WR electrical problem

5 replies to this topic
  • spamrot

Posted August 09, 2007 - 10:09 AM

I have a 2000 Yamaha WR 400 in good shape and the last couple times I went out riding the turn signals and lights would stop working after a few miles and about a mile later the bike will completely shut off. I really dont know whats wrong with it and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Is there a remedy to this?

Thanks for your input.

(I searched TT and read the FAQ and didnt find what I was looking for, but perhaps I missed it. So if I did just send me the link where I can find my fix)

• spamrot

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:00 PM

nobody?

• Mr. Epeen

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:33 PM

you may want to check your ac magneto and pickup coil and lighting coil. you will need a multi meter or ohm meter to test. does it start after it shuts off? have you tested the battery? is it charging properly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailordune

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:44 PM

I have a 2000 Yamaha WR 400 in good shape and the last couple times I went out riding the turn signals and lights would stop working after a few miles and about a mile later the bike will completely shut off. I really dont know whats wrong with it and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Is there a remedy to this?

Thanks for your input.

(I searched TT and read the FAQ and didnt find what I was looking for, but perhaps I missed it. So if I did just send me the link where I can find my fix)

Could be a faulty regulator. Time to break out the volt meter.

• ETP

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:49 PM

If its got a dual sport kit on it, and the lighting load is slightly exceeding the charging capacity, then after a period of time, the battery will run out of reserve juice and the ignition will start to crap out.
This happened to me when I was running too big of a headlight (about 100 watts) on my bike. It ran great for about two hours, then the bike started to die as the battery ran down. I had exceeded the capacity of the charging system.
So you may have a shorted wire or something thats drawing too much, but not enough to cause the bike shut down right away.
Volt meter time.......
Is your bike stock or does it have a DS kit on it?

• saqu

Posted August 13, 2007 - 04:43 AM

2000 WR400F has no battery...
It's better to run 35/35W bulb on headlight rather than 60/55W on this bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.