What kind of engine oil do you use?

29 replies to this topic
  • fershy

Posted August 26, 2000 - 03:37 PM

ok ok no one has come up with my rec yet!
Pennzoil car grade 10W-40 or 20W-50.
I change my oil every 200 km and it comes out as clean as it goes in. I use Mobil 1 in my RM 125 and RG 500 which works well and increases the duration between changes.

I used to use Castrol but got tired of seeing black sludge in the bottom of their bottles. Whats up wit that?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 26, 2000 - 06:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tim in WA:

Do not use "car" Mobil 1 use the stuff they make for the bike. The stuff that goes in your car has graphite in it. If you really do not think that "graphite" will make your clutch slip, go ahead. Also, remember that a pure syn oil will out last a standard oil *but* it will not carry the "trash" to the oil filter. Mostly it will leave it in the bottom of the engine. Mix just a little standard oil (regular mobil) with the syn.
--- Clean the screen in the frame---

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 27, 2000 - 03:57 PM

Not so cheap insurance.. Amsoil Racing 20-50 ; Red Line 20-50.[The inside of the motor has never been cleaner and no clutch troubles either.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 29, 2000 - 04:30 PM

I just bought some Mobil 1 15/50 at Checker Auto. My question- is this the same stuff you guys run or is there a designated motorcycle 15/50 by Mobil 1?

• fershy

Posted August 29, 2000 - 04:41 PM

Ok Uncle Richard, Since no one else is gonna call you on it I will have to take the onus. There is no Graphite added to "Car" Mobil 1 as you suggest. Lets see your pudding or er your proof.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted August 29, 2000 - 08:34 PM

castrol gtx 20/50 its what motocross action magazine recommended you run in your yz 125/250 gearboxes. so you know its fine for your clutch (i think its in the june `00 issue in the `00 bike teardown reports)

• Gary_Kessler

Posted August 31, 2000 - 06:31 AM

Link to Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil

'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system & UNI air, Jetting by Clark, James & Bryan. . .

• Gary_Kessler

Posted August 31, 2000 - 06:35 AM

Off the Mobil-1 website FAQ's:

Q) Can I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in my bike, just like I use in my car? Mobil 1 is Mobil 1, right?

A) Mobil 1 for cars and Mobil 1 for motorcycles are markedly different. Every oil is a balance of benefits. Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula for cars has been developed specifically to satisfy car manufacturers' needs for increased fuel economy and low emissions.
That's why new cars come with friction-modified, low-phosphorus 5W-30 motor oil. The low viscosity and the friction modifiers help fuel economy. The low phosphorus levels help protect catalytic converters.

Q) So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

A) First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:
- Superior long-term engine protection.
- Superior high-temperature stability.
- Excellent low-temperature starting.
- Outstanding engine performance.
- Low volatility/low oil consumption.

It's a little hard to generalize about the differences between Mobil 1 passenger car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:
- Different base stock systems.
- Different additive packages.
- Different formulations to meet very specific engine requirements.

Draw your own conclusions. . .

The real question is "WHERE THE HECK CAN YOU FIND MOBIL 1 for motorcycles?" :)

'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system & UNI air, Jetting by Clark, James & Bryan. . .

[This message has been edited by Gary Kessler (edited 08-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gary Kessler (edited 09-01-2000).]

• BruceWA

Posted August 31, 2000 - 11:03 AM

Tim, I use nothing but diesel oil in both the engine and in the fuel tank. Makes alot of smoke and not as much power. Keeps the Lake Wenatchee mosquitos away though. :)

• Tim_in_WA

Posted August 31, 2000 - 05:47 PM

I knew I could count on you Rock! Hope you found the finish line at the Colorado 500!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.