What oil is recommed by you guys for the yzf

33 replies to this topic
  • bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:05 PM

BIGWAKE----- I already told you that honda oil makes ya valves go bad duhhhhhh havent you heard haha

hahaha..looks like i'm going to have some set backs coming up..yikes!haha..but im going to use amsoil from now on..if i can find somewhere to buy it

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:00 AM

Had been told that you could run pretty much any 10w40 motor oil but after recently looking at the manual it recommends a certain kind of oil due to glaze over on the cluth...is this a real thing or has it been disproven?

Thanks Bill

Bill, congratulations!! You are the one millionth poster of "what oil to run in my YZ" !!

Do a little searching first, then you will find a year's worth of reading on this exact topic.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:13 AM

Bill, congratulations!! You are the one millionth poster of "what oil to run in my YZ" !!

Do a little searching first, then you will find a year's worth of reading on this exact topic.

:banghead: :blah: :rant: :foul:

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2007 - 06:42 AM

http://www.thumperta...748#post5067748

http://www.thumperta...445#post5071445

• Crabtree426

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:02 AM

Cut btray some slack. He is a newbie after all. Welcome to TT Bill. Oh yeah, I use spectro or yamalube. :thumbsup:

• rmandyzf

Posted August 10, 2007 - 09:37 AM

belray thumper 20w50 for warmer weather and maxima extra synthetic 10w40 for winter

• VOODOOCHILD

Posted August 14, 2007 - 11:00 AM

I use Spectro 10W40. Works good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WB450

Posted August 14, 2007 - 11:06 AM

hahaha..looks like i'm going to have some set backs coming up..yikes!haha..but im going to use amsoil from now on..if i can find somewhere to buy it

Go to the web site and get on the preferred buyer plan, or what ever it's called and have it shipped to you.

• bboyce

Posted August 14, 2007 - 11:39 AM

I run Amsoil and I am a firm believer it is the best out there.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 14, 2007 - 12:01 PM

please for the luv of MX......stop responding to this thread......

Grey please shut it down....I beg you :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2007 - 12:54 PM

All you have to do is stop reading it. :excuseme:

• btray

Posted August 14, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Thanks guys enjoyed the retoric...no CF no ECII...I'll drain the Walmart Synthetic Mobile One look-a-like and get some Amsoil from my friend who is a dealer...he'll give it to me for cost...Oh and how long would it take for the ECII and CF stuff take to mess up or glaze over the clutch plates? I've ridden it probably an hour total in 10 min practice motos.

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:02 AM

I don't think that there's a problem with CF oils at all. EC II are the only ones that have the potential to cause trouble. If it were going to give you a problem, it most likely would have already, but there is the possibility that it could take longer. Either way, there's no certainty that it will cause trouble. But that's the problem; there's no certainty that it won't, either.

The info you really need is in the link I posted on the first page of this thread.

The three main things to remember are:

> Follow the manual recommendations for oil grade, avoid EC II oils, and don't be tempted to use a heavy oil if it's not really called for.

> Synthetics are generally better for several reasons, and won't hurt your clutch.

> Really good, high grade MC oils designed for use in motorcycles with transmissions don't necessarily lube any better than a good automotive oil, but they last far longer. It would seriously surprise you to find how quickly the transmission can beat up oils not specifically intended for such use.

• btray

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:38 PM

I think you're right on...really love this four-stroke...Yamaha has always been good to me...had a honda 250 back in 73 then went on to own 6 yamaha 2-smokes through the years and now it's stump pullin time with this 04 450.

have a good one and thanks for the patience.

Bill

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.