Fitting New Graphics

12 replies to this topic
  • Brett

Posted August 30, 2000 - 07:18 AM

I've just ordered new Tecnosel Graphics and Seat Cover.

Anybody got any tips on the best way to fit these graphics without making a complete mess and them all sticking together.

Somebody said put water with washing-up liquid to let the sticker slide around?

Help/advice much appreciated - these things aren't cheap.

------------------

• Bill

Posted August 30, 2000 - 08:22 AM

Brett,

Do a search using graphics and you should get a bunch of info. This has been discussed in detail in the past. Your on the right track with the soap and then use a squegee to get out the wrinkles/bubbles.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• SLO_JT

Posted August 30, 2000 - 08:24 AM

Brett,

Call Frank at Villa Racing 800-549-1973 (www.villaracing.com). He's the importer for the USA for all Technosel products. He's also local to me :)

I bought my Technosel graphics from him. Unfortunately, I didn't ask him the best way to put them on and they have bubbled a little. I mentioned that to him and he told me the best/correct way that I should have used, but now I can't remember all of the details. I do know he said NOT to use water.

Call him and ask.

John

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 30, 2000 - 09:44 PM

Brett, If this is a new tank (never used) that you are talking about then disregard this post. If its a used tank then you HAVE to clean it thourghly before applying the new graphics.
You want to get all the gas vapor residue and dirt that is in the plastic tank out.

The method I use (and it seems strange) was suggested by a friend of mine and I was skeptical about doing this too but it has worked great for me.
Use some type of abrasive car wax and wax all the dirt out of the tank (scrub hard)
Once you do that then clean it with soap and water several times untill you get the wax off the tank. I even use brake cleaner or contact cleaner to make sure it is all off.
Then apply the graphics as you see fit.

Does anyone else use this method.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

• Hick

Posted August 30, 2000 - 11:40 AM

I use sand paper and Plastic Renew, especially if bike still has stock graphics. My KX's graphics would not come off so I ended up having to sand many tiny remaining graphic fragments off the tank. The sanding leaves a good surface to mount graphics and chemicals in Plastic Renew don't impede stiction, but I use less of it where the graphics go (mainly out of laziness).

Milkman,

Does the car wax scuff the tank at all? How
does plastic look after the waxing?

...and how come I've never heard of Technosel? Any links/pictures on the web?

• Brett

Posted August 30, 2000 - 12:08 PM

www.villaracing.com

Good pics and product range for Tecnosel

Originally posted by Hick:
I use sand paper and Plastic Renew, especially if bike still has stock graphics. My KX's graphics would not come off so I ended up having to sand many tiny remaining graphic fragments off the tank. The sanding leaves a good surface to mount graphics and chemicals in Plastic Renew don't impede stiction, but I use less of it where the graphics go (mainly out of laziness).

Milkman,

Does the car wax scuff the tank at all? How
does plastic look after the waxing?

...and how come I've never heard of Technosel? Any links/pictures on the web?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 30, 2000 - 04:13 PM

No it dosent scuff.
I use Mothers brand polish. You can buy it at O'Reilly Automotive and its in a small red and whit can. Also, the plastic looks new. I had a white tank on my old XR600 and it looked new after waxing it, but with my translucent (natural) tank on the 400 the yellow wont go away, but it does make it clean and no scratches.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

• JAMIE_WILLIAMS

Posted August 30, 2000 - 05:29 PM

I used wax and grease remover to clean the tank first.It is called PREPSOLE and is used for cleaning car parts before spraying.You can pick this up from any car auto shop.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 30, 2000 - 07:19 PM

Drain the tank of fuel and leave the cap off for it to vent for a few days if possible.
Apply graphics and use a hairdrier to heat them up.
When fitted get them and the tank really warm again.. it helps the guy bond better.

Lastly leave the gascap off for as long as possible and fill it for the 1st time when you're ready to ride.
The more time they're allowed without fuel in the tank the better.

i found that unscrewing the cap after a ride and just letting it sit on the tank top aided in stopping them bubbling.

Mate did some on his YZ and they SHOCKING in 7 days.. HUGE bubbles everywhere.. he didn't follow any instructions! :)

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• Gary_Kessler

Posted August 31, 2000 - 06:06 AM

One of my Dirt Rider mags had an article about putting on Graphics. . .the guy that does McGraths graphics uses "contact cleaner". Dosen't leave any residue. Sprays it on, wipes it off and then applies the graphics. Then applies a layer of clear and he's done! I can look up the article if you're interested. :)

------------------
'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system & UNI air, Jetting by Clark, James & Bryan. . .

• bobwombat

Posted August 31, 2000 - 10:48 AM

gary: i saw the article u referred to & tried it on my new front fender. the contact cleaner totally dulled my plastic which is o.k. for the area under the graphics but not cool for the surrounding area. just my thoughts, but i won't be doing the contact cleaner technique again despite mc's boy having it down!

• Gary_Kessler

Posted August 31, 2000 - 11:53 AM

Hmmm. . .that would definitely keep me from using it. . . I'll be interested to see what everyone decides; I'm in the market for some new graphics too. . . .

Thanks.

------------------
'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system & UNI air, Jetting by Clark, James & Bryan. . .

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 31, 2000 - 06:15 PM

I'm just going to use a de-greaser like Simple Green. I think it will get the plastic clean enough for graphics. I'm also going to try the technique of warming the fresh graphics with a hair dryer. It should make the glue very tacky. I think if you then let it set-up for overnight, think it will be fine. I know that my stock Honda XR graphics were bullet proof. Do you think it was the process in which the graphics were applied at the factory or the quality of the graphics?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.