I Like It Loud!? Which Is LOUDEST?

18 replies to this topic
  • BlueHondaEater

Posted August 17, 2000 - 07:51 PM

I'm thinking of getting an after market pipe for my 00 WR400F I would like the loudest throaty sounding exhaust. Is my stock pipe with the baffle removed already the loudest?
Thanks for any replies :)

• So_Cal_Erik

Posted August 17, 2000 - 08:41 PM

Try the Pro circuit with large end cap.
Also, the DSP full race is pretty loud too.

------------------
So Cal Erik
Visit my club's site at <A HREF="http://www.ruts.org
" TARGET=_blank>www.ruts.org
</A>

• Bill

Posted August 18, 2000 - 02:23 AM

My buddy rides a YZ400 with the stock exhaust, mine (WR) is louder. I run the White Bros E-series and tapered header pipe with 12 discs. I like it loud also but this is the limit for me. You can go up to 15 discs and it'll be even louder. Good performance all the way thru the rev range and best of all ne header removal when changing the oil filter.

However if I had it all to do over. I would buy the YZ seat and tank first. Just my two cents and you may give me change.

Later
Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Gary_Kessler

Posted August 18, 2000 - 05:59 AM

I just put on a DSP stainless steel pipe. It's DEFINATELY loud. Set's off my car alarm. It's about the same Db's as the White Bros E-Series, but a bit deeper sounding. . . .adds a nice punch in the midrange too! :)

------------------
'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system, UNI air, Dunlop D756, ProTapers, Devol Rad Guards, P-38, Mason/Dean Jetting specs. . .and lovin' it!

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 18, 2000 - 06:17 AM

Why don't you just get rid of the silencer all together? :)

I hope you are riding on the track. I hate to say it however; noise is one of the reasons the environazis hate bikes.

Sorry to preach however; in So. Cal, we are in serious danger of losing our rights to ride.

• Hick

Posted August 18, 2000 - 06:44 AM

In the Dirt Bike pipe shootout (June or July issue?) most of the aftermarkets were about the same on the Decibel meter (104 Db I think), two Dbs louder than stock except for the Hawkins. I think they mentioned that the SuperTrapp was pretty loud but they hated how it ran.

I have a PC T4 on my 426. Yes it is noticeably louder than stock. I pretend not to care but secretly I like the extra 2 Db :)

And to hell with the environmentalists...

But I'm sure my neighbors are saying "to hell with that hick and that gawdawfully loud blue/white motor-bike!"

Not to gloat but I can ride from my back door and do a 75 mile loop, all dez, no pavement, just a mile or so of Rio Grande levee each way where I test my rev limiter and the tolerance of my neighbors :D

Maybe they should get together and buy me a White Bro.s Hawkins silencer.

Actually, ever since I let a friend take it for a spin and heard how AMAZINGLY loud it was from a bystander's point of view I quit playin' Doug Henry down my driveway. Now I putt meekly down the levee until I'm away from the 'hood. Usually. Almost always. More often than not. Well, next time for sure then :D

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 08-18-2000).]

• ScottyR

Posted August 18, 2000 - 07:01 AM

A buddy of mine has a DSP and it really loud!! So loud it is annoying to ride with him!!

• CHRIS_L

Posted August 18, 2000 - 10:19 AM

Scotty is wright my bike is loud of course he allways behind me thants why it annoying

• ScottyR

Posted August 18, 2000 - 11:17 AM

Nice spelling Chris!! I just let you lead so you dont get all whiny about not being able to keep up with me!! If I led, all that I would hear is the excuses why you couldnt keep up with me on that noisemaker. Jetting too fat, suspension not set properly, the air in my tires needs to be changed... the list goes on and on!! Well, did you get the new bike or what?!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gary_Kessler

Posted August 18, 2000 - 11:48 AM

Bryan B.- I hear ya (not really, I can't hear because of my new DSP :)) about the noise. Here in NM, noise isn't an issue and it actually keeps me from getting run over! I suspect it'll become an issue soon though.

I've been thinking about getting some of the Silent Sport Packing and trying it out. Anybody try this stuff? http://www.silentsport.com

------------------
'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system, UNI air, Dunlop D756, ProTapers, Devol Rad Guards, P-38, Mason/Dean Jetting specs. . .and earplugs!

[This message has been edited by Gary Kessler (edited 08-18-2000).]

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted August 18, 2000 - 02:53 PM

This post inspired me to do something bad.

I pulled the end cap off my DSP, removed everything I could from the can, and went for a hot lap around the block (I live in a residential neighborhood in Huntington Beach). Car alarms went off, dogs barked, people were standing in the street wondering what that was that blasted by.

It was fun! Thanks guys for getting me thinking about LOUD! Now I gotta put it back together…

• Clark_Mason

Posted August 18, 2000 - 03:21 PM

George Earl of Uptite Husquvarna makes excellent and very loud reverse cone megaphone exhaust systems. I beleive his system made the most HP when tested last year on the YZ 400's.

Clark

• BlueHondaEater

Posted August 18, 2000 - 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Ron in SoCal:
This post inspired me to do something bad.

I pulled the end cap off my DSP, removed everything I could from the can, and went for a hot lap around the block (I live in a residential neighborhood in Huntington Beach). Car alarms went off, dogs barked, people were standing in the street wondering what that was that blasted by.

It was fun! Thanks guys for getting me thinking about LOUD! Now I gotta put it back together…

That is cool! I think I'll get the DSP or White Bros E-series. How much stuff did you pull out of the DSP to make it that loud and is there a spark arrester?

• BlueHondaEater

Posted August 18, 2000 - 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Bryan Bosch:
Why don't you just get rid of the silencer all together? :)

I hope you are riding on the track. I hate to say it however; noise is one of the reasons the environazis hate bikes.

Sorry to preach however; in So. Cal, we are in serious danger of losing our rights to ride.

Whoa! I never thought of that maybe I will! But how would I go about making a spark arrester that fits to the header and how would I ride without blowing my leg off?

• MotoGreg

Posted August 18, 2000 - 09:11 PM

I have the DSP and I thought it was loud until I heard Erik's T4 with big end cap, that was WAY louder than mine.

Also, what Clark said about the reverse megaphone making the most HP is probably the truth, I know they can make a lot of power on Ducati's.

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity
'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)
I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 18, 2000 - 10:53 PM

Thank's guys! The more of the general public you goofballs piss off the sooner we can close off all public land to you guys permanently! In fact, the Sierra club is currently purchasing a small exhaust pipe manufacturer with the idea to research how to make the loudest pipe possible and sell them to you for $50 apiece (their cost) oh, they make good horsepower and are buffed stainless! This is like rolling downhill!Thanks for the help!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 19, 2000 - 06:47 AM

Get real guys.

For now Big Al and slick Willie make you feel guilty for running a loud pipe. They and their Sierra Club cronies make you think that is the only problem.

This is just one step on the Democratic train.

If everyone that rode dirt bikes (I ride enduros in Texas between campain gigs) trashed their loud pipe today and got mufflers as quiet as the stock WR or DRZ pipe, then tomorrow they'd rip on your for something else. Tomorrow the problem would turn into your knobbie tires, or your excessive speed, or your loud colored clothing, etc. etc. etc.

Don't you get it? The nature natzies want ALL non-primitive travel banned from ALL areas and this is only a stepping stone.

By the way, once they get their way, I'll bet they go to town on horses. You know, those big stinky beasts that rip up the trails and are part of the 'primitie travel' definition.

Doesn't their agendy seem clear? It's the same with gun control. First Automatic weapons, next AK-47 type assault riffles, then reducing the clip size of semi-automatics. Now it's closing all loop-holes where mostly law abiding citizens can buy guns.

Next it'll be semi-automatic hand guns, then after that: hand guns in general.

Finally they'll start working on rifles.

It's all funny to me since I own a hand gun and have never once even CONSIDERED blasting away my enemies, friends or neighbors. Could it possibly NOT be the guns fault? Hmmmmmmm (DUH!)

It's their way. Don't support them what ever you do and no matter how much of a moron you think I am.

Georgie from TX :)

• Bryan Bosch

Posted August 19, 2000 - 08:25 AM

George, it is pretty easy to point out the obvious. It is much hard to come up with a solution. I guaranty that and "all or nothing" attitude isn't going to get us anywhere. I know the environmental right is relentless however; driving a stake between the two groups means win or lose. I hate to say it however; I'm not sure were going to win. I'd rather find a way to give a little than lose it all. I understand that going to a quieter silencer isn't the end-all be-all of solutions however; it is technically possible (FMF Powerbomb & Stroker SX-1) to enjoy riding with a quieter bike and It does give us some ammo to say were doing what we can. As long as we are seen as "hicks", "country bumkins", and tattoo wearing punks, with no responsibilities, we'll continue to lose. I don't know the solution to our problem. I do know that I'll get a lot farther with my senator if I'm perceieved as hard working, responsible, and willing to work toward a viable compromise. We might as well learn to live with the fact that there will be compromise if we are going to continue to ride. I can't live with the alternative.

• TW

Posted August 20, 2000 - 05:56 AM

I will also point out that it's not just the "green extremist" loud bikes piss off or anoy. It's also people we need on our side like hunters and fishermen and the general public who use public area's to camp or picnic. When your not heard your not seen is what it basically comes down to, and the attitude of we can do anything we want doesn't fly, never has never will.

------------------
99 WR400
BRC
NOHVA
AMA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.