Throttle postion sensor Ohms readings?

8 replies to this topic
  • nikdaqik_231

Posted August 11, 2007 - 04:48 PM

The manual states Full closed 0-2k (I have 200 Ohms), Full opened 4-6k (I have 3k)
The bike lurches if held at one throttle position. Thought it was at 1/4 throttle only, but I was wrong. Went through hours of jetting, no change. Cleaned carb many times , no change. Disconnected TPS, bike runs great.
There is an adjustment for TPS, could not get the 4 to 6k.

Has anyone had this issue? If so what were your Ohms readings.

Hope this is a isolated issue! It's been a pain!

• TDW

Posted August 11, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Good info, what bike do you have?

• nikdaqik_231

Posted August 11, 2007 - 05:07 PM

07 Yzf 450

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Now that you have that, you next test should be this:

With the ohmmeter connected, move the throttle open slowly and evenly while watching the meter. The resistance should change as the throttle moves, but it should do so smoothly, in a fairly linear manner, with no sudden changes or jumps. If it does anything other than that, a "bad spot" on the potentiometer could be the cause, and the TPS should be replaced.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 12, 2007 - 08:45 AM

make sure you have the meter ends placed correctly on the connector or it will give incorrect readings all day long. Very slight movements on the TPS on carb will get you to the right ohm setting - if not - tps is bad have dealer replace....patience is key.....it is a pain in the butt

• nikdaqik_231

Posted August 12, 2007 - 11:43 AM

Removed TPS from carb,on the bench all looks good. The resistance is nice and smooth through the range, can even get proper Ohms readings. When on carb can only get 3k Ohms with adjuster maxed, manual call for 4k to 6k.
Seems questionable to me, but plugged in bike runs poorly, unplugged bike runs good.

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2007 - 01:07 PM

When on carb can only get 3k Ohms with adjuster maxed, manual call for 4k to 6k.

Then it fails, doesn't it? No questions, replace it.

• KBF

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:38 PM

The manual states Full closed 0-2k (I have 200 Ohms), Full opened 4-6k (I have 3k)
The bike lurches if held at one throttle position. Thought it was at 1/4 throttle only, but I was wrong. Went through hours of jetting, no change. Cleaned carb many times , no change. Disconnected TPS, bike runs great.
There is an adjustment for TPS, could not get the 4 to 6k.

Has anyone had this issue? If so what were your Ohms readings.

Hope this is a isolated issue! It's been a pain!

I have this issue with my 07 YZ250F. I too thought that I had a jetting or carb issue, but nothing I did would make the lurching or surging go away. Finally after searching this site I came across a TPS problem someone had.
I unplugged the sensor and the problem went away. That is how I have left it for now.
I have not done an ohm test to see what it reads. I can't really tell a difference in power. Oh my bike has less than 7 hours on it, but I have had it for a couple of months so no warranty left.

I, like you would like to know how wide spread this problem is.

• rtgincnm

Posted August 13, 2007 - 04:31 PM

My '07 450 has never run smoothly at a fixed throttle setting. Runs and accelerates great but seems very sensitive to any change in throttle setting. I just thought they were made that way for MX racing. Have not done any resistance readings or disconnected it. Thinking a heavier flywheel will smooth things out.

Sure would like to know if you get any change when replacing the sensor.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.