What oil is recommed by you guys for the yzf

33 replies to this topic
  • btray

Posted August 09, 2007 - 11:28 AM

Had been told that you could run pretty much any 10w40 motor oil but after recently looking at the manual it recommends a certain kind of oil due to glaze over on the cluth...is this a real thing or has it been disproven?

Thanks Bill

• SUnruh

Posted August 09, 2007 - 11:33 AM

the manual simply says to NOT use Energy Conserving II rated oils.
that is it.
it does show ambient heat ranges for that oil weights to use.
bascially a 40wt is good up to 104F.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 09, 2007 - 11:51 AM

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG:foul:

it never ends :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• btray

Posted August 09, 2007 - 12:08 PM

yea, I know as long as more people buy these things the more grief everybody will have to endure...but you guys live for this...you just have so much grey matter. He! He! He!

• jayh300

Posted August 09, 2007 - 12:17 PM

there seems to be an oil thread about once a week... Seriously, do a search on oil in the yzf forumn and it will come up with tons of info.
You do not want to use any automobile oil in your bike at all. There are tons of good synthetics listed in those threads.
btw I am running the rotella in mine and have had no probs. just make sure you change it way often, like the manual says.
welcome to TT... what part of texas are you in?? we are in the panhandle.

hey guys atleast we aren't talking about glowing headers today !!!!

• WB450

Posted August 09, 2007 - 12:22 PM

Had been told that you could run pretty much any 10w40 motor oil but after recently looking at the manual it recommends a certain kind of oil due to glaze over on the cluth...is this a real thing or has it been disproven?

Thanks Bill

I'll bet your pipe is red hot right out of the header when it idles for a while, right?:banghead:

• Wiz636

Posted August 09, 2007 - 12:28 PM

I run Mobile 1 Racing 4T and change it every six hours.

• matts06yzf

Posted August 09, 2007 - 12:55 PM

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Amsoil is much better.:p

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:01 PM

the manual simply says to NOT use Energy Conserving II rated oils.
that is it.
it does show ambient heat ranges for that oil weights to use.
bascially a 40wt is good up to 104F.

114, actually.

But he's right. It's important to note that the manual specifically says EC II oils may cause trouble, not will.

Other things to note:

JASO MA oils are certified compatible with your clutch, but most non-EC oils work.

Synthetics in general will not cause problems with your clutch, but almost all EC II oils are synthetic.

YZF's will rapidly destroy the additives that prevent multigrade oils from thinning at high temps unless the oil was specifically blended to be used as a transmission lube. Unless you know of published lab results that show that an oil can deal with this kind of service, or have seen a Used Oil Sample demonstrating stable viscosity, change the oil often.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

• Ga426owner

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:09 PM

yea, I know as long as more people buy these things the more grief everybody will have to endure...but you guys live for this...you just have so much grey matter. He! He! He!

thanks but a lot less grey matter than you think:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • djtroy

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:15 PM

You must have money to burn?

• CRF250X Rider

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:22 PM

I dont ride yamahas, but yamalube?

• Justin89

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:39 PM

I actually use Hondas HP10w-40. (The closest Yamaha dealer is an hour away so I go to the small Honda shop in our town) It seems to work well.

• WB450

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:42 PM

Amsoil for me.

• Wiz636

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:27 PM

Quite the opposite...that's why I use that oil and change it often. I ride pretty hard (A-class offroader) and find that preventative maintenance is significantly less expensive than major repairs.

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:05 PM

All of the Amsoil MCF I use in a year for two motorcycles (changing each 3 rides or 10 hours. more often in some cases) costs me less than $200. I'm sure I spend more than that on beer.

• matts06yzf

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:13 PM

All of the Amsoil MCF I use in a year for two motorcycles (changing each 3 rides or 10 hours. more often in some cases) costs me less than $200. I'm sure I spend more than that on beer.

I spend 200 a week on beer. Time for another

• bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:25 PM

I actually use Hondas HP10w-40. (The closest Yamaha dealer is an hour away so I go to the small Honda shop in our town) It seems to work well.

haha..i do too..and it works great! my shifting is sooo smooooth

• matts06yzf

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:52 PM

BIGWAKE----- I already told you that honda oil makes ya valves go bad duhhhhhh havent you heard haha

• TP161

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:02 PM

Amsoil in my 06 and no problems.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.