Need help

2 replies to this topic
  • JAMIE_WILLIAMS

Posted August 23, 2000 - 12:46 PM

Last night i was trying to get the drive sprocket off my 99 wr400 so i could change from a 15t to a 14t.I had the bike in gear and rear break on trying to loosen the bolt. The bolt would not move so after about one hour of frustration I went to put the bike away I pull in the clutch because it was still in first gear and went to push but the bike won't move.I put it in neutral and it is fine. I put it in 4th or 5th pull in the clutch and I can push it but as I go down gears it gets harder to push.The clutch is adjusted right and was working fine before. I have not started the engine yet. Does this sound like a problem with the clutch? Will it free up when I start the engine or have I damaged something. Has anyone else experienced this.I am at a loss as to what to do so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted August 23, 2000 - 02:13 PM

That's strange...

I don't know that it matters but if you are using the brake, by way of the chain, to hold the gear and shaft while you torque on the nut then the motor doesn't need to be in gear.

Only thing I can think of is that with bike in gear you were trying to turn motor, by way of the clutch, as you torqued on the nut.

But this happens every time you let off the throttle (engine braking) so I don't see how that could do any harm. But maybe it somehow made the clutch bind up.

Put it in neutral and fire it up to oil up the clutch. Then kill it and try to roll it in first w/ clutch again and see what happens...

I have read other posts where guys had hell getting the countershaft nut off. You may need an air impact wrench to remove it (that's what I always use anyway).

I wouldn't worry about it, but I hope everything works out.

• JAMIE_WILLIAMS

Posted August 24, 2000 - 12:34 PM

Hick
I started the engine and done what you said and after the engine was warm I put it in gear and every thing was o.k.
So I don't know what went wrong but it is fine now. Thanks for your support.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.