How To Get The 2007 Yz450 To Turn?

18 replies to this topic
  • Hurricane27

Posted August 08, 2007 - 07:45 PM

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTIONS FOR ADJUSTMENTS I CAN MAKE TO THE SUSPENSION TO GET THIS BIKE TO LAYOVER IN THE CORNERS? i FEEL LIKE i HAVE TO FIGHT IT CONSTANTLY CORNERING. i HAVE RAISED THE FORKS IN THE CLAMPS, I ALSO FOUND SOME IMPROVEMENT WHEN I SWITCHED TO RG3 TRIPLE CLAMPS TOP AND BOTTOM OFFSET.

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2007 - 08:04 PM

My first suggestion is to turn your Caps Lock off.

• tommyj

Posted August 08, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Then the next suggestion would be to search the 2 million other threads on this subject...:applause:

• Gerry B

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:01 AM

There is an article about this in the latest MX action magazine.

• CRF250X Rider

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:22 AM

I concur

• Hurricane27

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:26 AM

well geniuses thanks for the great info.

• djtroy

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:14 AM

With 5 posts were just trying to teach the noobies how to use messsage boards.

• Yamkifour

Posted August 09, 2007 - 06:38 AM

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTIONS FOR ADJUSTMENTS I CAN MAKE TO THE SUSPENSION TO GET THIS BIKE TO LAYOVER IN THE CORNERS? i FEEL LIKE i HAVE TO FIGHT IT CONSTANTLY CORNERING. i HAVE RAISED THE FORKS IN THE CLAMPS, I ALSO FOUND SOME IMPROVEMENT WHEN I SWITCHED TO RG3 TRIPLE CLAMPS TOP AND BOTTOM OFFSET.

This bike lays over very easy. I found it really likes to have rider sit in the seat pocket though. If you sit up front close to fuel tank it doesent handle well at all IMHO. I call it Robbie Reynard Style. I have no problem laying over recorrecting and laying over again. Im runnen forks up 5-6mm and 95mm of sag. Also if it feels like its gona push I lay over more and roll on more gas. P.S I have about 4 rides on this bike and like it alot. I have been on a 250F since 01. This 2007 handles better and turns better than any of them. Hearing all this talk about turning issues is bursting my new bike bubble:cry:

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2007 - 07:37 AM

My biggest problem with helping you with this is that I have no way of relating to your problem. Not one of the '06/'07 models I've ridden has acted like that. My '03 does, though, and moving from that bike to the '06, my impression is that the bike will do anything I want it to, almost as if it wants to do it. It also almost never surprises me.

It is, however, very sensitive to set up, and to rider position and style. So, given what you've said, I'd suggest trying a taller set of bars and learn how to ride it. It's a machine; it won't learn how you want to ride. It has to work the other way around.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:03 AM

With a response like this I'll bet that you lost some valuable input from other experienced members here at T.T. I won't say anymore more!

• Yamkifour

Posted August 09, 2007 - 09:39 AM

With a response like this I'll bet that you lost some valuable input from other experienced members here at T.T. I won't say anymore more!

Yes very valuable responces like the one above from Yz400Flyer

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted August 09, 2007 - 10:28 AM

With any new (and especially the older 4-strokes like the 426) you have got to shift your weight to the front-on the tank and be agressive on the cornering. My experience is that the bike just isn't going to corner well without a weight shift and some strong rear-wheel drive. Without both, there is a strong tendancy to push due to the extra weight of the motor and position in the frame as compared to a 2-stroke.

Just my .02

- RCD

• Ga426owner

Posted August 09, 2007 - 10:37 AM

Lay over in corners.....Are you a former RM/RMZ rider just out of curiousity?

The 07 to some riders has issues with the front tire coming out.....as mentioned... enough of them that MXA did a test in this months mag on this topic. They tested every clamp offset and came to the conclusion the 24mm is the best all around one.....but that even with this offset the bike still is not a corner eating monster...

GreyRacer is also right as us that came off of 03-05 yami find the 06-07 so much better at cornering that it is not a big an issue as some make it..

• Wiz636

Posted August 09, 2007 - 11:01 AM

In addition to raising the forks, setting the sag a bit higher, 24mm offset clamps, etc., etc., try a Michelin S-12 front tire. Makes a 756 feel like a slick.

• KYMXRacer

Posted August 09, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Have you tried setting the sag for your weight?

Or considered it could be technique failure on your part? The 07 YZ450F will corner!

• yamaha6j

Posted August 09, 2007 - 11:32 AM

I would say play with your clickers. If you get your suspension nice and plush it will not want to knife out of a turn. Keeping the rebound nice and slow is the best !!!

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2007 - 12:47 PM

Keeping the rebound nice and slow is the best !!!

Jeremy Wilkey at MX-Tech disagrees:

The rebound damping is responsible for the stability and the cornering characteristics of the motorcycle.
1) Find a short sweeper. When the forks compress for the turn, the speed at which the forks return is the energy that pushes your front wheel into the ground. If the forks rebound too quickly, the energy will be used up and the bike will drift wide, or wash. If the rebound is too slow, the bike will tuck under and turn too soon to the inside. Find the appropriate balance for each track.
2). With the bike turning well, the wheel should return to the ground quickly yet not deflect off berms or bounce off jumps.

...and for what it's worth, so do I.

• Justin89

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:42 PM

1. Sit closer on the tank
2. 742FA front tire
3. 24m clamps
4. Sag
5. Ride more:thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:32 PM

1. Sit closer on the tank
2. 742FA front tire
3. 24m clamps
4. Sag
5. Ride more:thumbsup:

Justin89 and I are both making front tire recommendations and we don't even know what kind of terrain he's riding on....:crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.