Honest Opinions

3 replies to this topic
  • BenjaminPQ

Posted January 25, 2001 - 06:54 PM

I need some honest advice from you guys....please no biased opinions cause you are all Yamaha lovers :)
I am looking at a 98 wr400 and I have a few questions.

Is this bike capable of being a full hare scramble race bike?

Am I going to have a lot of expensive repairs needed?

Is the suspension capable of motocross and exacly how does it differ from the YZ400?

How does this bike compare to one of the most capable woods bikes, a KTM300exc as far as speed and handling in the woods?

Thanks for the help!
BenjaminPQ

• Taffy

Posted January 26, 2001 - 01:57 AM

how much do you weigh?

if you weigh 15olb you don't need to do much to the sussies. the ktm is probably as good; but they are different animals. usual rules for 2s & 4s apply.

they are very reliable. the carb slides crack on the early ones, & very rarely a con-rod has let go on the yz. you can't do a one-mile straight on MX gearing forever you know!!!

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fred

Posted January 26, 2001 - 03:33 AM

I have a 99 wr400, I live in western Pa.
This summer I ran some HS on my wr, the power is nice, the whole bike is nice, but for one thing they're top heavy.
In tight woods with slick conditions, you find yourself fighting to keep the bike up, which starts to kill your shoulders..
and it is just not me, two other guy's at the track say the same thing..

If you race more open, the wr is hard to beat.
More tight woods, I would go with the 300 exc..

If you want to buy a 99wr, I'll sell you mine.
I found a 99 300mxc I want to get..
724-354-4934

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 27, 2001 - 04:09 AM

I've ridden WE400 fom '98.
I don't know KTM300.
So I think depens on your riding situation.
WR is better in high speed section, but you feel sorry to choice this bike in enduro situation.
But this bike has power.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.