Water Pump Shaft Seal

3 replies to this topic
  • Clark_Mason

Posted August 28, 2000 - 06:24 PM

This week end was my turn to replace the seals and shaft for the water pump impeller on my WR 400. My 99 has approx 4500 miles on it and two weeks ago I noticed the start of coolant weeping out of the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump housing.

This weekend after completing yet another jetting run the weeping was much worse so I went to the Yam dealer and purchased all the parts and replaced both seals, the shaft and the clutch housing main gasket. Took about four hours and a lot of clean up in the garage for coolant and oil spills, I'm messey.

Man getting that bearing out was real tough as mine was a very tight fit.

Anyway seems as though this is a definate spot to keep and eye on with WR's over a year old or so.

Clark

• MotoGreg

Posted August 28, 2000 - 08:16 PM

I switched from coolant to water with Redline water wetter and it started leaking big time within 1/2 hour of running. When I replaced the seals I went back to coolant.

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity
'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)
I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted August 29, 2000 - 07:22 PM

Moto Greg

Thats interesting as I run Spectro premixed coolant with four cap fulls of Red Line Water wetter. However, I have had similar problems with Husabergs having the seal on the water side of the shaft go after about a year. I figued that the water side does not get the benefit of a constant oil bath like the engine side and this eventually leads to seal failure on the water side first in almost every case.

Clark

• MotoGreg

Posted August 29, 2000 - 07:47 PM

I'm not sure why mine leaked, I don't know if the water wetter lacks lubricant that coolant has or what. From what Redline says the water wetter helps even when mixed with coolant/water so that may be the best route to go.

Also, Honda coolant doesn't have silicate so it doesn't build up all the white crusty crap in the cooling system.

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity
'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)
I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.