Doing cartwheels of joy over the stabilizer!

3 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted August 20, 2000 - 08:34 AM

WOW! what a huge, HUGE difference the stabilizer makes. Worth every penny. In fact, I'm thinking of sending them more money.

Rode with it on Friday afternoon in the woods trails of Rampart CO. It was raining non stop. Drenched head to toe and that was just unloading.

I left it stock settings (9 out from hard) and took off in the mud, puddles and rain. Couldn't ask for better test conditions. Tracked straight and true through every puddle. The biggest thing I noticed was that I should of went down about 10 times because of front wheel washout in the mud. But I never did. The stabilizer prevented total washout and allowed me to recover everytime.

I clicked it up two more hard when I went through the rocky sections and kept my line everytime.

I liked the setting of 45 degree sweep which seemed perfect for the woods. I hit a lot of roots and rain wash ruts but never had the bars ripped out of my hands. While I did have a few slippery encounters with the wet roots, the front end was prevented from totally loosing track.

And I swear this thing saved my life too. I kid you not. I probably was going way too fast for the conditions but I was having too much fun. My goggles were constantly fogged up and blurry from the rain. I came around a corner and ran smack into a tree in a full open 2cd gear. I couldn't see it at all. Surprised the hell out of me. But I hit it square with the front tire and just glanced off it coming to an abrupt stop. I'm convinced the stabilizer prented the bars from being ripped out of my hand and lauching me head first into the tree. Instead, I smoothly glanced to the left. I split my front fender in two and broke my compression lever and everything was bent to the right. But I survived.

I got back to the truck and loosened up the triple clamps and bar mounts and and it all fell back into shape. Good thing too because I just dished it out for the new Scott's triple clamp set up, stabilizer and Pro Tapers.

And I'm not sure if this is in my head or not, but I also swear that the stabilizer allowed me to keep an overall constant proper riding position.

As for the triple clamp setup that moves the front end in 5mm, I noticed a slight difference in turning. I'll have to have more testing to determine if it was worth it. But my top clamps were stripped out so I needed new ones anyway. Decided to get the bottoms also while I was at it.

I really liked the Pro Tapers. A little wide for me and I may have to cut them down a bit. But still, very comfortable. With the Pro Taper and stabilizer setup, I rode all afternoon with very little arm pump. Plus, I was not even close to being exhausted at the end of the ride which was 32 miles in a constant rain.

So, my advice is this. If you are thinking of getting the SSS, do it now. You won't be sorry.

Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 08-20-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 20, 2000 - 06:57 PM

Dougie, You shoulod have come and rode the rainbow trail with us!!!
It never rained in Salida but it was threatning all day.
Bryan, Java (my bud), and I had a really good time. I wish you would have come along.
It rained on us everyday in Leadville. So no rain on friday was heaven sent.
Im glad you like the stabilizer setup I had to ride with out mine this past week and it sucked not having it on.
I will post more about the trip this week when I get more time.

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 20, 2000 - 06:57 PM

ooops sorry, accidently posted twice.

[This message has been edited by milkman2544 (edited 08-20-2000).]

• Dougie

Posted August 21, 2000 - 01:33 AM

That was my join you guys for the Friday ride. But I didn't get my bike setup until mid Friday afternoon. I decided to go ahead and ride in the rain anyway because I was too excited about the stabilizer.

Hope you had a great time out here. Actually, I have never been on the Rainbow Trail in the nine years I've lived here. Next time I guess.

I'm interested to hear where you rode, especially around Leadville.

Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.