Did i raise my fork tubes too much (06 yz450f)?

25 replies to this topic
  • yamasaki

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Looks a little high. i had them up to just the first line last weekend. i wanted to try a more aggressive setting this weekend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Slinkyman16

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:52 PM

ive heard alot of people moving there forks up 10mm instead of 5.. it looks good to me..

• NM_KDX200

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I've had my '04 up that high but am now back to just below the fork cap.

How much difference did you notice?

• twenty34

Posted August 09, 2007 - 09:24 PM

go back to the line. I tried them up like that and it handled like Poo Poo!@

Is this another, "my bike won't turn" thread?

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2007 - 10:14 PM

If you can tolerate the loss of high speed stability (which may not be that great), it will turn better that way. Specifically, it should be a little quicker on turn in, and push a little less, but it may also want to tuck the front under in a bumpy turn. My son tried it there. He said he liked it better lower, so he has them back at 7mm again. I didn't get to spend too much time on it that day, so I couldn't tell you in any depth.

• yamasaki

Posted August 10, 2007 - 03:44 AM

i was actually very happy with it at the first line, just wanted to keep trying different settings, you know, all the extremes so i can get a good feel of what one extreme feels like vs the other.

this is not another "my yzf doesnt turn" thread... more like a... "different settings to try on your yzf" thread. :-)

i like to ride the long, wide-open mx/outdoor track where i ride.. so.. high speed stability loss is not a good thing. :-)

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 10, 2007 - 04:38 AM

I tried sliding the forks up, as a "no cost" chassis tweak to see if it would help the YZ lay into the corner a bit quicker, and yes it did, BUT every chassis tweak has an alternate reaction, which was (ans almost always is) incorperating some high speed wobble. I for one HATE the "handlebar dance" going down straights, as it makes me tense, and more quickly tires me. I run my forks on the scribe line, and seems to be a great compramise.....

• matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 04:59 AM

As many of you know I have a personal track behind my house. Well last weekend I spent 11 hours with tractors getting 2 turns really loamy and rutted out. This whole week has been play week for me testing different things on my 06. I Have my forks damn near exactly like your now and I dont Like it. I feel much better at the 5mm line. Maybe its because I am used to it there. I have gone up, down, with the forks, set different sag from 107mm-93mm. Played with bars in different positions, clickers etc. From what I have found for ME is I like it how I had it. 105mm sag thats what enzo said and I like it, forks on 5mm line. Bike still doesnt turn as well as I would like comapred to some I ride. I have 6 bikes in my garage that my friends keep there to ride my place so there are lots of goodies to test against. Give me everything else the Yamaha has and they way the suzuki turns Id be in heaven. But thats like asking for A women, That is Rich, Hot and Cant talk.:blah: Im done now

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:06 AM

As many of you know I have a personal track behind my house. Well last weekend I spent 11 hours with tractors getting 2 turns really loamy and rutted out. This whole week has been play week for me testing different things on my 06. I Have my forks damn near exactly like your now and I dont Like it. I feel much better at the 5mm line. Maybe its because I am used to it there. I have gone up, down, with the forks, set different sag from 107mm-93mm. Played with bars in different positions, clickers etc. From what I have found for ME is I like it how I had it. 105mm sag thats what enzo said and I like it, forks on 5mm line. Bike still doesnt turn as well as I would like comapred to some I ride. I have 6 bikes in my garage that my friends keep there to ride my place so there are lots of goodies to test against. Give me everything else the Yamaha has and they way the suzuki turns Id be in heaven. But thats like asking for A women, That is Rich, Hot and Cant talk.:blah: Im done now

Amen Matt....my results are semi identical to yours.....now I am testing different fork heights and sag settings with my Applied Rac 24mm clamp kit...but at this setting 5mm, 100 -105mm sag the 06 works so much better with the new clamp offset...but, more than 5-7mmmm fork height, you lose straight line highspeed stability

let me know if that "A" women has any sisters, when you find her :applause: :applause:

• yamasaki

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:24 AM

its easy enough to switch my fork height at the track. we'll know in the first moto whether this setting is better/worse than when i had it at the 5mm line.

i agree about headshake. i HATE headshake. i'd rather work on my cornering techniques some more than deal with headshake down the straights at WFO speeds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:00 AM

its easy enough to switch my fork height at the track. we'll know in the first moto whether this setting is better/worse than when i had it at the 5mm line.

i agree about headshake. i HATE headshake. i'd rather work on my cornering techniques some more than deal with headshake down the straights at WFO speeds.

I didnt have that much increased headshake:excuseme: , but I just didnt like the way the bike felt. The higher I go with the forks it seems to want to fight me more in the ruts. I just didnt feel as smooth maybe its me. But headshake wasnt a problem and my straights are rough on my track. My bike is by far the most stable than any I have ever ridden in a straight line.

• yamasaki

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:11 AM

I didnt have that much increased headshake:excuseme: , but I just didnt like the way the bike felt. The higher I go with the forks it seems to want to fight me more in the ruts. I just didnt feel as smooth maybe its me. But headshake wasnt a problem and my straights are rough on my track. My bike is by far the most stable than any I have ever ridden in a straight line.

did it feel like it just wanted to turn in on you and you had to fight to keep it from folding in? what kind of fighting feeling was it?

thanks for the feedback

• matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:24 AM

did it feel like it just wanted to turn in on you and you had to fight to keep it from folding in? what kind of fighting feeling was it?

thanks for the feedback

I have tried this several times, but I have many types of corners at my house from full blown SX corners, Flat turns, and now really deep rutted corners. I actually like it In the SX berms, but not anywhere else. It seems that I can cut out faster but it was killing me in the ruts I would do 20 turns one way have my cousin time me, then make changes and do 20 again, etc. I felt I had to fight the bike all the way through more with the forks raised higher. At the 5mm mark, I could just smoke through them SMOOTHLY, I actually had a harder time staying in the ruts with the forks raised like it was to "twitchy". Like the bike didnt know how to act I could hit it 5 times good then 5 times bad where at the 5mm mark I was much smoother and therefore faster. Try it it different corners it might work for you. Like I said maybe its me I am just used to 5mm mark but, I didnt like them raised 10-12mm:thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:28 AM

And as far as "turning in" it will turn in better but to twitchy feeling. Like wanted to turn in to fast, so if I tried to correct then I was cross rutted. I tried my ass off to get it to work for me but I never got comfortable. If I was riding a SX track only no doubt I would run them this way, because I felt I could get in, get out a little faster

• flintlock28

Posted August 10, 2007 - 08:00 AM

My 04' at the 10mm line has never even hinted at showing headshake.

But, 10mm definitely improves cornering;especially when used along with an aftermarket Stormlink linkage.

• 99raptor

Posted August 10, 2007 - 03:40 PM

my 04 is at the same spot,,,i like it there

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:05 PM

My 04' at the 10mm line has never even hinted at showing headshake.

But, 10mm definitely improves cornering;especially when used along with an aftermarket Stormlink linkage.

amen same on my 03:thumbsup:

• yamasaki

Posted August 13, 2007 - 05:11 PM

sometimes i just don't know if it's all in my head or what?

i rode one moto with them up high like that and didn't like it, i lowered them back down to the 1st scribe line and felt more comfortable on the bike that way.

what is this stormlink linkage you speak of and what does it do, where do i get one and how much does it cost? :-)

• bigwake

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:20 PM

i'm lost..are you guys meaning that you are making the forks come up thru the clamps? or are you saying that you're making the forks go down in the clamps?..ther pics didn't load..and i have headshake a lot at high speeds..and my forks are fully high..as high as can be in the clamps..need help :/

• fst450

Posted August 16, 2007 - 02:40 PM

Try losing thirty pounds!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.