Easy 600$ Mod to hang with the big dogs

37 replies to this topic
  • bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hmm... something smells bad......... Is that bullshit im smelling?Yup.

..whats crazy about that? he is going pro soon and may get a factory ride..butler bro's racing wants him..whats wrong with the picture?the fact that you don't race or something?..and that smell is probably your computer frying from commenting on too many peoples threads for no reason other than to bother them..just maybe i dont know and really dont care

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:39 PM

Ok here it is, I bought a 2007 YZ 450 and wanted an easy fix to hang with the guys who have sponsors and the money to have 6 bikes, I went to my dealer and talked to the main wrench.

Here is a cheap(er) key to a white knuckle YZF

1. Go get a Pro Circut Ti-4 slip on
2. Get a Sparks racing TPS Bypass (Throttle Position Sensor) for a YFZ 450 quad
3. A Boysen quick shot pump cover
4. The FMF Stage one jet kit, if you live on the East Coast like me, follow the below 3000 ft settings.
5. And throw in a Twin Air Filter

This is a sure way to keep up with those heavy hitters. I noticed a 15 MPH speed increase, way more torque, tons more usable bottom power, and lightning fast throttle response. Snap like a two stroke running lean. Be frigin careful, because this is not a show room floor YZ anymore. TRUST ME!

OK, so you got a spanker fast YZ now, and you hang with the big boys, so what happens when the brutally fast engine now beats the pi$$ out of you physically after 20 min. into your moto, and the heavy hitters stuff you in a corner becuase you are tired from too much motor??? Many pros complain the YZ lacks cornering precision, too much motor will take this illness to an even higher level....
No thanks, I love my bone stock, easy, and FUN to ride YZ450.....

• bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:44 PM

OK, so you got a spanker fast YZ now, and you hang with the big boys, so what happens when the brutally fast engine now beats the pi$$ out of you physically after 20 min. into your moto, and the heavy hitters stuff you in a corner becuase you are tired from too much motor??? Many pros complain the YZ lacks cornering precision, too much motor will take this illness to an even higher level....
No thanks, I love my bone stock, easy, and FUN to ride YZ450.....

right on!! thats exactly what i say!! stock has soo much power as it is!!

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2007 - 07:45 PM

..ya..my friend races down here in florida ...and his bike is runnin 75 hp..

No it isn't. Ron Hamp has spent several years working with Flat Track YZF's, and has built more than one National Championship competitor. He considers it a major achievement to have built one that runs out at 62 HP.

You can't make stuff up around here and get away with it.

• bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:16 PM

No it isn't. Ron Hamp has spent several years working with Flat Track YZF's, and has built more than one National Championship competitor. He considers it a major achievement to have built one that runs out at 62 HP.

well it shows how much i know about bike hp ratings i guess..i totally believed him..maybe he was messin with me..but that other stuff is true..hes sponsored by the local track and a handful of products

• Brokenparts123

Posted August 09, 2007 - 10:35 PM

Alright, this bonehead is sending me messages because i called him on mods he did adding 15 mph, Please someone explain to this fellow how adding horsepower doesn't increase your top speed. The 450 can already reach its top speed quite easily, so its not like your power is pulling untapped gearing.

So Please, QUIT sending me messages, Its Better to look like a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 10, 2007 - 04:47 AM

well it shows how much i know about bike hp ratings i guess..i totally believed him..maybe he was messin with me..but that other stuff is true..hes sponsored by the local track and a handful of products

As a generall rule of thumb a good race exhaust, coupled with an expert level re-jet will yield about 2-3 hp maybe a tad more if the bike was put on a dyno.

A professional port job will yeild about 2-4 (but generally also shifts the peak power curve up higher in the rpm range, making it sometimes harder for novices, and amatuers to reap the true benifits).

That kid running off at the mouth about a 15 hp gain is ridiculous from a "bolt on" standpoint.

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 10, 2007 - 04:51 AM

Oh yea?? I read on a bathroom wall at my local track, you can mix urine and salsa sauce, let it sit in the sun for 2 1/2 hours, add it to your gas and gain 19 hp.....

I tried it, and it worked. Everyone who was behind me during the moto was off the side of the track puking....

• yamasaki

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:16 AM

it's not my bike that needs the mods!!!

you gotta mod my foot to keep my bike in 5th, and my hand to keep the twisty thing on the right fully twistied all the way around the track like the 'big dogs' do! :-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:17 AM

..ya..my friend races down here in florida and his mod bike runs on some kinda crazy weerd fuel that smells like nail polish remover..and his bike is runnin 75 hp..and he even gets beat sometimes..by lesser machines..

75hp....eh? Typo possibly...?

Crazy fuel is probably VP U4.2 or VP MRPRO2:prof:

• Ron Hamp

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:25 AM

I built a 450 for henry wiles a few mounths back for the Peoria hot shoe this year he won with it.This engine had stock valves and porting my cam s and a chm pipe and carb mods it ended up making 58 hp and an incredible 37 pounds of torque the curve matched my mx hondas .Tod Dehoop rode this bike last mounth and sais with the corect suspension it was incredible a definate hole shot winner also .dirt rider magazine tested Clark styles yamaha against Nick weys honda and chose the yamaha for smooth power it had my cams also .these bikes can be made more powerfull and eazyer to ride 58 hp is about the limit if your a strong heavy rider in the pro class .a 450 could aproach 75 crankshaft hp but that would be around 64-65 hp @ the rear wheel.Good things are starting to happen around here with yamahas. With the race results of Henry wiles on the RHC yamaha dirt trackers some eyes have been opened if i can produce the same results as i have with dirt track we will be seeing some yamahas on the podium in the out door nationals thats all i want to say right now .

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:34 AM

I built a 450 for henry wiles a few mounths back for the Peoria hot shoe this year he won with it.This engine had stock valves and porting my cam s and a chm pipe and carb mods it ended up making 58 hp and an incredible 37 pounds of torque the curve matched my mx hondas .Tod Dehoop rode this bike last mounth and sais with the corect suspension it was incredible a definate hole shot winner also .dirt rider magazine tested Clark styles yamaha against Nick weys honda and chose the yamaha for smooth power it had my cams also .these bikes can be made more powerfull and eazyer to ride 58 hp is about the limit if your a strong heavy rider in the pro class .a 450 could aproach 75 crankshaft hp but that would be around 64-65 hp @ the rear wheel.Good things are starting to happen around here with yamahas. With the race results of Henry wiles on the RHC yamaha dirt trackers some eyes have been opened if i can produce the same results as i have with dirt track we will be seeing some yamahas on the podium in the out door nationals thats all i want to say right now .

agreed Ron...we just have to find someone that can hang on at full throttle on one of these beast.....for the length of the moto:thumbsup:

• bigwake

Posted August 10, 2007 - 05:43 AM

As a generall rule of thumb a good race exhaust, coupled with an expert level re-jet will yield about 2-3 hp maybe a tad more if the bike was put on a dyno.

A professional port job will yeild about 2-4 (but generally also shifts the peak power curve up higher in the rpm range, making it sometimes harder for novices, and amatuers to reap the true benifits).

That kid running off at the mouth about a 15 hp gain is ridiculous from a "bolt on" standpoint.

ya..it wasn't from a "bolt on" stand point..and he must have been lying..or he said pushin 65 and i thought he said 75..because this kid is amazing..i went and saw him race one time and i just about $#it my pants watching him woop everyone's ass on the track..but he wrecked at loretta's this yr..so i don't know how this will affect him trying to go pro:crazy: ..but i must have heard him wrong or sumthing..woops

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2007 - 06:25 AM

ya..it wasn't from a "bolt on" stand point..and he must have been lying..or he said pushin 65 and i thought he said 75..

I'd be shocked if his bike was beyond 56 hp. Part of winning is the psychological game, and part of that is, basically, BS. He's building his image as unbeatable.

I don't know if you remember when James Stewart was in the 125 class or not, but to say he was kicking ass there would be to understate comically. He was winning by as much as a minute against great riders on bikes with 2-3 more HP than he had or more, basically never getting a hole shot. In the big MX class, power simply isn't as important as in other moto sports.

• Ron Hamp

Posted August 10, 2007 - 06:27 AM

The bike that won the hole shot in the last 450 4 stroke race and led for 5 laps @ Loretas was my honda we actually took the race gas out and used premium no lead to tone it down to around 56 hp we were watching whartons ktm he was cluthing it in places we wernt .

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2007 - 06:54 AM

Ron, First, let no one misinterpret my remarks here as doubting you or having less than complete respect for your work.

My point is not whether MX 450's in the high 50 HP range exist, only that I doubt the likelihood that an amateur rider has one, or that it would matter that much if he did.

Post a couple of photos of some of your half-mile bikes for us sometime.

• bigwake

Posted August 10, 2007 - 11:54 AM

I'd be shocked if his bike was beyond 56 hp. Part of winning is the psychological game, and part of that is, basically, BS. He's building his image as unbeatable.

I don't know if you remember when James Stewart was in the 125 class or not, but to say he was kicking ass there would be to understate comically. He was winning by as much as a minute against great riders on bikes with 2-3 more HP than he had or more, basically never getting a hole shot. In the big MX class, power simply isn't as important as in other moto sports.

ya..i should ask his dad what it's really at..i am curious now..i'm sure he would know

• pba123

Posted August 11, 2007 - 07:11 PM

Ever read the article in Dirt Rider magazine article about the editor I think it's Jimmy something that raced a 16 year old dude on a 450 and got blown away? The 16 year old beat him in step down intervals in bikes like 450 to a 250 to a 100 all the way to a 80 or something similar. Seat time baby! Along with a little help from genes.

That "16 year old" was actually Ryan Hughes and it was a guy named Karel Kramer, the editor of Dirt Rider mag

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.