Any XR650R owners ride or own a KTM 525?

53 replies to this topic
  • bosshog

Posted August 11, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I'm looking at getting a KTM 525, likely 2005 up. Any way I want to keep the 650r and dual sport the 525 aswell. I wan't something lighter with electric start that I can throw around alittle more. I'm thinking that I need 2 bikes to give me all that I'm looking for.:bonk: I have the XR geared lower but would put something taller back on and use it for longer distances and backroad exploring / trail scouting. So I guess what I wan't to know is how will I like the 525? Will it compare at all to the 650 power wise? Can it do it all like the 650r, just better in some places? (I hope) Or will I find that I don't need 2 bikes, like I think and I'll like the 525 better leaving the 650 collecting dust? Can the 525 handle dual sport duty just as well? Than hit the single track and rip? I'm asking here cause I wanna hear form people who have the same feel for the 650r I have so I have something to compare it to.

• rippinroche

Posted August 11, 2007 - 06:41 PM

You can do what i have done buy the 525 exc and ride it you will love it compared to the xr 650r. It won't have the xr 650r monster power but it is close and you won't have to kick the damm thing to get it started after you ride the 525 a few times the old xr will be up for sale that's what happend to mine.

• DelTronXR

Posted August 11, 2007 - 10:42 PM

You can do what i have done buy the 525 exc and ride it you will love it compared to the xr 650r. It won't have the xr 650r monster power but it is close and you won't have to kick the damm thing to get it started after you ride the 525 a few times the old xr will be up for sale that's what happend to mine.

I have to TOTALLY disagree. I have a 2003 XR650R and a brand new 2007 EXC525. The 650R is WAY more comfortable in the So Cal deserts and WAY more reliable. My EXC only has 1,000 miles on it and just over 30 hours and it's already in the shop with a blown clutch master cylinder AND the cylinder head is currently ripped off to figure out why HUGE puffs of white smoke are coming out of the tailpipe. I rode the EXC for 300 miles in Mexico and the remainder in the local high deserts and even though it was a little bit lighter and easier to throw around, the XR still owned it for pure desert/baja riding. The EXC is a motocross bike in my opinion, and the XR is the desert KING. I think I'm selling the EXC let's just say that, because desert is what I'm all about. PM me if you have any other questions....I'll be as frank as frank can be:thumbsup:

• rmhrc630

Posted August 11, 2007 - 11:44 PM

I'm looking at getting a KTM 525, likely 2005 up. Any way I want to keep the 650r and dual sport the 525 aswell. I wan't something lighter with electric start that I can throw around alittle more. I'm thinking that I need 2 bikes to give me all that I'm looking for.:bonk: I have the XR geared lower but would put something taller back on and use it for longer distances and backroad exploring / trail scouting. So I guess what I wan't to know is how will I like the 525? Will it compare at all to the 650 power wise? Can it do it all like the 650r, just better in some places? (I hope) Or will I find that I don't need 2 bikes, like I think and I'll like the 525 better leaving the 650 collecting dust? Can the 525 handle dual sport duty just as well? Than hit the single track and rip? I'm asking here cause I wanna hear form people who have the same feel for the 650r I have so I have something to compare it to.

Bosshog

You might want to wait a few short months until this unit comes out from KTM... (yes estart, yes EFI, yes 20l gas tank, yes slim ergos, yes MONSTER power...) We're getting them in OZ in 10 months you US guys probably before then...
Posted Image

Posted Image

• bosshog

Posted August 12, 2007 - 07:27 AM

Thanks guys this is why I asked here, honest opinions and people who know the highs and lows of the 650r.

Rippinroche: this is what I was wondering might happen. I still love it though.

DelTronXR: I hope your reliability issues are an isolated and not the norm. I wish I had desert locations around here but no such luck. Too many trees, rocks, lakes and streams to get in the way. If I lived where you do I don't think I would be looking for an addional bike. I would have bought an electric start kit already and had the perfect bike. Where I am there's a huge mix of terrain.

rmchr630
I may just look into that, any more info? Link? Porblem with new model KTM's even some current model KTM's around here is avalibility. Prices start at full list and go up from there. Still my be worth it though.:thinking:

• JKL

Posted August 12, 2007 - 10:03 AM

Posted Image

For single track the 525 - for open spaces the XR.
The XR is not called the Big Red Pig for nothing, it is a handful in tight spaces.
The 525 can ride circles around the XR in tight woods - anywhere for that matter - the XR likes going fast in open terrain.:ride:

• drop

Posted August 12, 2007 - 12:28 PM

Posted Image

Can I take it from this shot that the production 690 Enduro will not be street legal?

• rmhrc630

Posted August 12, 2007 - 12:42 PM

Can I take it from this shot that the production 690 Enduro will not be street legal?

drop - as you may know it's based upon the EFI 690 motor so I would say that it would be street legal - EFI would go along way to achieving that.

Those photos are the marketing photos - it will be fully road compliant down here in OZ and presumably north america.

Do a search on KTM690 baja - lots of info on google

• drop

Posted August 12, 2007 - 01:24 PM

Ah, good info. Street legal from the factory that would be a very nice bike. Maybe I'll get one when my 2000 650R dies. lol.

• hill5150

Posted August 12, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Keep the 650, price the KTM and you may feel differently, and don't forget the maintenance costs involved..............

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted August 12, 2007 - 02:33 PM

KTM 525 is much more nimble then the XR650R but, at a price in the big races. Running the KTM on big weekend rides it is much more fun then the XR650R but, you get tacked much faster. Using it to pre-run part of the Baja 250 though the big whoops and the bike feels alive. After a half hour going through these big whoops and I am hating the linkless rear suspension. If KTM would use the Linked suspension they have on the 690 I would have the KTM 525.

But, I think it silly that this KTM 690 keeps coming up on the group after all the facts have been hashed out. It will be street leagel in all 50 states.
It feels more like a MX bike till you lean it or go into a turn. Had more trouble in the long runs of nasty whoops and is a tank in the air.

KTM 690 is 40 pounds heavier then the XR650R and has the same horsepower as the XR650R with a full HRC kit. A second place in spite all this shows how good the KTM team riders were in the last Baja. If they pre-ran the Baja on and raced it with a tricked out XR650R they might not have gotten second but, first! (this was actualy brought up)

It is not an answer to the XR650R but, to the XR650L.

For those that haven't seen it in use;
Here is some pictures of it's run in the last SCORE Baja race:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• rmhrc630

Posted August 12, 2007 - 03:06 PM

KTM 525 is much more nimble then the XR650R but, at a price in the big races. Running the KTM on big weekend rides it is much more fun then the XR650R but, you get tacked much faster. Using it to pre-run part of the Baja 250 though the big whoops and the bike feels alive. After a half hour going through these big whoops and I am hating the linkless rear suspension. If KTM would use the Linked suspension they have on the 690 I would have the KTM 525.

But, I think it silly that this KTM 690 keeps coming up on the group after all the facts have been hashed out. It will be street leagel in all 50 states.
It feels more like a MX bike till you lean it or go into a turn. Had more trouble in the long runs of nasty whoops and is a tank in the air.

KTM 690 is 40 pounds heavier then the XR650R and has the same horsepower as the XR650R with a full HRC kit. A second place in spite all this shows how good the KTM team riders were in the last Baja. If they pre-ran the Baja on and raced it with a tricked out XR650R they might not have gotten second but, first! (this was actualy brought up)

It is not an answer to the XR650R but, to the XR650L.

For those that haven't seen it in use;
Here is some pictures of it's run in the last SCORE Baja race:

BWB I completely disagree.

How many XR650L do you see race and PLACE at Baja? NONE.

Why is it 40lbs heavier? It carries 20 litres of fuel...It has electric start...EFI...

It is actually a 650cc with EFI and modern engine management and ergos - it is an XR650R destroyer.

The reason is keeps coming up in that it is a XR650R replacement. We all know it. KTM seem to be the only one taking big bores serioulsy and placing some R&D into them.

• captb

Posted August 12, 2007 - 04:12 PM

It's easy to forget what the big Thumpers are all about (keep it simple), do I want a battery, miles of wiring, selinoids, relays, starters and switches to fix, not really, do I want EFI out in no mans land?, not without a GPS Phone, I worked on that shizt for 15 years, not for me, on a street bike ok, but I still like my carbed Blackbird, 9 years old and I drain the bowls once every 2 years and it still runs like new, so I'm not even in a hurry on the street bikes. It's all well and good until there's a problem, then the old uncomplicated way looks way better. Parts factor is another, if I dump mine down a mountain side I can go on Ebay and find parts fairly cheap. If money was no object I would have one of every bike, but no lottery wins yet, so no Y2K or MV Agusta in the garage.:ride:

• BWB63

Posted August 12, 2007 - 05:05 PM

Why is it 40lbs heavier? It carries 20 litres of fuel...It has electric start...EFI...

It is actually a 650cc with EFI and modern engine management and ergos - it is an XR650R destroyer.

The reason is keeps coming up in that it is a XR650R replacement. We all know it. KTM seem to be the only one taking big bores serioulsy and placing some R&D into them.

40 pounds is outrageous weight! Not a little more but, 15% of a XR650R and 18% of a CRF450R.

The KTM 690 Baja bike placed because of the awesome riders and a pit crew that was serious about making this work. Thinking that a bike that is 40 pounds heavier (dry weight no fuel) with the same displacement and same horsepower is a XR650R killer is where the silliness starts. My bike with, 'all the extra's' an stripped of the not needed, full of fuel (17 litres) weighs 147 kilograms or about 324 pounds.
KTM 690 Baja bike is at about 170 kilograms (20 litres of fuel) at about 370 pounds, dri weight of something close to 330 pounds(150 kiligrams). There are other factors, like when you are filled with fuel you get a little more then what you are expected to use to the next pit. In the end if they are both filled with the same fuel there is a forty pound difference. Everyone is looking to loose weight and for some reason KTM comes out with a heavier bike same displacement, same horsepower and it's a XR650R killer? I am happy they put a linked suspension on the bike, if they would have use the KTM 525 rear suspension they wouldn't have made it. The KTM 690 isn't much more then a XR650L with fuel injection, engine taken to it's full potential, and a awesome suspension. Doesn't change that it is a 330 pound (dry weight) tank. I am sure the KTM race bike was much under the weight of a show room KTM 690 and much closer to the weight of a race ready XR650R It is stripped of the super heavy exhaust system and all the junk that comes on a factory bike but, not an XR650R killer. [COLOR="Red"]KTM 690 weight is well hidden and could be somewhat lighter the the estements based on it brother the SM690 which is heavier then a off the show room street ready all the junk and more XR650L! Even if they stripped it as far as they could it still would weigh as much as a XL650L![/COLOR] I asked the guys that ran the pits if they can get a real race ready weight on this bike, I'll let you know what it realy is (if they will tell)

• bosshog

Posted August 12, 2007 - 05:49 PM

Posted Image

For single track the 525 - for open spaces the XR.
The XR is not called the Big Red Pig for nothing, it is a handful in tight spaces.
The 525 can ride circles around the XR in tight woods - anywhere for that matter - the XR likes going fast in open terrain.:ride:

Yep you got just what I want. :thumbsup:

Don't know anything about the KTM 690. I don't think there will be anything that will replace the 650r and keep everyone happy. I'ld love it if they did but it doesn't look like honda will do it anyway. Looks like I will have to make room in the garage for another bike. Maby nobody will ever make a bike that will do everything I want? :excuseme:

• Suikerland

Posted August 12, 2007 - 07:07 PM

It's easy to forget what the big Thumpers are all about (keep it simple), do I want a battery, miles of wiring, selinoids, relays, starters and switches to fix, not really, do I want EFI out in no mans land?.............................................................................................................................

It's all well and good until there's a problem, then the old uncomplicated way looks way better. Parts factor is another, if I dump mine down a mountain side I can go on Ebay and find parts fairly cheap. If money was no object I would have one of every bike, but no lottery wins yet, so no Y2K or MV Agusta in the garage.:ride:

............................................. :thumbsup:

• Blakerj10

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:00 AM

I have a 525 xc and a 650R. My 650R has a stage II cam and 11:1 piston and full exhaust. It has been a while since I have ridden a stock xr. The 525 and 650 are very different, and I like each in its element. Both are a handfull in tight woods, I need to get a 250 2 stroke to fill that niche.

• hill5150

Posted August 13, 2007 - 11:00 AM

( Yeah that's news......:rant: )

( 650L is not a race bike Einstein, even those who ride them know that)

(WTF is a liter......:banghead: ? Electric start... BFD, EFI, is that heavier than a carb?)

( You can't destroy something you can't catch. The bike has to run to be able to destroy)

( Honda owns KTM, period. Do yourself a favor, go rent Dust to Glory.......it takes place in that dusty place where they hold that real big race that Honda wins every single year....previously on the 650, now the 450X is their little beeatch)

• BWB63

Posted August 14, 2007 - 12:32 PM

Still waiting for an answer on the actual weight of the KTM 690 Baja. I think it possible that a XR600R could still do well in the Baja races with the same riders that ran the KTM 690 Baja, maybe even a stripped XR650L for that matter. KTM does know how to play the hype game:
2008 KTM 530 = 510cc
KTM 690 = 654cc red line of 7,800rpm 64bhp
Just to pound in on this note that a XR650R (HRC kit) is 8,200rpm and 64bhp
(I know I just got to keep saying this on a XR650R/XR650L forum, must have something wrong with me)

• eastreich

Posted August 14, 2007 - 01:01 PM

As for the initial question of the thread, although I don't have a 525, I did get to demo ride one last year for a little while. Took it with us on more than a few trail rides and came away with the following impressions...
The 525EXC IS more nimble, but it is at a cost. Compared to a 650, the 525 is pretty busy. And the seat SUCKS (I know, you are supposed to stand, but...).
No comparison in the power department, but then again the two of us in the group with 650s are running the full HRC motors.
Actually, the 525 felt overgeared to me. When you were really trying to haul down a road to connect trails, 6th gear just seemed to let the bike fall flat on its face, IMO.
In rocks, I actually felt more comfortable on the 650. Yes, the 650 is much heavier, but with that weight comes the ability to track through rocks much easier. Of course, with the lighter weight of the 525, you can pick your way through. I've been riding 650s way too long to want to adapt to that riding style for a demo ride or two.
For how much it weighs, the 650R should have the button. Period. This makes the 525 a near equal over all other things mentioned above.

I ride with three other guys that have 525s (one MXC, two EXCs); they all love them, and have had very few problems.

As for the 690, I like the concept. A 650R with modern anemities (EFI, USD forks, E-Start, etc...) and more power than a stock 650R. But since I have USD forks, FCR carb, and a HRC engine, I can't justify spending the money that KTM is going to charge just to get a button to start my bike with. And why on earth would I want a dirt bike with a 20L (5.3 gallon) fuel tank? I have more than enough range with a 3.2 IMS on my 650.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.