XR650L, Dave's Mods, Stock Pipe, Jetting?

11 replies to this topic
  • Sipes77

Posted August 11, 2007 - 10:09 PM

I have a 2005 XR650L that I am going to do Dave's Mod on. Looking forward to this improvement! Using the stock pipe, uni filter, de-snorkled, at about 3000' ASL, what Jetting is recommended?
Dave's mod suggests jets at sea level, 55/158. Most of my riding is 3000-4000' ASL, and sometimes a run up to 7000'.
I am researching what size jets to use because first, I am a noob at carb work, and secondly, I do not want to have to pull it all apart soon after I get it put back together. Thanks in advance!

• Frank ZX

Posted August 12, 2007 - 03:42 AM

I'm about 600 ASL,I ran 55/158 and my bike runs great.Hope this helps.

• martinfan30

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:12 PM

I have a 2005 XR650L that I am going to do Dave's Mod on. Looking forward to this improvement! Using the stock pipe, uni filter, de-snorkled, at about 3000' ASL, what Jetting is recommended?
Dave's mod suggests jets at sea level, 55/158. Most of my riding is 3000-4000' ASL, and sometimes a run up to 7000'.
I am researching what size jets to use because first, I am a noob at carb work, and secondly, I do not want to have to pull it all apart soon after I get it put back together. Thanks in advance!

i also have an 05 650L, if you are going to run at those levels, carry leaner jets. do the 158/55 for sea level. then be prepared to put in 155/50 jets for high ele. they easy to swap out. only takes a few minutes. if the pig was F.I. there would be no need, but this is why we carry extra jets.

• Denn10

Posted August 12, 2007 - 09:58 PM

sipes i would go with the 55/158 for the fact that your staying with the stock silencer. getting to the carb is harder than doing all the mods itself. RAM motorsports on outter hwy 18 has the jets for our bikes in stock, i found this out after trying 5 other places LOL go figure the smallest shop had them. When you gonna do this, soon let me know cuz ill give you a washer for the needle cuz i got a 6 pack at Lowes.

• Sipes77

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the advise everyone,
Denn10, I am almost there, pulling the carb tonight after the kids go to bed! I'll be calling you Tues. probably.

Still mulling over jet sizes,

martinfan30, a few minutes to swap jets on a XR650L when it is all put together? Maybe my CA emissions stuff is in the way? smog block off kit to be installed soon in the near future.

• Denn10

Posted August 14, 2007 - 05:46 AM

i have some pilot jets that ive collected over the years if i have one u want your welcome to it, give me a call ill be around all day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 14, 2007 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the advise everyone,
Denn10, I am almost there, pulling the carb tonight after the kids go to bed! I'll be calling you Tues. probably.

Still mulling over jet sizes,

martinfan30, a few minutes to swap jets on a XR650L when it is all put together? Maybe my CA emissions stuff is in the way? smog block off kit to be installed soon in the near future.

after doing it 100 times, no prob!!:busted: :thumbsup:

• Sipes77

Posted August 14, 2007 - 10:03 PM

My thanks to Denn10,:applause:
for bringing the shim washer and jets over to my house to do Dave's mods!
The bike is reassembled, but it is late, so I will wait till tomorrow to fire it up.

I now see that it might be possible for me to get to the jets with the carb installed. It is really tight though!

I'll post how the Dave's mod turned out after I have a chance to run and adjust the XRL.
By the way, I went with 55/158 for my jetting, we'll see if it is :thumbsup: or :thumbsdn:!

• Sipes77

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:46 PM

Was only able to ride 2 miles today, but everything is working (my first time tweaking a carb)! So far so good, a little more power, and definitely smoother throttle, which is what I was after. Thanks to all the helpful people here!

• Denn10

Posted August 16, 2007 - 05:38 AM

Now its time for a Big Bear run LOL

• mr ranger

Posted September 11, 2009 - 10:47 PM

hey guys my 05 650L is bone stock except the smog stuff is gone and i have a big gunn pipe.
i ride sea level and up to the hi desert, any ideas for the proper jetting ???

• HeadTrauma

Posted September 12, 2009 - 07:40 AM

I'm glad you're searching, but it would be better to start a new thread than dig up this one from two years ago. Also, there are piles of threads pertaining to 650L jetting already, so I recommend searching some more. There are even some listed at the bottom this page.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.