Newbie w/ a few questions

2 replies to this topic
  • Jerry

Posted August 23, 2000 - 03:55 AM

It's been a few years since I've been on a bike so please forgive my ignorance. I'm now riding a '00 WR400.
(1) When you talk of removing the air box cover are you refering to the entire lid or just the smaller "snorkel" piece where the air currently is let in??

(2) I tried removing the entire lid, the exhaust baffle and put in the shorter YZ throttle stop. I haven't had a chance to ride her much since, but on the maiden voyage
there was a noticable hesitation when I first cracked the throttle (she almost died)unless I rolled the power on slowly. I'm assuming a jetting problem but wasn't sure if a complete re-jet was in order or if there may be a more simple fix.
I'm planning on going with the YZ timing and a new pipe/silencer soon so if a complete re-jet is on order maybe I should just deal with it for now as I'm assuming another re-jet after the timing and pipe mods are complete.

Thanks in advance - Jerry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted August 23, 2000 - 08:23 AM

1- the entire lid

2- WR's and YZ's are very sensitive when it comes to intake or exhaust changes.

Welcome

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 23, 2000 - 09:10 PM

I left the lid in place however; I used a utility knife and removed all but the perimeter of the lid. My logic is that by leaving the lid rim, I'll have a better chance of keeping water out that runs down between my seat/tank junction. Could be crap, just my .02 cents.

I have also removed my baffle and my jetting is just fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.