Another boring exhaust question

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 22, 2000 - 08:39 AM

Thanks to those who have responded to my two posts in the past month. After not owning a bike for about 15 years I purchased a 2000 WR this summer so I could ride with my two boys. I've tried to read all I can about exhausts for the WR but have a few specific questions yet to answered. Bottom line I'm looking to replace my stock exhaust so I can save some weight and increase performance. I ride mostly MX (for fun). The places we ride offroad have signs posted "Maximum 99 db".

Here's my question: Which after-market pipe will save weight, increase performance, help with MX riding and keep the sound under 99 db? Thanks!

• Gary_Kessler

Posted August 22, 2000 - 09:42 PM

DSP fits requirements one and two. Don't know about the 99dB. . .

'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system, UNI air, Dunlop D756, ProTapers, Devol Rad Guards, P-38, Mason/Dean Jetting specs. . .and lovin' it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted August 22, 2000 - 10:41 AM

Another noise question?

I'm not sure if anything other than the stock silencer, and maybe the White Bro.s Randy Hawkins silencer, will be below 99 Db. since in the Dirt Bike (I think) test all were well over 100 Dbs (most were around 104).

But I'm sure it matters exactly how the test is conducted. In the article the sound test was conducted w/ RPMs at 1/2 of redline with the meter like 20 feet from the pipe (I think).

Some silencers can have parts changed to make them quiter, there is one in particular that offers a "Quiet" silencer insert...

...but I can't remember which. Sorry.

• Bill

Posted August 23, 2000 - 08:00 AM

I run the White Bros Tapered header and E-Series silencer. It is loud but can be "tuned down". In the "tuned down" set up I don't know how much improvement there would be over stock with baffle removed.

How does the bike turn? I am also coming off a multi year no bike deal. I thought I was just slow and then I put the YZ seat/tank combo on and now. I'm still slow but I can corner faster:-)

The big plus with a header is the ability to change the oil filter without removing the exhaust. Try a tapered headed and the stock silencer with baffle removed. Then with the money you saved, you can buy the seat/tank combo.

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.