08 450 Review 07vs08

30 replies to this topic
  • YamieRider411

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:55 AM

OK girls, here’s a review of the 08 I bought Saturday morning.

Picked the bike up Saturday morning and brought it home to get it ready to ride. I loaded up my 07 and 08 450 and headed to the local track. Rode around a little while to get her good and broke in, then I cut her loose.

The very first thing I noticed was how much quieter the 08 is compared to the 07. The engine noise that is so apparent on the 07 is now completely gone. No more tic tic tic tic. The 08 muffler noise isn’t as sharp as the 07. I guess this can only help the nose situation.

The second thing I noticed was the steering. They worked some magic with the changes because there is a night and day difference between the 07 and 08. All the other changes seemed minute compared to the sheering difference. Wow, I gotta say that Yamaha did a good job at figuring this out. I was riding my 07 for three laps then I would hop on the 08 for another three laps and I bet you I was making up 5 to 10 seconds a lap in just corner speed on the 08. WOW… If you are trying to decide whether to buy an 07 or 08, this would be the decision maker for me.

The suspension felt great for an out of the crate bike. Enzo did my 07 suspension so it’s a little difficult to compare the two but for the most part it the same old, better than the other brands, Yamaha stock suspension. I can tell you that I remember my 07 when it was stock, the 08 has it beat by just a small margin. It feels a little plusher than the stock 07. The forks need heavier springs but by in large the stock suspension works great.

My impression of the engine is that the bottom end could use a little help. A pipe system and some carb work would completely solve this problem. The top end is amazing. On my 07 I have a Pro Circuit pipe system, a carb kit, Hinson clutch plates, Pro Circuit clutch springs and I run VP U4.2, the 08’s top end beat it hands down. I don’t know if it’s the upgraded clutch spring or the change in the cam, but the top end on the 08 smokes. This bike’s top WILL rip your arms out of there sockets. No joke.

Final impression… I love the new bike. The steering is the biggy for me. The track I was riding has every type of corner you can image and this bike did a better job than the 07 hands down. As far as the other differences, you really have to pay very close attention to tell the differences. So that’s my two cents… Peace.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Ga426owner

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:07 AM

Good review Ga rider....where did you end up purchasing from?

• adamdf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:02 AM

Finally, a review that spent more time talking about the difference in the cornering with the new model vs 07. That was the ONLY thing that had me concerned on going with the 08 450, it is now an option again for me.

• matts06yzf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:35 PM

found a white one for $6650 otd damnit man I want this bad boy, But people keep bitching about the bottom end power hmmmmmmmmmm what should I do?????????? Im big and I want some bottom

• Ga426owner

Posted August 13, 2007 - 01:39 PM

found a white one for $6650 otd damnit man I want this bad boy, But people keep bitching about the bottom end power hmmmmmmmmmm what should I do??????????

Matt go ahead and buy it...slap your o6 pipe on it and rock and roll

"Im big and I want some bottom".......I am not sure what to say to this:eek: :eek:

• polarbear

Posted August 13, 2007 - 02:56 PM

That was a nice review. Best one yet. My brother has an 07 yz 450 and his bottom end seems luggy and then it hits, it almost has a two stroke fill. I was wondering if your 07 was the same and if it was what did you do to liven up the bottom???

• YamieRider411

Posted August 13, 2007 - 03:42 PM

The Pro Circuit Pipe system and the carb kit did the trick. I'm still playing with the jets but these two things will work. I read an article and they said that the header on the 07 was fine and you could just buy a slip on. Sounded good to me. I think all the header lengths for the aftermarket stuff are the same as stock.

Forgot to talk about the pegs on the 08... Fat little suckers. Work great with my big feet. :applause:

Bought it from Capital Cycle in Macon GA. 6800 OTD...

• matts06yzf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:07 PM

to make this decision even harder. My good friend owns the honda and suzuki dealership. So I go in today to get some tubes and chain lube, and hes sayd 5 grand otd for 07 rmz 450 the carmichael edition. I dont want a zuk but damn thats a good deal....

• matts06yzf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:25 PM

Then I find 07s for 4900 otd 1700 bucks cheaper than a 08 i can do alot of mods for 1700 bucks sh$ttttttttttttttttttttttt im confused

• WB450

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:44 PM

Get the 07 and be done with it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ZMoney520

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Good review. This is very exciting. I picked up the white one on Saturday and haven't gotten to ride it yet (had to head to the races on the 07). The reason I am excited is the turning everyone is talking about. I felt like the 07 pushed in tight flat corners and wanted to stay vertical in fast sweepers. If I can get the same improvements in lap times you got then I will be able to get a little higher in the money.

I am nervous about the bottom end though. I really thought the 07 was sluggish off the bottom but it did improve with the WB al pro 2 and the Zip Ty mod (more from the Pipe, the ZipTy just cleaned things up a bit). I am planning on breaking in the 08 tomorrow night. After break in, I am going to turn several hot laps, let it cool down, throw on the White Brothers and see what it does. Hopefully it will wake up the bottom and not hurt the top end you are talking about, also felt the 07 signs off a little early.

WOOHOO, can't wait to see if i get the same cornering results as you. I would take handling over power anyday.

• BergArabia

Posted August 14, 2007 - 03:29 AM

Whatever you do remember that is (assuming you are good for it and not in debt up to your ears) you will have forgotten all about the money in a few months time but the bike will still be there. Get the one you want...

• DPW

Posted August 14, 2007 - 03:38 PM

Then I find 07s for 4900 otd 1700 bucks cheaper than a 08 i can do alot of mods for 1700 bucks sh$ttttttttttttttttttttttt im confused

'08 bud....that is what I would do at least.

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2007 - 04:19 PM

... i can do alot of mods for 1700 bucks

He has a point:
Applied 24mm clamps $400
Dr.D SS exhaust $550
Zip-Ty Carb $100
Suspension Work $650

Total $1700

I'd ride it. :excuseme:

• 02YZ426

Posted August 14, 2007 - 05:46 PM

What did they change in the 08 to fix the turning issue?

• polarbear

Posted August 14, 2007 - 05:53 PM

everyone is always talking about the zip ty mod and I have never even bothered to ask, but now the curiosity is out the roof. If this will help my bro's 07 with more bottom end grunt then I should look into this. So... what is the zip ty mod???

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2007 - 06:51 PM

What did they change in the 08 to fix the turning issue?

Judging by the geometry measurements in the manual, they went to a 24mm clamp offset.

everyone is always talking about the zip ty mod ... what is the zip ty mod???

The airways in the main fuel circuit are modified, and a different needle jet/emulsion tube are installed. Then they do the accelerator pump wiring mod. The result on an '06 is a stunning improvement in throttle responsiveness and overall crispness.

• pba123

Posted August 14, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Im not sure if this will work for everyone, but a friend of mine that just got an 08 yz450 was having some bog issues. He took the one way vent out of the gas tank vent hose and just left it as a normal tube. He says his bog issues have dissapeared and his bike runs great. It may be for some other unknown reason, but that is the only change he made in between the bogging and the bike running strong. Try it out and see if their is any difference...it can be undone easily.:ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 15, 2007 - 05:17 AM

everyone is always talking about the zip ty mod and I have never even bothered to ask, but now the curiosity is out the roof. If this will help my bro's 07 with more bottom end grunt then I should look into this. So... what is the zip ty mod???

it is 1 - well worth 100-115 bucks
2 - carb is totally cleaned - all components
3 - carb AP Mod/wired up is added, LJ is changed with new Billet AP linkage
4 - carb is rejetted and tuned to perfection
5 - emulsion tube is added depending on carb model

All of this totally eradicates all bogging, adds 1 - 1.5 hp, add makes any yamaha seem like a totally new bike, Throttle response is a lot better and power for starts and coming out of corners is much better than stock:thumbsup:

Call em and ask to speak to Steve -
http://www.ziptyracing.com

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 07:39 AM

3 - carb AP Mod/wired up is added, LJ is changed with new Billet AP linkage

Is that now part of the standard job, or still an add-on?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.