08 450 Review 07vs08

30 replies to this topic
  • polarbear

Posted August 25, 2007 - 08:38 PM

Good review. This is very exciting. I picked up the white one on Saturday and haven't gotten to ride it yet (had to head to the races on the 07). The reason I am excited is the turning everyone is talking about. I felt like the 07 pushed in tight flat corners and wanted to stay vertical in fast sweepers. If I can get the same improvements in lap times you got then I will be able to get a little higher in the money.

I am nervous about the bottom end though. I really thought the 07 was sluggish off the bottom but it did improve with the WB al pro 2 and the Zip Ty mod (more from the Pipe, the ZipTy just cleaned things up a bit). I am planning on breaking in the 08 tomorrow night. After break in, I am going to turn several hot laps, let it cool down, throw on the White Brothers and see what it does. Hopefully it will wake up the bottom and not hurt the top end you are talking about, also felt the 07 signs off a little early.

WOOHOO, can't wait to see if i get the same cornering results as you. I would take handling over power anyday.

I have been waiting patiently to see if your WB Pipe livened up the bottom end on your 08... PLEASE LET US KNOW!!!

• cnorton

Posted September 02, 2007 - 04:00 PM

Then I find 07s for 4900 otd 1700 bucks cheaper than a 08 i can do alot of mods for 1700 bucks sh$ttttttttttttttttttttttt im confused

I just bought a brand new 07 YZ450F on Friday, $5480 out the door, I'm just coming off an 05 RMZ450, I've ridden it once and all I can say is money well spent, havent experienced the turning issues everyone is talking about, feels as good as my suzuki did so far, is it really that bad? all I know is this bike is gunna be fun to race, love the power, I'm leaving it bone stock, just need to get the 1/4 throttle sputter and surging out of it and it will be perfect!!!

• ZMoney520

Posted September 07, 2007 - 06:08 PM

Sorry I haven't been able to get back on here to report on putting my WB exhaust on the 2008. Spent a couple of weeks sick in bed and finally got to really ride it this last weekend. Wasn't able to ride long enough to change out the exhaust on it.

Some info on first ride though. The power is definitely better in the mid and top than the 07. YOu get that power hit that makes your arms straighten out. The bottom isn't bad, it just feels like it doesn't want to get into the power as easily. You can't be lazy with it, have to hammer down. But the awesome thing is it HOOKS UP. No squiding out coming out of the corner. Just rolled it on and your gone. On the 07, unless there was a berm, I had to roll it on a little slower to keep it from breaking free. Overall though, I believe the power is better than the 07 stock.

Turning. My first impression was that it wasn't much better than my 07 except in flat tight turns without ruts or berms. The 07 front end would always push and the 08 is solid as a rock. I didn't feel the front end was going to wash at all and the track was hard packed and dusty. As for quick turns, diving inside, changing direction, etc, I couldn't tell a difference ( believe it is more my poor riding position) until I threw on my SDG tall foam seat. Holy crap, this thing is awesome in the turns now. It really allows you to get up on the gas tank where you need to be. So the real question, is this an 08 characteristic or can the 07 be just as good with this seat on it. Can't answer that one.

So back to the WB exhaut. I hope to get a chance to throw it on in the next week and try it out. I am racing tomorrow and I don't want to risk putting it on and having an issue with jetting or anything because right now the bike seems perfectly jetted. Rather save that change for a practice day.

• jakethomson

Posted September 08, 2007 - 04:25 PM

Zmoney520 You Said You Put A White Bros Alum2 And It Didn't Help Out. I Have Been Thinking About Gettin That, But You Don't Seem To Happy With It. Would You Do It Again? Or Would You Do A Dr.d Or Mrd? Just Wondering?

• Ga426owner

Posted September 08, 2007 - 05:54 PM

I couldn't tell a difference ( believe it is more my poor riding position) until I threw on my SDG tall foam seat. Holy crap, this thing is awesome in the turns now. It really allows you to get up on the gas tank where you need to be. So the real question, is this an 08 characteristic or can the 07 be just as good with this seat on it. Can't answer that one..

I can.....it definitely makes a 06/07 turn better. The 08 has other changes to assist in turning, but I bet the tall seat will make it even better....:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • honda597

Posted September 09, 2007 - 12:56 AM

http://www.thumperta...=431353&page=14 As you can see in post #133 see my 08 runs the WHITE BROS CARBON PRO full system.It does add a little more life to the bottom, but i still favor the original systems powercurve and noise level. This system was bought for my 07 and bolted right up without any drama's

• ZMoney520

Posted September 09, 2007 - 04:08 PM

I didn't say i didn't like the WB exhaust. I loved it on the 07 but have not had a chance to test it on the 08 yet. Hoping to do so this week.

• polarbear

Posted September 10, 2007 - 08:07 PM

Well guys we did something interesting with my buddy's new 08 yz 450 saturday at the track. As you all know, a lot of people have been complaining (including myself) that it has now low-end. It sure feels that way. Well there was him, me on my 06 crf 450, my cousin on is 07 crf 450, and this other guy on an 05 rmz 450. We all took turns running hole shots against the yz 450. We would ride our own bikes a couple of hole shots, and then we would switch bikes and do a couple more. The track we ride on is loose soil, mixed with manuer and sawdust. We were totally surprised because 80% of the time, who ever was on the yz 450, would win the hole shot! We couldn't believe it. I'm still stunned. ALL BIKES ARE STOCK. We then figured it was winning because of the "tractable" low end power. It doesn't just take off spinning out of control. The rear wheel takes off spinning less and tracking better. We then went to the hard dirt off the track and did the some take offs and who ever was on the yz still won most of the time. I wouldn't say 80% of the time but more like 65 to 70% of the time. This last saturday was an absolute eye opener for me. It seems like if people can just get used of the YZ's slow roll on power they will realize that they are actually going faster. Everyone always wants more power, including me, but now I'm wondering myself if I've got the concept all backwards. The one thing the YZ does do well is hit really hard from the upper mid rpm range to the top. But it sure does feel mellow down low, but I guess it must work, we couldn't believe it on saturday.

• Polar_Bus

Posted September 11, 2007 - 02:38 AM

Sounds like a great amount of credible feedback on the '08's. The more I read, the more I am curious as to the offsets for my '07. I guess you don't appreciate something until you actually feel it. I think I just might have to pull the trigger and try the offset clamps. I am just so worried about loosing the Yamaha's amazing tracking and stability as a downfall.

Now I need to ask the hard question how "forgiving" is the 08's engine for all of us old hags who are less than "A" level riders??????? That's what sell bikes, NOT a killer engine, but a usable engine...... I LOVE my '07's power delivery, and will NEVER change a thing.....

• Hcor

Posted September 11, 2007 - 04:21 AM

Now I need to ask the hard question how "forgiving" is the 08's engine for all of us old hags who are less than "A" level riders??????? That's what sell bikes, NOT a killer engine, but a usable engine...... I LOVE my '07's power delivery, and will NEVER change a thing.....

Your right, and thats why this year I moved up to the 450 from an older 250f. I never rode the 07, but I can tell you that the power delivery on the 08 is smooth and strong. The best way I can describe it is Very controllable. I couldnt be happier. It forgives the little mistakes, but is a beast when you want it to be. This is a great bike for most of us non paid to ride guys. On top of that the handling on this thing is amazing, and being able to put the power on the ground under control and rail corners is more important to me than how much it rips my arms off when i touch the throttle.

• djtroy

Posted September 12, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Im not sure if this will work for everyone, but a friend of mine that just got an 08 yz450 was having some bog issues. He took the one way vent out of the gas tank vent hose and just left it as a normal tube. He says his bog issues have dissapeared and his bike runs great. It may be for some other unknown reason, but that is the only change he made in between the bogging and the bike running strong. Try it out and see if their is any difference...it can be undone easily.:thumbsup:

The bog issue is the lack of bottom end power.
LOL just kidding..... kinda :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.