over heating

2 replies to this topic
  • ktm868

Posted August 08, 2007 - 06:04 PM

my friend is looking at buying a yz450 and he is thinking about not buying it bec of overheating problems? is it true the bike is stock besides a pipe. and he rides open mt. trails and some time tight sections

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SX89

Posted August 08, 2007 - 06:19 PM

no its not true..
although it could boil over on very slow rides or idleing but that is true for all 4-strokes.. our local pro has no problems with overheating on his stock YZ450f and he is on the limiter all the time (he also hasn't had any reliability problems, and he has made the mains at the pro races on TV. SX & MX if that tells you anything about the abuse the bike goes thru)

just tell your friend not to let the bike sit and idle (all 4-strokes will over heat that way) and to keep the coolant at a 50/50 mix (water will keep the engine from getting hot so quick b/c it absorbs heat better then antifreeze

• NorCal

Posted August 08, 2007 - 07:10 PM

I ride with guys with CRF450's, and they overheat way before I do. In fact, I have put 80 hard hours of tight/technical single track, and I haven't had one boil over. Yamahas are solid.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.