01 426 with a tight clutch

20 replies to this topic
  • klxnewguy

Posted August 12, 2007 - 03:48 PM

I have an 01 426 and the clutch is VERY tight. It's not a big deal except for when I get tired I start making mistakes and I can't feather it as well. The guy I bought the bike from said that it was always tight or stiff. It works great, the bike runs great etc.. I just wanted to know what I can do to make it a lighter pull. Any help would be great! Thanks.

• Markopolo400

Posted August 12, 2007 - 05:09 PM

For starters, lube your cable using a cable luber.

If this doesn't make enough of a difference, replace the cable (They are pretty cheap. Around $25) and then lube the new cable as well.

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Good advice, but I have a question, did you just buy the bike, as was it like this when you got it?

• klxnewguy

Posted August 12, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Yes, I did just buy the bike used from my friend. I know he takes very good care of his stuff and he replaced the clutch about 1 1/2 years ago. He told me that it was always that stiff, he was hoping that when he replaced the clutch it wouldn't be at stiff but it still is. I'll get some lube and do both the clutch and throttle just to do it, but for some reason I don't think that is it.

• dmoney1074

Posted August 12, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Does it have heavy duty springs? You could swap out the springs for lighter ones. My 426 has always had a stiff clutch, but thats because it has heavy duty springs. If you have the money, I would reccomend a magura hydrolic clutch.... very slick mod, but for $200 you need a fat wallet!

• klxnewguy

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:08 PM

Did you swap out your stiff springs for softer ones? Is it hard? Is the hydrolic clutch hard to put on? Thanks for the info.

• klxnewguy

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:44 AM

Is there any other affect of putting on softer springs than just a softer feel on the lever? Let me know, I'll look into the hydrolic clutch. Thanks.

• dmoney1074

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:12 PM

Did you swap out your stiff springs for softer ones? Is it hard? Is the hydrolic clutch hard to put on? Thanks for the info.

I put heavy duty (stiffer) springs and heavy duty plates so my clutch would last longer.... You should see what you have already and go from there.. you may have a heavy duty clutch. The hydrolic clutch is a pretty straightfoward install...

• klxnewguy

Posted August 13, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Did your clutch feel soft before you put the springs in?

• dmoney1074

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Not as soft as a newer bike... my uncles crf250x has an ultra soft pull... my 426 was pretty average.. hard to explain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markopolo400

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Is there any other affect of putting on softer springs than just a softer feel on the lever? Let me know, I'll look into the hydrolic clutch. Thanks.

If you put in softer springs, then there won't be as much force pushing the plates together, and it will be easier to burn up your clutch.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:37 PM

That's only true if the springs become so light that they allow the plates to slip. Most aftermarket springs are unnecessarily stiff.

• klxnewguy

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Would OEM springs be the way to go then? I think I'll replace the cable just to make sure and then go from there. My friend has an 06 450R and his clutch feels like butter compared to mine. I do think that something has isn't right, thanks for all the info!

• klxnewguy

Posted August 14, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Today I was in the shop and purchased some lube for my cables but the guy there told me about a Moose Easy pull clutch system. What do you think about that? Has anyone had one?

• mxgene

Posted August 15, 2007 - 08:38 AM

Replace the stock clutch lever with either a Works Connection or ASV lever/perch.
They use a higher leverage pull so it feels easier to pull, without needing to remove the stiff clutch springs. I use the ASV and love it.

You should be able to pick either one up for less than $100.

• klxnewguy

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:16 AM

I currently have a works connection perch, I think the problem as to do with either the springs being too stiff or I just need a new cable. I'll start with a new cable, if that doesn't work I'll go for the Moose Easy Pull. Thanks for the info!

• NM_KDX200

Posted August 15, 2007 - 01:45 PM

I'll go for the Moose Easy Pull.

Where does that thing mount? All I can find is the same dumb stock photo. Looks like a good solution, though- then I can continue to use my ASV levers, right?

• klxnewguy

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:17 PM

It doesn't mount in any specific place, it either just hangs or you can zip tie it to either the bar or maybe the triple clamp, it depends on your situation.

• neokinetiks

Posted August 21, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I have the same problem with my 02 YZ426.
I was told that the previous owner put in an aftermarket clutch, and stiffer springs.
The same as what some of the other guys on the forum explained.

I tried the Magura hydraulic clutch. It felt very smooth, and has about as much tension as when you apply your front brake.
The only problem was mine began leaking, and lost pressure, and stopped engaging all the way.
I bought it used for a bargain, so i guess I got what I paid for.
I switched back to stock, and now just rap my hand with sports tape before the gloves go on.

• klxnewguy

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:05 PM

I put on a new cable and the Moose Easy Pull and wow, what a difference!! I can pull it now with one finger. I have not ridden it yet on the track but I think I'll be able to control it much better and best of all it will reduce some arm pump. Thanks for all the advice!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.