Oil filter and stainless steel ones for L

9 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted August 10, 2007 - 04:07 AM

You guys change your filter at every oil change ?

Is there a lifetime SS one made for this model?

Are there aftermarket paper ones ?

Think I paid at least 7-9 bucks for an OEM one, can I get them cheaper ?

Does an OC every 1500 miles sound good? I'm real easy on my bike, just road cruzing for now. Use 15W40 Shell Rotella.

• goblin127

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:14 AM

Yes most change the filter every oil change and yes there are aftermarket filters like emgo and probly others. I order mine through the TT store. A bunch at a time 3 bucks or so each.

• reconranger

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:24 AM

Take a close look at a stainless filter. The mesh size is so large, that there is no way it is going to catch any fine particles.

A standard automotive filter will sieve 40 uM particles. Wise folks will find themselves one that will sieve 10 uM. You think a stainless mesh that you can see through is going to even get anywhere near 40uM....no way....

• philipstjohn

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:56 AM

You guys change your filter at every oil change ?

Is there a lifetime SS one made for this model?

Are there aftermarket paper ones ?

Think I paid at least 7-9 bucks for an OEM one, can I get them cheaper ?

Does an OC every 1500 miles sound good? I'm real easy on my bike, just road cruzing for now. Use 15W40 Shell Rotella.

1. yes, I change the filter with every oil change-2. Yes, I believe they do make a SS filter for the L, and you can do a search on this heated debate of SS or paper filtration-3. Yes, there are aftermarket paper filter options-4. I change my oil based on the manuals schedule (the R is every 600 miles)

I go thru Service Honda or Honda Direct for OEM parts- The main reason
the local dealers do not stock parts for my bike so they have to order them, so why let them order the parts and charge me double? I just ordered from Honda Direct- the filters were 4.19, (I shopped aftermarket filters- cheapest
I found was 3.99) I usually order a 1/2 dozen or so to help offset the shipping costs, plus I ordered a few other OEM parts as well and saved at least 40-50% off dealer pricing for the same things. The shipping was only $5.00. I would spent double that in gas to go to the local dealer (which is 30 mins away) Many suppliers offer free shipping, so you can save here as well. If you know what you want, the internet seems to be the way to go and you can save money as well!... :ride:

• martinfan30

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:52 AM

i am a big time beleiver in a filter at every oil change. also use nothing but oem filters. this coming from the experience of seeing after market oil filter failures at work. also clean downtube screen every oil change. i also replace the drain plug washers at every change. i do all this at 1000 miles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • COAL RUN

Posted August 10, 2007 - 09:15 AM

I change mine at about 800 - 1000 mi always use oem filters. local stealer sells them for $5.49. I would not use a re-usable oil filter myself as they do let larger partical thru & how do you know for sure that you have it completly clean after you have used it?

• Huffa 2

Posted August 10, 2007 - 01:41 PM

Take a close look at a stainless filter. The mesh size is so large, that there is no way it is going to catch any fine particles.

A standard automotive filter will sieve 40 uM particles. Wise folks will find themselves one that will sieve 10 uM. You think a stainless mesh that you can see through is going to even get anywhere near 40uM....no way....

:excuseme: See thru ? No way you can see thru a SS filter that I know of.

I appreciate your opinion though and just wondering about them. I had one in my CRF but not sure I want to run one again or not.

As for cleaning them, they are no problem what so ever to clean, I always blasted mine with carb cleaner.

http://www.americand...ike.com/k&p.htm

• Throttlejockey

Posted August 10, 2007 - 01:59 PM

Huffa, what the heck did you go and do?????

• Huffa 2

Posted August 10, 2007 - 02:25 PM

Huffa, what the heck did you go and do?????

RETIRED !

What are you doing snooping around on here ?

So your a moderator now, congradulations ! What forum do you "police"? Just the CRF 450 ?

GEEZEZ, 13,000 + posts ...........that mostly on the 450/250 forums ?

OH, you just have 250's any more ?

• Throttlejockey

Posted August 10, 2007 - 04:12 PM

I'm the moderator of the CRF250R forum. Just 250's now.

XR650 eh? Congrats on the bike.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.