'07 450 Handlebars (which bend/model?)

8 replies to this topic
  • nysurfsf

Posted August 11, 2007 - 10:57 AM

Another thread references that the bar is the pro taper contour bar with an OEM bend.

The only Contour model I can find come in multiple bends. Where do I get the exact bar that came on the bike? The dealers are confuseded as well?

In the Yamaha specs they claim this bar to be new and raised 8mm so this is the one I want.

Anyone know the exact bar price and who can ship it to me? Bonus points if you can come up with a reason why in hell they had to make this one so hard to figure out.

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2007 - 04:39 PM

The OEM '06 bar is about 4-5mm lower and has less pull back than a Pro Taper YZ high, which is about like a Tag YZ bend. The Doug Henry/Reed bend form PT is 6-7mm higher than that, and has very slightly more pull back than the YZ High. I think you'd like that one. If you want the next higher bar, that would be the Windham bend. My son runs those on our '06, and likes them a lot (he's 6'3", I'm 5'10"). They seem a little high for me for the first couple of laps while sitting, but I adapt, and they're very comfortable when standing.

• Wiz636

Posted August 11, 2007 - 06:41 PM

I run the Pro taper Pastrana FMX bend bars as they are the highest bend I can find. I like the bend but I still want them higher.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted August 12, 2007 - 04:52 PM

I have the renthal fatbar 971 equivelant.Same bend that come on hondas.They are my favorate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2007 - 05:36 PM

I have the renthal fatbar 971 equivelant.Same bend that come on hondas.They are my favorate.

Do you know offhand what the rise is, or am I going to have to look it up? :D

• nysurfsf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 09:25 AM

I called Chapparal and they said they could get the bars....but he sounded confused as well.

He said they would be $187?

Pro Taper Evo are $89 and Contour models are $69....both all come with a variety of bends.

Is there anyway for sure to find out from Yamaha or pro taper if these bars are available as aftermarket or just as OEM (even though Pro taper is the supplier)

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2007 - 03:49 PM

Pro Taper would be more likely to be able and/or willing to provide that info, but I'm not sure why you're so determined to get the OEM '07 bend over any of the other possibilities, mentioned here or not. :excuseme: Especially at the price.

• nysurfsf

Posted September 27, 2007 - 11:54 AM

I found out the answer.

Pro Taper bar's for the '07 450 "Stock or OEM" you have to buy from Yamaha. And yes they are $189.

The closest bar to the one that came with the bike is the pro taper contour at $62+ from most online merchants. The model is the YZ high bend.

The pro taper evo model with the YZ high bend will be out at the end of October and will be apx. $82+

I got this answer from their Marketing guy......Big E who told me they made the bar's special for Yamaha so they don't sell them. I do not know the exact differences but he said these (yzhigh) were the absolute closest.

Hope it helps and put's and end to anyone else's search.

• todds924

Posted September 27, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I called Chapparal and they said they could get the bars....but he sounded confused as well.

He said they would be $187?

Pro Taper Evo are $89 and Contour models are $69....both all come with a variety of bends.

Is there anyway for sure to find out from Yamaha or pro taper if these bars are available as aftermarket or just as OEM (even though Pro taper is the supplier)

You cannot get the "stock" bend Pro Tapers except by ordering direct from Yamaha. That is why they are 187 dollars. They are only OEM. The "YZ High" are the closest acording to Pro Taper. I love the bend of the stockers but after trying the Henry/Reeds, I like them more.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.