Devol Radiotor guards suck!!!

46 replies to this topic
  • jasonmcc

Posted April 16, 2000 - 02:46 AM

I bought a pair of Devol radiator guards 2 week ago and fitted them to my 99' wr400. Today I had a pretty slow soft crash on my bike and the radiator guard got all bent up and the radiator gut pushed back. Whats the go I thought these guards were susposed to protect you radiators.

What a waste of $150.

• paul913

Posted April 16, 2000 - 04:04 PM

Sorry to hear it dude,
I would always recommend the Thumper Racing guards. They are way beefy!

Jake

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 16, 2000 - 10:48 PM

Jake,
Where did you get your Thumper Racing Rad Gaurds? Do you know what distributors carry them? I've looked around on the web. Found info on other TR products but nothing on the gaurds. Thanks.

• paul913

Posted April 17, 2000 - 05:37 AM

MotoBird,
I called Thumper directly so they made the lion's share of the profits:

Thumper Racing - 800-259-5186
604 S. Washington
Marshall, TX 75670

You can also get them from Baja Designs. http://www.bajadesigns.com I'm fairly sure they keep them in stock.

Search for Thumper Racing and you should be able to find a good picture of Bryan's gaurds in a posting about a month ago.

From previous posts, I hear the 98/99 and 2000 models differ, so be sure to clarify.

Jake

• Steve_Morgan

Posted April 17, 2000 - 10:56 AM

I just called Devol to cancel my order, but they talked me into getting the guards anyway. They said they sell 100's per month, with no returns or complaints of damaged radiators. They said the Thumper guards are no more beefier than theirs, and the mounting points are the same. Just wondering if anyone else would care to share their experiences with different radiator guards? :)

• jasonmcc

Posted April 17, 2000 - 01:35 PM

I would like to take a little back about complaining about the devol guards. One of the mounting bolts and nearly fallen out so the guard and radiator were a bit loose.

But still the radiator gaurds are not very solid.

• Clark_Mason

Posted April 17, 2000 - 05:46 PM

My WR has seen the ground several times and the DEVOL guards seem to be doing fine. The WR has faired much better than me in the crash damage department. No bent or damaged radiators yet.

Clark

• Mike

Posted April 17, 2000 - 05:54 PM

always have used works connection myself. never a problem and a lot less money than 150.

Mike

• MotoGreg

Posted April 17, 2000 - 06:36 PM

I had Works Connection and threw them in the trash. They are flimsy and bend any time you even look at the radiators. I have Devol now, they are beefy, they bolt to the frame and the radiator sits inside protected. The Devol guards take a hit and leave the radiator inside fine. The Works guards are bolted to the radiator so any hit is transfered to the radiator and causes damage. Luckily these radiators can be bent back into shape several times without leaking.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• RodH

Posted April 17, 2000 - 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Mike:
always have used works connection myself. never a problem and a lot less money than 150.

Mike

You have to rememeber that Jasonmc is from Aus, and the $150 here is way more than in the US. For instance an IMS tank for a WR400 in Australia will cost over $400, and in the US they are about $185.

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
2000' WR400
E-Series "Randy Hawkins" replica & Tapered header, Renthals, WB fame guards, Devol Rad. guards,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted April 17, 2000 - 10:19 PM

That money thing is true Rod. But the payback to living in OZ is everyone has Aussie accents which are cool plus you guys get to see kangaroos and koala bears all the time!! :) It is a tradeoff.

[/B][/QUOTE]

• RodH

Posted April 18, 2000 - 12:38 AM

Can't rember the last time I can't remember the last time I saw a Koala ?, they are only found in a few areas of Australia, and just to be picky they ar not bears, just Koalas :)

And Kangaroos, boy they are the last thing that you want to see in the bush when you are riding, I know a guy who hit one before Xmas, and he has only just healed up enough now to start riding.

------------------
R o d. H. Canberra, Australia400 Thumpers Australia
2000' WR400
E-Series "Randy Hawkins" replica & Tapered header, Renthals, WB fame guards, Devol Rad. guards,

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted April 18, 2000 - 12:58 AM

The favorite thing to hit here in New Hampshire is a Moose. These things get to 1600 punds. If my unit conversion is correct, that would equal 727.27 kg. I was riding in a heavily wooded area near my house, no trails or anything. When I was brought to an abrupt halt by all the foliage, I had to hop off my bike to turn it around. It was at this time I started thinking about being charged by a moose. They are famous for charging. I spun my bike around and got the hell out of there.

• gbernard

Posted April 18, 2000 - 02:01 AM

Originally posted by jasonmcc:
I bought a pair of Devol radiator guards 2 week ago and fitted them to my 99' wr400. Today I had a pretty slow soft crash on my bike and the radiator guard got all bent up and the radiator gut pushed back. Whats the go I thought these guards were susposed to protect you radiators.

What a waste of $150.

• gbernard

Posted April 18, 2000 - 02:08 AM

I HAVE A SET OF DEVOL RAD GUARDS AND THE ONLY
PROBLEM IS THE MOUNTING BOLTS COME LOOSE IF THEY ARE NOT LOCTITED, BUT I STILL HAVENT BENT ANY RADIATORS YET. GOOD PRODUCT :).

98 WR400,JIMMYS HI RISE BARS,LOWERD FOOT PEGS,B&B BASH PLATE,WORKS FRAME GUARDS,B&B REAR GUARD BRACE.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted April 19, 2000 - 07:07 PM

I just got my Thumper Racing Rad Guards today in the mail, Bryan told me to check them out and I am glad I did, they bolt to the frame and have a brace that raps around the back of the radiator too, which should help side impact. I looked at the Devols on my buddies KTM 380 and they looked ok, but dont have the wrap around brace.

• Pistol_Pete

Posted April 29, 2000 - 02:47 PM

Originally posted by jasonmcc:

What a waste of $150.

• Bruce_in_Phoenix

Posted April 30, 2000 - 08:48 PM

Try Flatland Racing. They make guards that are twice as thick as the Devols and mount using existing radiator mounts. They are just thicker than the rest. Mine will be here this week and I will report on their fit and finish. www.flatlandracing.com i think.

• fershy

Posted August 21, 2000 - 07:46 PM

Bruce, we are still waiting to hear back on these guards damn it! Seriously, I think I am in the market for a set of rad guards after this weeks adventures. Anyone have some pics of these guards and Devols, Thumper Racing for that matter? Milkman how bout you? Haven't seen Bruce post here for a long time so it could be up to you buddy!
fershy

• chillydogg

Posted August 22, 2000 - 11:28 AM

I did some extensive research on this topic a few weeks past and decided to go with the Thumper rad guards. I have a '00 WR400 and am pleased with the ease of installation and quality of the guards. I have only had the pleasure of putting them through the test once and was pleased with the protection they offered. I ordered mine through Baja Designs. Hope this helps.

------------------
Chillydogg / Georgia

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.