07' YZ450F Low speed stalls.

15 replies to this topic
  • Timberwolf056

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:00 AM

OK im new here at TT. I just purchased an 07'YZ450F on Monday 8/6 took it out and broke it in. I spent the next day doing the after break-in service. One of the things that I had read about was a low speed inertia stall that these bikes were said to have. I'm here to tell you they sure do. It can be a pain in the rear and down right dangerous if your not carefull. I ride on all sorts of terrains including some pretty technical hill climbs where you are almost vertical and have to change direction. With "ALOT" of clutch work which will kill your hand it can be done I did it.

Now from what I have read you can fix this by adding weight to the flywheel or get a heavier flywheel for added weight. Now my question is which flywheel would be the best choice. I am a large rider 6'5" 370lbs "yes I played football" As I mentioned I do alot of diffrent ridding in all sorts of terrain and slow speed manuvers are a must. I was thinking an 8oz. is this ok??

Thanks Chuck

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:02 AM

Get a Rekluse Pro model. They transform MX bikes for trail use. http://rekluse.com/z-Start_FAQ.htm

• the bodj

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:06 AM

u can also turn ur idle up, or learn to use the clutch to keep it from stalling. im sick of people complaining about their bikes. be happy u have one. rant over. congrats on the new bike! yamahas are awsome.

• the bodj

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:10 AM

oh and ur hand will get stronger from the clutch pull and it will be easy really soon

• Timberwolf056

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:13 AM

lol im far from complaining, I have been on Yamahas since I was little. Starting with my fathers CT-1. I also own a 1973 AT-3 and a 1980 MX175G. Not to mention my street bike is an 04' V-max. I was just trying to get some solid info on adding some weight to the flywheel instead of constantly grabbing some clutch. I will however turn the idle up as you have mentioned and see if that helps.

• flintlock28

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Get a Dr. D Flywheel (I use a 6 oz.) but recommend you go with the 8 oz. for your riding. Dr. D allows you to send them back whatever weight you have, for exchanging a different weight. That way you can experiment.

Turning up your idle slightly does help when hillclimbing/riding tight trails. My Dr. D slip on definitely helped with low-end riding.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 10:49 AM

8 - 15oz will help you in the woods and for hillclimbs after you turn the idle up.
Remember it is a MX bike and for woods the Recluse is great for the clutch issues in tight woods - the flywheel option is cheaper and will help you carry more torque at lower RPMs....the reason you are stalling:thumbsup:
Stealthy/ZipTy Racing can help you - call them for assist

• Timberwolf056

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:02 AM

Yea I kinda figured the stalling thing out pretty quick. I compensated for it with the clutch in low speed situations and kept the engine RPM up. Thanks guys for all the input I will be putting it to use. There may come a day I can help one of you with some advice. The Recluse is somthing I will surley be looking at. I just ordered my 3.2 gal fuel tank and kick stand lol. Im learning. I still wouldent have taken the WR over the YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:05 AM

Yea I kinda figured the stalling thing out pretty quick. I compensated for it with the clutch in low speed situations and kept the engine RPM up. Thanks guys for all the input I will be putting it to use. There may come a day I can help one of you with some advice. The Recluse is somthing I will surley be looking at. I just ordered my 3.2 gal fuel tank and kick stand lol. Im learning. I still wouldent have taken the WR over the YZ.

yep this is what you have to do with the clutch...unfortunately putting a lot of wear and tear on it....this is a plus for Recluse or a slipper clutch.
Don't forget your bark busters......ouch :naughty:

• matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:36 AM

Dont go Slow....problem solved :p

• bigred455

Posted August 11, 2007 - 10:47 AM

The stalling will go away after the motor has a few hrs on it.

• rexbond007

Posted August 11, 2007 - 03:34 PM

The stalling will go away after the motor has a few hrs on it.

i found the same. the motor frees up some and even gets easier to start.
but if you do go with a flywheel, the off road yamaha gytr is a 9 oz, and it will really help with slower speeds also go to a 51 tooth sprocket , you'll find you will clutch less a slower speeds.

• chinweed

Posted August 12, 2007 - 04:22 PM

I just installed the 9oz gytr and love it. I would highly recommend it.

• Timberwolf056

Posted August 12, 2007 - 11:57 PM

Yea I have only about 3 hours on it so far. It rained here for a week straight and all the trails are really greasy right now. I have been running in some old strip mines with some solid terrain, but all the washes there are all chewed up right now so its fun in the rocks. In the greasy stuff all it wants to do is break loose and dance. I have got the stalling to 1 or 2 times a ride. It has been starting eaiser, I also went to an NGK Iridium plug. I am working on getting the clutch mod and a flywheel and that should do it. I had read about changing sprokets, however being relatively new to the large thumper game. I think the gearing is pretty close to where I want it. I also like the fact that the front wheel will lift with ease with me on the bike. Its quite impressive.

• btray

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:28 AM

installe the SFB 13oz this week and rode it without stalling it once...love the way it enter turns and smooth power on the way out...13oz is the way to go for woods...my son rode the bike which is faster now than I am and he never complained about any lack of hit but even looked beter throught the turns. It's a no brainer. Rekluse are expensive use the money on suspension and get the bike set up for your weight...I've springs for 250 pound rider and I'm 235 and it handles the hard hitting jumps and is a breeze through the chop...but you may want to check with someone who can set your suspension up for trail rather motocross tracks...just an opinion whick there doesnt seem to be a shortage of on TT

• WB450

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:48 AM

I just installed the 9oz gytr and love it. I would highly recommend it.

I'm in the process of putting the 9oz on my 07 450, can't wait to ride it. Just ordered a 3.1 IMS tank, where does it end.:banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.