Not Good!!!

5 replies to this topic
  • 426 boy

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:50 AM

hay guys, i just rebuilt my motor completely, its a yz426f 2002 model and i was real excited when i first got it home from the shop i went and rode it, it was quite wet and i rode for about an hour and then put it in the shed but wen i came back the next morning i found a small puddle of oil on the ground under neath:eek: so i checked the bolts over and found the main bottom drain plug not all the way screwed in:crazy: the thread was half exposed. so i instantly drained the oil and renewed it, but do u guys think anything actually got in? the other thing is that after 5hours of riding there is still a pinch full of shavings coming through the oil filter,and theyre a little biggger than they should be i think? I just rebuilt the fifth gear and put things like new shifter fork in and new piston and half a crankshaft and new cam chain??????:excuseme: :excuseme:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:58 AM

hay guys, i just rebuilt my motor completely, its a yz426f 2002 model and i was real excited when i first got it home from the shop i went and rode it, it was quite wet and i rode for about an hour and then put it in the shed but wen i came back the next morning i found a small puddle of oil on the ground under neath:eek: so i checked the bolts over and found the main bottom drain plug not all the way screwed in:crazy: the thread was half exposed. so i instantly drained the oil and renewed it, but do u guys think anything actually got in? the other thing is that after 5hours of riding there is still a pinch full of shavings coming through the oil filter,and theyre a little biggger than they should be i think? I just rebuilt the fifth gear and put things like new shifter fork in and new piston and half a crankshaft and new cam chain??????:excuseme: :excuseme:

drain it and measure how much oil comes out...hopefully at least a qt comes out
then refill with fresh oil and fresh oil filter...shavings are normal....and will take a few rides until they are gone.....make sure you properly tighten the oil drain bolt :busted:

• Wiz636

Posted August 10, 2007 - 12:25 PM

wen i drained it there was heaps there but i just hope no grit got in.

I would think that you are okay in regards to any grit getting in. As long as the drain bolt was still partially in there and with oil seeping outwards I don't see how any dirt could make it's way past the threads, against gravity, and the seeping oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 00 Kracker 00

Posted August 10, 2007 - 12:28 PM

Exactly what wiz said. Theres no way you got any grit up there.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2007 - 01:20 PM

I'm sure that you're OK. There's virtually no possibility of any thing getting into the engine that way. The chips you see may be from break in of the new gears, or leftovers from the previous failure.

But do you understand how close you came? There is NO excuse for a loose drain plug. :naughty:

• 426 boy

Posted August 11, 2007 - 02:28 PM

yea, cheers guys :thumbsup: , i can ride in peace now.:ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.