Hey Clark I'm curious...

1 reply to this topic
  • Wilbot

Posted August 18, 2000 - 09:02 PM

I was reading some previous posts on your exhaust testing and you mentioned that you’ve been sound checked several times in the past. I was curious as to where you were riding when you were checked and how the test was conducted. I have access to a decibel meter and an inductive-pickup tach and was curious as to what my stock pipe with Stroker quiet tip is putting out. Even with the Stroker tip I’m sure that I would be packing my bags for the day if I was checked but I’m wondering just how “unacceptable” my setup is. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted August 18, 2000 - 03:15 PM

The testers hold there dB meter 15" (it may be 19")at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust tip out to the side. They have a piece of string or cord cut to the 15" lenght to space the meter microhone. They have a look up table for all motorcycles that tells them at what RPM to measure. They use a vibration sensative TACH set up, they set the Vibration sensitve TACH to the desired RPM hold it against the side of the tank rev the motor keep an eye on the protroding mass from the Vibration sensative tach device and when it stabilizes they take their reading. Where I ride they are looking for 99dB or less but will pass you up to 101db do to probable inaccuracies, if you are not acting like a jerk.

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 08-18-2000).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.