Sealed needle bearings?

6 replies to this topic
  • Moto-Mike

Posted September 01, 2000 - 10:51 AM

I'm in the process of repacking the rear linkage bearings and when I pulled out the sleeve to expose the bearing there was this plastic coating holding the needles in place.
I've never seen this before on any of my other bikes. Is this Yamahas way of sealing the needles or is it old dried up grease??? Has anyone else noticed this? Do I leave it or remove it?

• GNCCYZ400

Posted September 01, 2000 - 11:19 AM

Mike,

The coating is a "solid" lubricant that is put on from the factory. It is pretty good technology but if your seals are bad, the mud and dirt that enter the bearing will cause it to lock-up more easily (as did mine) because of the lack of clearance between the needles. I would replace the bearing and seals with new ones if there has been any dirt in the bearing. The bearings and seals can be bought fairley cheap (I payed 10.95 for one bearing and two seals).
If your on a tight budget and need to reuse them, clean them as best you can but try not to dammage the coating (it comes off easy).
If the coating has been removed I would not reuse the bearing, because the increased clearance(from the removal of the lube)can cause the needles to twist and lock-up. Keep in mind that these are extreme cases and may not occur every time.
I'm not an expert but bearings are my business.(Applied Industrial Technologies)

Hope my $.02 helps,
Jeff

'98 YZ400

• MotoGreg

Posted September 01, 2000 - 04:08 PM

Hey, that's where I've always gotten my bearings from! Wheel bearings for the street bikes are like $30 at the Suzuki dealer and only about $6 from you guys. Do you carry the top steering head bearing for the WR? It's a Koyo hi-cap #320/28JR.

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity
'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)
I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GNCCYZ400

Posted September 01, 2000 - 06:49 PM

MotoGreg,

We should be able to get almost any bearing for almost anything, Is it already time to replace your head bearing, Mine's over two years old and still in very good shape?
What branch(town) are you dealing with?

Jeff (Rocky Mount, NC)
'98YZ400

• Scott_F

Posted September 01, 2000 - 07:30 PM

On my first YZF, I removed the yellow solid lube, and replaced it with moly grease. Now on my third YZF, I leave the solid lube in and pack moly inbetween and on the bearings.

Based on my experience, there is no extra clearance between the needles when the solid lube is removed, and either method can work. If I was an eastern mud rider, I would probably remove the lube.

Scott F

Originally posted by GNCCYZ400:
Mike,

If the coating has been removed I would not reuse the bearing, because the increased clearance(from the removal of the lube)can cause the needles to twist and lock-up.

• MotoGreg

Posted September 01, 2000 - 07:36 PM

What branch(town) are you dealing with?

I go to the one in Anaheim CA, it used to be called "King Bearing". The bearing isn't really too notchy yet but it's all dark and burnt. Because the bike carries the oil in the frame tube it can get really hot up there and melts the grease from the top bearing.

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity
'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)
I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

• Moto-Mike

Posted September 02, 2000 - 05:36 PM

Thanks GNCCYZ400!! I really appreciated the response (I was'nt sure what to do with the stuff...keep it or remove it). I felt alot better about putting it back together knowing somthing was'nt wrong. :)

------------------
2000 Yamaha WR400F
1988 Honda NT650 Hawk
1977 Suzuki RM250B
1974 Honda XR75K1

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.