yz426????????

33 replies to this topic
  • Burtis_21

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:18 PM

I am about ready to buy a 2002 yz426 and i have a question.... Say your going up a hill and you fall over can you just pick your bike up and start kicking away or to you have to use the compression release every time you kick it over....... thnkas

• Slinkyman16

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:38 PM

every time you kick your bike you have to use the comp release. the starting routine is not hard(even on a hill)

• GENE426

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:40 PM

Takes some getting used to but in a couple of days you would do it automaticlly

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:57 PM

For $100, you can do the '03 450 cam mod, and make the compression release the completely unnecessary antique that it truly is.

• 642MX

Posted August 13, 2007 - 04:27 AM

The 450 exhaust cam is a must have for the 426. Read this for more info: http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:38 AM

I guess if you are just a total beastly stud you could just kick it over. But I weigh over 200lbs and can't budge my kick starter without using the compression release.
The bikes are really easy to start once you learn how.

• Digger01

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:15 AM

I think i kicked mine over once w/o the release...
Stand on trailer well above bike. Then while yelling at your kids - jump down on the starter with all youre might. I think it even started because I dont think I had it in me to start the kicking again - my leg hurt! In fact I remember my lower leg hurting for a couple of days :bonk:

I may install that cam this winter with a valve check and such, I just bought my bike, 01 from a kid in North Jersey. It runs great but have been straightning out little stuff on it since :)

Enjoy

• Burtis_21

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:43 AM

Alright thanks...... Which would be a better trail bike and the better deal 02 yz426 low hours but is kinda dirty and dusty for 1900 or an 03 yz450 thats been ridden good for 2300....

• kenr74

Posted August 13, 2007 - 11:50 AM

I have a 01 426 and think the whole compression release thing isn't that bad. I guess if I raced it could be a pain but for out playing on it I haven't been bothered by having to use the lever. I suppose if I have $100 I have to spend I would make the change but it works fine for now.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:18 PM

the cam mod is the best mod :prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2007 - 03:57 PM

I have a 01 426 and think the whole compression release thing isn't that bad.

That's because you never had auto decompression. Kick starting is only a part of the story. The bike will bump restart like a 125 after a brake stall, if you have anything over 5 mph left, just by flicking the clutch.

I guess if you are just a total beastly stud you could just kick it over.

The kick starter might explode, too. :eek:

• felix 222

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:07 PM

i'd roll start but that's just me:thumbsup:

the starting process is very very easy after a ride or two

• Richie B

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:24 PM

I think i kicked mine over once w/o the release...
Stand on trailer well above bike. Then while yelling at your kids - jump down on the starter with all youre might. I think it even started because I dont think I had it in me to start the kicking again - my leg hurt! In fact I remember my lower leg hurting for a couple of days :bonk:

I may install that cam this winter with a valve check and such, I just bought my bike, 01 from a kid in North Jersey. It runs great but have been straightning out little stuff on it since :)

Enjoy

i think i was going to buy that same bike, was the add on craigslist?

• DublinCA

Posted August 14, 2007 - 07:51 PM

For $100, you can do the '03 450 cam mod, and make the compression release the completely unnecessary antique that it truly is.

I have a 450 cam and a hotcam that were given to me when I bought the bike. Which one would you recommend using? I've heard differing opinions.

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:20 AM

Based on the feedback I see here, I would use the YZ450 cam.

The Hot Cams exhaust cam is a slightly different grind, and is intended to be used with the HC intake. It works best that way. People have said that they tried the Hot Cams e-cam by itself, and didn't think it gave as good a result as the Yamaha cam did.

The YZ450 cam in an otherwise stock 426 gives a small overall power increase, but the real story is that it flattens and extends the power curve very noticeably. The sudden hit as you roll into the mid range is replaced by the kind of power you'd expect in a 454 Chevelle; if you can hear it, it's in the meat of the power band, that kind of thing. Much smoother, very beefy low and mid, with a linear transition to top end.

The OEM cam does require that you use a special procedure to time it. See the instructions in Common Threads.

What's nice for you is that you can actually try them both, and decide for yourself. If you do that, I'd say start with the Hot Cams, because I think you'll like the Yamaha cam better, and doing it that way will save time.

Remember that you'll most likely need to adjust the valve clearance for the different cam.

• Burtis_21

Posted August 15, 2007 - 10:21 AM

If i do the yz450 cam replacement does that mean i don't even have to use the compression realease....

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:18 AM

You don't even have to have one.

• Burtis_21

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:14 PM

Does the 426 kick back alot...... my friends dad 2001 426 kick back and he had to have stitches in the bottom of his foot......

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 15, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Does the 426 kick back alot...... my friends dad 2001 426 kick back and he had to have stitches in the bottom of his foot......

What was he wearing? Flip-flops?

• jayh300

Posted August 15, 2007 - 01:08 PM

the only time mine has ever kicked back was when i was learning to start it and happened to kick it with the throttle open.....
oh my... wow...ouch... words like that come to mind

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.