come out.

My opinion. . .based on first hand testing! :)

'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system & UNI air filter, Jetting by the firm of Clark, James & Bryan; soon to have Damper because I keep crashing (like it's going to help!). . .

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 18, 2000 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone, or has anyone, know of anyone that does, or has used Tommaselli bars at all? I need to get an overall picture before I spend my hard earned dollars... And also, has anyone replaced their stock speedo with a digital one they make for bicycles???

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 18, 2000 - 05:41 PM

I crashed a few times very hard, before I used pro tapers and feels exelent but it bend,about 2 months bought my wr400 2000 and decide try a new bar so I buy phs acerbis bar this really works and do not bend I tell you this because I crashed hard and nothigs happen. the cost is around $180 USD.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.