New To '05 650/ Backfire

5 replies to this topic
  • hatterasman

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:49 PM

i went from dr 200 to this 650 which was the right choice. I bought it with 1500 miles and was wondering if the bigger bikes are going to backfire. As I shift thru gears it will sometimes do it. I can fix anything on my trruck but bikes are new to me. Any help for the new TT dummy?

Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:57 PM

i went from dr 200 to this 650 which was the right choice. I bought it with 1500 miles and was wondering if the bigger bikes are going to backfire. As I shift thru gears it will sometimes do it. I can fix anything on my trruck but bikes are new to me. Any help for the new TT dummy?

Thanks

is this an 05 650R or 650L? if it is stock, the lean jetting will cause popping and occasionally a good backfire. how long has it sat? could be a restriction in the pilot circuit too. all the info you can provide about the bike will help with a pinpoint answer. by the way, welcome to the pig family!lol!:busted:

• hatterasman

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:07 PM

wow you guys are quick.... it is the L. It does have a KN air filter.. not stock? which made me think it would run lean if he didn't do anything to the carb. It has not been sitting.... in a months time of having it I have put 1200 miles on it. To and from work. trying to save some $ on gas. the truck loves the fuel

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:31 PM

wow you guys are quick.... it is the L. It does have a KN air filter.. not stock? which made me think it would run lean if he didn't do anything to the carb. It has not been sitting.... in a months time of having it I have put 1200 miles on it. To and from work. trying to save some $ on gas. the truck loves the fuel

get rid of that k&N! use a uni filter. k&n doesnt really filter as well as a properly oiled uni.you are right, that filter will require a rejet to more rich. what is your elevation? do daves mods or buy a dynojet kit. this will cure the b.firing/popping.

• hatterasman

Posted August 10, 2007 - 09:10 AM

I might be below sea level... haha Out on an island of NC. Is it possible to just raise the pin in the carb or do I have to rejet. Thanks for the help.

• Thorpey

Posted August 10, 2007 - 09:26 PM

All the above as well as this below. I copied it from an earlier post. The intake valves seem to tighten up alot more frequently than the exhaust.
-----------------------------------------------
Have you checked your valves? Valves heats up, clearance goes away, intake valve open a little at TDC. BAM! Might want to checkum. Easy to start cold, hard to start hot + backfiring could be valves. Make sure you are off the auto decompressor if you do.

Here's a link if you've never done them: http://www.xr650r.us/tech/valves.pdf

If I'm dealing with a new-to-me bike I always confirm proper valve clearance before attempting jetting. It can save alot of time and frustration. And if the clearance checks out good..., then YOU know it 'cause YOU checked them!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.