Need some HELP ASAP Yz450F Rebuild!

8 replies to this topic
  • mxzxracer16

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:13 PM

Need some HELP ASAP Yz450F Rebuild!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys this is my first time rebuilding a YZ450f the bike is an 2006 I installed the new crank and have been putting everything back together! Well anyways I got the bike all put back together and I went to kick it over and NOTHING the kick starter wouldnt even budge. Well I tore it all back down thinking a ring must not be aligned correct on the piston. Well I took the top end apart and here is what I've got. The entire bottom end rolls over so smooth and easily but when I go to install the piston into the cylinder it fits but there seems to be alot of drag on the piston threw the cylinder!?!? Is that common am I missing something or what guys? It is a new wiseco piston I put the old one back in and same thing is happening, if you put a wrench on the crank shaft you can turn the engine over when the top ends on but it is not free rolling at all it to give you an idea of what the drag feels like it feels like your fighting a compression stroke constanly and that is with just the cylinder on not the upper head. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE some help would be great!

• bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:17 PM

maybe you need oil on the piston sides/cylinder wall? i wish i could help..but i really don't know

• runester

Posted August 10, 2007 - 12:11 AM

Sounds to me like your cranks not lined up...it turns free w/out the jug because there is no drag, w/the jug on the piston isnt going straight up and down, its angled, un-aligned crank...did you use a jig?
That s what it sounds like to me...
Good luck w/that...
Rune

• mxzxracer16

Posted August 10, 2007 - 03:51 AM

I really wish it was the crank not sitting at the correct angle. But the piston itself alone when triing to put it in cylinder on the bench has a ton of drag going up and down in the cylinder! I think the cylinder may be distorted at this point! Aghhhh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • digg1er

Posted August 10, 2007 - 04:19 AM

I think you should check the timing chain and guides/tensioners... Make sure the front tensioner is in correctly! and the auto tensioner isn't overloading the tension on the chain.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2007 - 06:32 AM

The piston with new rings will not run freely up and down the cylinder. It is. however, possible to improperly assemble the oil rings and run into trouble. Since you're fairly new to this kind of work, I'd suggest taking the cylinder and piston over to a shop and have someone give it a look. It's a little hard to help you more than that from here.

• yamasaki

Posted August 10, 2007 - 06:43 AM

i rebuilt the motor in my '03 twice (the first time i forgot to install a circlip on one side of the piston wrist pin. argh! boy did that create a disaster the first time i fell over on the track towards that side and the wrist pin made contact with the cylinder wall!

anyways, double check the rings on the piston and make sure you are installing them with the right sides facing up. there should not be a reason why you can't kick the bike over. are there streaks on the cylinder walls from removing the piston from the cylinder after you reassembled it?

make sure you wear gloves and rub plenty of motor oil with your fingers tips on the cylinder walls when you are reassembling the motor. same thing for the wrist pin, oil it up good.

when you slide the cylinder back on again, don't put the head on just yet. hold the timing chain up with one hand, and with the other, see if you can manually push down on the kickstarter (very slowly) or have someone help you with that (easier way).

also, how are you lining up your cams? if you're not doing the cam timing right, that could prevent you from kicking also (which is a really, really good thing in that case). both lobes cant be up at the same time.

take pics of the cylinder wall for us, and take pics of how you lined up your cams when you put the chain back on.

unfortunately, i learned how to rebuild a yz450f the hard way! :-)

• mxzxracer16

Posted August 11, 2007 - 06:37 AM

Thanks guys, Im not new to rebuilding enines by anymeans just never touched a 450f motor. Well anyways I put my bore micrometer down the cylinder and found it to be .80 out of round! And measure the old piston circumfrence and that was also ovalized and why it would fit. Got a new cylinder last night and rode it around at about 11 lastnight all is well! THANKS so much guys

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Pistons are "cam ground", that is, they aren't cylindrical when they're new. They are (those that have a full skirt) oval shaped as viewed from the bottom, and barrel shaped as viewed from the sides. They are the largest at a point about level with the wrist pin centerline, and at 90 degrees to the pin bore (i.e., the front and the back).

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.