yz450F oil leak

9 replies to this topic
  • lvmxer465

Posted August 08, 2007 - 08:06 PM

In about 5 hours of riding my bike lost 250cc's oil. No cracks in cases no visible oil leaks. Anyone have any ideas?

• bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:35 AM

maybe its burning somehow?

• bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:36 AM

and..how do you know it did that?..did you like check the oil at the neck of the frame?..because unless its hot you won't get a reading..?

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:04 AM

What year is your 450?

Be sure that you check the oil only after the engine has been run for at least 90 seconds, then wait 30 and check at the dipstick. Otherwise, the oil level reading will be subject to error.

• lvmxer465

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:58 PM

the bike is a 2006. I checked the oil by measuring how much came out of the bike. I figure if the manual calls for 1000cc's for an oil change then 1000cc's should come out, or atleast something closer then 750cc's

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skidooboy

Posted August 09, 2007 - 02:52 PM

did you drain the oil from both 12mm drain bolts? there is one on the lower right on bottom of case. and one on the lower left directly below the oil fill cap on the bottom of the stator area. you'll see the brass washer under them. also the 4 strokes do push oil out of the crank vent hose and if you run alot of high speed high rev stuff in magnifies the issue. check your oil before and after riding. mine pushes alot of oil due to being in supermoto trim and alot of high rev riding. ski

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:50 PM

the bike is a 2006. I checked the oil by measuring how much came out of the bike. I figure if the manual calls for 1000cc's for an oil change then 1000cc's should come out, or atleast something closer then 750cc's

Notwithstanding the advice on draining both the oil "tank" and the sump, as required, there's only one way to measure oil consumption accurately. That is to check the oil level when it's first filled to establish a reference, then run it, and measure the amount of oil required to restore it to that level, if any.

• skidooboy

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:17 PM

also, the paper filter will hold several cc's of oil. ski

• blue9red9

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:20 PM

I never get 5 quarts out of my truck when I drain it yet it checks full and I add 5 quarts. Same theory. Everything's ok if it checks full.

• bigwake

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:43 PM

ya..just follow the manual..i think on my 03 there were 4 bolts to pull to drain..and not TOO much oil came out..som is in the engine i guess

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.