Frame is awry XR650L

3 replies to this topic
  • Ryanthegreat1

Posted August 09, 2007 - 07:54 PM

So I was getting my frame stripped down and ready for powder coating when I noticed some non-factory welds. You know the type, too cold and look like a pile of bird poop. So I snapped some pictures to explain what I found and to try and get some answers.

The first two pictures are of the right rear side of the of the frame near where the muffler bolts up. It aprears that someone has added a nut to the frame for some reason. I know I didn't remove any bolts for it so maybe someone could go pull their number plate and tell me if they have something bolted up there.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The next two pictures are from the inside of the frame on the left side right about where the chain runs. I have no idea why this area has crapy welds all over it. Is this a common point of failure on the frame? Or maybe the chain had chewed up the frame a bit?

Posted Image
Posted Image

So should I be worried about the frame's structural soundness? And before I coat the frame are there any areas that need to be reinforced so that they don't become an issue in the future.

• jesusgatos

Posted August 09, 2007 - 09:14 PM

Man, that looks hideous. I'd cut all that junk off just to see what's under there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted August 10, 2007 - 04:34 AM

Maybe the previous owner created a mount for a rack system, then tried to strenghten the frame below? If it is a frame repair below, you may want to make sure all is well before you go thru the time and expense of the powder coat job...:thumbsup:

• suharianu

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:02 AM

the frame has some weak spots,mine cracked near the rear brake reservoir
where the mufffler bolts to the frame,and second crack was on the left side
where the subframe attaches to main frame, and i think i have noticed another one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.