My XR650L Motard project

44 replies to this topic
  • DenialDeath

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:01 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

• DenialDeath

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:12 AM

The bike is a 98 the motor is stock for now but I am already wanting more power. Here are the mods in no particular order:

Frame has been braced, painted 2004 GM dark spiral metallic, and modified to hold the new seat and rear plastic.

Plastic is 2002-07 CR250R

Seat is off of a 2004 CR125R that I recovered myself for about $8 worth of vinyl

Headlight is a knock off acerbis blitz style which I replaced the 20watt bulbs with 50watt units

UFO supermoto spade front fender is on the way along with black fork guards

2005 CRF250 forks (were off of a race bike that had the suspension work done)

I made a brass bushing to allow the stock xrl stem to be pressed into the crf triples.

Carmichael bend pro tapers (leftover from my streetfighter) and adapters

Rear shock is a 12.7kg Eibach

Stainless lines front and rear

R1 radial master cylinder

Motomaster rotor
Motomaster caliper

Black Behr rims on red RAD Mfg Hex hubs

Pilot Race tires

FCR41 carb

Uni Airfilter

Battery sits in a custom box under the seat

smog garbage removed

shortened rear brake master cylinder resivoir hose

2005 RMZ250 slip on

Trail tech Vapor computer

DIY oil temp-stick

Stock gearing with steel replacement sprockets 15/45 . This seems to be pretty good for the street with 17's. Max speed according to my trail tech was 117mph which seems kind of high. I know my speedo is about as accurate as a new gsxr600. Oh, the rotor magnet keeps falling off so once I get another one on and better secured I'm going to check my speed vs. gps or the town cop's radar gun.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:22 AM

Very sweet ride indeed! Thats not a factory WB pipe is it?

You forgot to mention what oil cooler you have hung there. That looks like a much nicer option than mounting something up by the number plate where the oil lines would be subject to constant movement. Do you mind sharing the details on your oil cooling setup?

• DenialDeath

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:29 AM

Very sweet ride indeed! Thats not a factory WB pipe is it?

You forgot to mention what oil cooler you have hung there. That looks like a much nicer option than mounting something up by the number plate where the oil lines would be subject to constant movement. Do you mind sharing the details on your oil cooling setup?

Oh yes, that is a Honda 400EX oil cooler I snagged off ebay. Made my own aluminum brackets to mount it where the original lower tank fins tabs. The pipe is the stock unit off of a suzuki rmz250

• martinfan30

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:39 AM

i am also running a fcr41. i put the battery in the airbox so i use a uni pod filt. what jetting do you have in yours? also what is your ele? how does it run? throttle response, any hesistation? sorry bout all the ?!

• DenialDeath

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:45 PM

i am also running a fcr41. i put the battery in the airbox so i use a uni pod filt. what jetting do you have in yours? also what is your ele? how does it run? throttle response, any hesistation? sorry bout all the ?!

Main jet..............#172
Needle................EMR
Needle clip...........5th position from top
Float level...........9mm
Slow air jet........100
Main fuel jet.........#200
Pilot jet.............#48
Pilot mixture screw....2 or 2.5 turns out

I got this set up from another guy on the board. He was running a 170 main though.

My elevation is 750-800 feet

It runs great, much better than with the CV carb and the pod filter. The throttle response is very crisp and it revs way faster than before. I have not tried adjusting the accel. pump(leak jet) as I think it is working well enough right now.

Also, I have been running this setup with a small 4" K&N filter, hopefully my new 6" UNI filter arrives at the dealership today, it should flow better. The 6" won't work with the stock airbox in place, that is why I made my own battery box to allow room for the filter. I'll take some more pics once I get the front fender and fork guards on.

• Frank ZX

Posted August 13, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Nice bike.I've been looking at it on SMJ.I have a XRL also.How and where do you brace the frame?Where are the weak points?Thanks for the info.

• martinfan30

Posted August 13, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Main jet..............#172
Needle................EMR
Needle clip...........5th position from top
Float level...........9mm
Slow air jet........100
Main fuel jet.........#200
Pilot jet.............#48
Pilot mixture screw....2 or 2.5 turns out

I got this set up from another guy on the board. He was running a 170 main though.

My elevation is 750-800 feet

It runs great, much better than with the CV carb and the pod filter. The throttle response is very crisp and it revs way faster than before. I have not tried adjusting the accel. pump(leak jet) as I think it is working well enough right now.

Also, I have been running this setup with a small 4" K&N filter, hopefully my new 6" UNI filter arrives at the dealership today, it should flow better. The 6" won't work with the stock airbox in place, that is why I made my own battery box to allow room for the filter. I'll take some more pics once I get the front fender and fork guards on.

im kinda shocked at your needle position. ive got it 3rd(middle) on the needle. i guess with that big main its ok. thanks!:thumbsup:

• DenialDeath

Posted August 13, 2007 - 01:58 PM

Nice bike.I've been looking at it on SMJ.I have a XRL also.How and where do you brace the frame?Where are the weak points?Thanks for the info.

I have only braced the frame at the bottom of the subframe where it is welded to the main part of the frame. If you put pressure on the passenger pegs on your bike you will see that you can get that part of the subframe to twist. I saw it on an adventure bike. If you look where the bottom part of the subframe meets the frame you will see a tiny little brace on the inside. I made a bigger brace and welded it on the outside. Now when you put pressure on the pass. peg the subframe doesn't twist or flex. Next time I have the bike completely down to the frame I plan on doing more chassis bracing. I am going to put an X member on the bottom under the motor and redo the subframe bracing on the bottom as well as adding to the top.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• DenialDeath

Posted August 13, 2007 - 02:02 PM

im kinda shocked at your needle position. ive got it 3rd(middle) on the needle. i guess with that big main its ok. thanks!:thumbsup:

I agree, I think it is running a bit rich so I am going to try the clip in the 4th position.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DenialDeath

Posted August 13, 2007 - 02:04 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted August 13, 2007 - 02:40 PM

I agree, I think it is running a bit rich so I am going to try the clip in the 4th position.

let me know how it changes!

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the info about the oil cooler. I am going to be all over that!

• ThunderChicken

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:32 PM

bad
ass

• DenialDeath

Posted August 13, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info about the oil cooler. I am going to be all over that!

I snagged mine off ebay with the lines for about $30 shipped.

• DenialDeath

Posted August 17, 2007 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• eastreich

Posted August 17, 2007 - 03:47 PM

I'm getting aroused. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful...

• DenialDeath

Posted August 17, 2007 - 03:50 PM

I'm getting aroused. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful...

Thank you! It really means a lot. LOL

• Bibleman

Posted August 18, 2007 - 05:51 AM

Exceptionally righteous!!:applause:

• Frank ZX

Posted August 18, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Awesome!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.