650R on a motorcross track

22 replies to this topic
  • resslera

Posted August 12, 2007 - 06:21 PM

I took my 2 stroke CR250 to the motorcross track today and I couldn't believe what I saw. I saw someone riding a 650R on the track! I have thought about doing that but haven't attempted it yet. Don't get me wrong, this guys was taking it fairly easy but he kept going lap for lap for lap. Even 2 laps on my 250 and I take a break. That had to be some work out!

• bosshog

Posted August 12, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Somebodys going to sleep well tonight.:bonk:

• ogrider650

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:26 PM

it can be done im working my way up to doing it for GP's but there was some video of a guy here doing soubles on a BRP

• DSTerry

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Back in the 90's before 4 stroke motocross bikes, the XR600 was ridden for the 4 stroke nationals. They looked just as fast on the 600 as the 125 and 250 2 strokes did back then! They would clear every jump on the track.

• KASUYAHO

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:25 AM

Five years ago or so a guy on a XR650R won the Thumper Nationals, which is MX out door.
I never seen it but they say it blow the 450's 525's away out of the corners and down the straights.
Would have been cool to see.

• BWB63

Posted August 13, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Some of the problems I have ran into is:
starting on 2 smoke and then going to the XR650R. I find myself over shooting the turns, or the rear tire going over the burm just before I leave the turn. When I was still jumping the doubles, I would have a hard time getting the blip leaving and over clear the down side. Doing this on the 65 foot doubles was a 70+ foot flat landing that can be of major dis-comfort.
Going back to the CR250 is very fun:busted:

Posted Image

Some video here of a XR650R in the air:

http://www.xr650r.bo...om/bwbvideo.htm

http://www.xr650r.borynack.com

• RdrMtn

Posted August 13, 2007 - 10:54 AM

Five years ago or so a guy on a XR650R won the Thumper Nationals, which is MX out door.
I never seen it but they say it blow the 450's 525's away out of the corners and down the straights.
Would have been cool to see.

Does anyone have a photo of said XR650R motocrosser? I would love to know more about that particular bike!

• resslera

Posted August 13, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Very fun indeed going from the 650R to the 250R. That is why I bought it. I love the 650R, nothing out there competes with the power, but sometimes I need my 2-stroke fix.

• BWB63

Posted August 14, 2007 - 12:15 PM

If you get the right rhythm and the right attitude, it can be a lot of fun on the MX track even with the bikes that will just leave you in the dust. Once they are behind you again they are at the murcy of your BRP in there way, not to mention the fifty pounds of terraferma you are shoveling their way:ride:

• BIGGITY

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:20 AM

Well I'm probably going to get rousted for this but I have taken my BRP out on several tracks. Cahuilla, Elsinore & Carlsbad Raceway (when it was still open). Granted it wasn't the most gentle of landings when I tried any of the jumps but I still had a blast. I went to Cahuilla w/ a friend who has a BRP and we were hanging with most of the bikes out there. We weren't launching any of the big/medium jumps but we had fun. Best part is I jumped on the same bike today and rode it to work. :thumbsup: Got to love the piggy.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jesusgatos

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:10 PM

I buddy of mine just posted a race report that made me want to dig up this thread.
Posted Image

• rhythmofbeing

Posted November 28, 2007 - 07:00 AM

I'd love to read about it, but would rather not register. Copy and paste?

• mightymart

Posted November 28, 2007 - 07:02 AM

Some of the problems I have ran into is:
starting on 2 smoke and then going to the XR650R. I find myself over shooting the turns, or the rear tire going over the burm just before I leave the turn. When I was still jumping the doubles, I would have a hard time getting the blip leaving and over clear the down side. Doing this on the 65 foot doubles was a 70+ foot flat landing that can be of major dis-comfort.
Going back to the CR250 is very fun:busted:

Posted Image

Some video here of a XR650R in the air:

http://www.xr650r.bo...om/bwbvideo.htm

http://www.xr650r.borynack.com

Is there any chance you can relink these vids as they are not working, I want to see the mighty XR in the air :thumbsup:

• rhythmofbeing

Posted November 28, 2007 - 09:42 AM

All his videos are here. He had server problems, I believe, so the URL has changed.

• Kawabuggy

Posted November 28, 2007 - 10:20 AM

I recently took my '93 XR600 out to the MX track in Highlands, TX. I was running on the big track at first and it was way scary! Not the bike, but the track! I have never ridden on an MX track before and some of those jumps were downright scary the 1st time around.

What I learned is that riding MX is like snow skiing... The faster you go, the easier it is! The slower you try and go, the faster it wears you out, and the more you crash! Anyway, they have a super cross track there as well and I ended up riding it most of the day as most of the jumps were smaller.

Remember this was my FIRST time ever jumping this bike, or any bike for that matter.. By the end of the first day, I was taking jumps at full throttle in 3rd gear and really beginning to get up there. I don't know the terminology for the different parts of the track like the rest of the guys knew, but there is a jump that has a flat table like area (table top?) that is about 35 feet across from the ramp to the landing side.. I was clearing that thing with ease by the end of the day. I had a few very scary landings where I came up short and cased it, but I got through it..

The bike seemed to handle the landings better than I thought it would. I lost a bolt on the engine case that started losing oil and that shut me down for the rest of the day. I DO plan on going back though as it is a lot of fun!

• BWB63

Posted November 28, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Is there any chance you can relink these vids as they are not working, I want to see the mighty XR in the air :thumbsup:

I thrashed the whole site because I was to stupid to know I was running two firewalls. By the time I figured out the problem I had already rebiult the sight with a different web address. Almost all the pages are working again.

The video page is here:
http://borynack.com/...0R/bwbvideo.htm

Posted Image

The main page is here:
http://borynack.com/XR650R/

Another version of the XR650R site (it is a little different, with different links) is here:
http://borynack.com/xr650r.htm

Here is a picture of David (front) and I clearing the 55' table top on XR650R's at Third Gear Pinned back when that track was open. I always thought it was a little cool to come back from a long trail ride with our backbacks on cut onto the track and jump the table tops on a bike with license plates. Nothing like a true duel sport.

Posted Image

• Rugged

Posted November 28, 2007 - 03:44 PM

who said pigs couldn't fly?

• n2motocrf450

Posted December 01, 2007 - 07:35 PM

MY Buddy Jessy Posted that pic for me. I raced my Completeley Street legal XR650R at LACR. We do "A DAY IN THE DIRT" every year. I raced my BRP in the Open race. I was doing all the table tops and the 150 ft downhill. So No excuses guys ride race what ya got. Posted Image
Posted Image

• jbird710

Posted December 01, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Back in the 90's before 4 stroke motocross bikes, the XR600 was ridden for the 4 stroke nationals. They looked just as fast on the 600 as the 125 and 250 2 strokes did back then! They would clear every jump on the track.

I recently took my '93 XR600 out to the MX track in Highlands, TX. I was running on the big track at first and it was way scary! Not the bike, but the track! I have never ridden on an MX track before and some of those jumps were downright scary the 1st time around.

What I learned is that riding MX is like snow skiing... The faster you go, the easier it is! The slower you try and go, the faster it wears you out, and the more you crash! Anyway, they have a super cross track there as well and I ended up riding it most of the day as most of the jumps were smaller.

Remember this was my FIRST time ever jumping this bike, or any bike for that matter.. By the end of the first day, I was taking jumps at full throttle in 3rd gear and really beginning to get up there. I don't know the terminology for the different parts of the track like the rest of the guys knew, but there is a jump that has a flat table like area (table top?) that is about 35 feet across from the ramp to the landing side.. I was clearing that thing with ease by the end of the day. I had a few very scary landings where I came up short and cased it, but I got through it..

The bike seemed to handle the landings better than I thought it would. I lost a bolt on the engine case that started losing oil and that shut me down for the rest of the day. I DO plan on going back though as it is a lot of fun!

Back racing local amateur Open class MX at Skeeter MX in the late '80s, a friend of mine (Greg Lee) used to race an XR600 with us. He wasn't a real big guy but it took all we could do to keep up with him on when we were riding CR500s and KX500s.

• weskc35k

Posted December 02, 2007 - 02:26 AM

Them photos are wicked Bruce.
I have another bike to do that stuff on,but kudos.
That was Michael 'Burner' Byrne on the XR650r in the 00 and 01 Thumper Nats jn Oz.
He's still racing Pro AMA Outdoor MX in the States no 123 i think,on a Kwaka maybe.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.