Tanks- Clarke or IMS

39 replies to this topic
  • Clark_Mason

Posted August 13, 2000 - 09:58 PM

I ran the Ty Davis tank today and it was outstanding. This thing is narrow and lowers the CG making handling much improved over the IMS setup.

One interference problem to report the Ty Tank interfers with the DSP CF air box on the left side. The two products are not compatible since the tank will wear a hole in the box between the filter and the CARby. I will have to get a DSP box only and run the stock rubber air boot.

So My well used Complete DSP CF air box is for sale. E-mail me for details cause the tank is goning to stay as the handling far over shadows the maybe one horsepower the increased DSP air box dead zone provided by the CF boot.

Clark

• Vincent

Posted August 14, 2000 - 01:07 PM

Say Clark,

What did that tank set you back pricewise? Is there a web site that you can order it from or at least see what it looks like??

• Clark_Mason

Posted August 14, 2000 - 05:35 PM

Vincent,

Have not found a picture of it anywhere on the web. I took some photos of it but I managed to come down with the f%$k#ng flu and have not got out of the house yet to get them developed. I will eventually get them scaned in a try to post them.

The tank retails for $229US. I got a killer deal on it and really cannot post my purchase price here.

The tank can be purchased from Ty Davis or through Montclair Yamaha 1-800-RIDEYAM, talk with Dusty in parts mention Ty's tank and me and he will know exactly what you are talking about. To get Ty call Terry Cable in Hisperia (Ty's parents run Terry Cable) and they can give you Ty's number. Tank comes in clear, white or blue. My pervious IMS tank was clear so I went with Blue for a change of pace on my WZ 420. :)

Clark

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 15, 2000 - 08:07 AM

Less than a month ago I bought an IMS 4.0 gal natural tank for my 2000 WR. The petcock is on the correct (left) side. Perhaps IMS heard all the complaints and fixed it. The only problem I had with this tank is the right side radiator shroud lower-most mounting hole was about 1/8 inch off from lining up properly.

I've owned lots of IMS natural color tanks over the years and the one consistant problem with them has been the yellowing effect of gasoline fumes. The way I have found to substantially slow that process is to drain or siphon the gas from the tank after your ride. It's worked great for me.

• ben

Posted August 15, 2000 - 08:35 AM

I saw a tank on a YZ/WR400 recently in one of the mags Dirt Bike/Rider. It sounds very similar. It looked exactly like a yz tank on top but with extra capacity carried low down, and a shaped kick start lever indentation, it was by a company called Pirie I think. I'll check tonight.

• ben

Posted August 15, 2000 - 08:36 AM

I saw a tank on a YZ/WR400 recently in one of the mags Dirt Bike/Rider. It sounds very similar. It looked exactly like a yz tank on top but with extra capacity carried low down, and a shaped kick start lever indentation, it was by a company called Pirie I think. I'll check tonight.

• ben

Posted August 15, 2000 - 08:40 AM

• ben

Posted August 15, 2000 - 08:42 AM

What the F*** is going on.....Quick I'm bailing out it's out'a' control...

• Dougie

Posted August 15, 2000 - 08:45 AM

Clark,

Does your header pipe come closer to the tank if it sits so low? If it does, does it heat up the tank more than it does the IMS tank?

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• Taffy

Posted August 15, 2000 - 12:33 PM

clark,

i'm not worried if i lose a half gallon capacity; what i would really like is a lower tank that you can slide even further forward with. so how low & how far forward can you go with this tank?

by the way folks i have a clarke tank & ceet fitted & love it. no problems. my mates ceet sits a little higher above the back of the tank which leaves clear daylight through the bike, the ceet has, at the same time, three ripples in it.

none of this is the tanks fault though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted August 15, 2000 - 05:05 PM

Dougie

Yes the tank is closer to the header and it probably would get some heating on that side. The tank is even lower on the other side so the fuel maybe cooler over there? My IMS tank and this tank both get warm from the engine, etc. You must not run a check valve in your gas cap breather or you will be pissing gas on the ground out the carburetor overflow due to gas tank presserization. Just ask Scott Hoge as on our last ride by the time Scott got throught floging up the rockey section just before the Sherman Pass overlook, stopped at the overlook and his 98 WR was pissing like a cow on a flat rock I pointed it out to him and out came the knife and no more check valve and no more pissing. Scott was a happier camper.

Clark

• Clark_Mason

Posted August 17, 2000 - 08:15 PM

A few of the pictures i took of the Ty Tank installed on my WZ 420 are here:

http://albums.photop...69560&a=7940255

Clark

• ray_lebreton

Posted August 17, 2000 - 08:47 PM

does anybody else who owns an aftermarket seat/tank have a scanner if so i think it whould be great if we had a couple of different companys pics to choose from

• Vincent

Posted August 18, 2000 - 04:22 AM

Wow Clark...that is one skinny tank! Are the Clarkes that skinny too? Ive never really seen an above view of the Clarke. My purchase is definitely gonna be between these two. The only thing that doesnt appeal to me with this one is it hangs soooooo low on the left side. I suppose it would grow on me...just a matter of getting used to it.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 18, 2000 - 03:45 PM

Clark:

Whats with the lump poking out by the airbox on the left hand side?

Was it a 2nd or are they all like that??

Thats the only thing that'll stop me buying one.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• Clark_Mason

Posted August 18, 2000 - 07:20 PM

Matt:

When using the complete DSP Carbon Fiber air box the front carbon fiber section of the air box is MUCH BIGGER than the stock rubber boot. The DSP box interfers with the Ty Davis tank right where you are looking at it thats why I circled it in the pictures. I did not notice the interference when I mounted the tank but when I went riding and stood up it hit me right in the calf. So I checked it out when I got home and realized what was happening.

The tank fits perfectly with the stock air box and is not pushed out like that. I have since made a cutout in the DSP Air box and fiber glassed over the cut out making a indendation in the CF air boot and now the tank fits perfectly with my DSP box mounted. This was very detailed work but it came out great.

Hope this is making sense to you look closely at the pictures and you will see the interference and its due to the DSP CF boot coming from the air box.

Clark

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 19, 2000 - 05:01 PM

Clark:
What about gas getting warm?
GAs temp makes a big differenc n performace..
Wondering if using that heat tape and lining the whole bottom of the tank would help.

BTW what capicity is it? (in litres preferably! :) )

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted August 19, 2000 - 05:37 PM

Matt,
There are 3.79 litres per gallon.

Kevin

• Clark_Mason

Posted August 19, 2000 - 06:01 PM

Matt

Come back to earth its a great tank; it's slim it holds alot it carries its weight low and Ty Davis races with it, if heating is not a problem for him I doubt seriously if it is a problem for you. So far the tank works great for me. But its only been between 80 and 105 degrees here in So. Cal.

Matt buy the tank

Clark

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 19, 2000 - 11:54 PM

I presume Ty uses the stock airbox...

Tank won't be for me as my bike is going to be sold.. info for customers.

Matt buy the tank

Don't pressure me man!
I don't know if I can handle it..
I may flip out and go on a mad killing spree.. then you'd feel bad! :)

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.