Just how much work is this? (mechanics)

13 replies to this topic
  • B-Rock

Posted August 08, 2007 - 12:24 PM

Ok, I guess this question is directed at professional mechanics (self-claimed professionals included).

Below is my maintenence checklist of things that still need to be done to my bike ('05 WR450). :banghead:

What I am wondering, is how long each of the items is going to take? :excuseme:

I am a weak wrench at best, so I will be taking my bike into the shop for most of the work. Why I would like to know how long this stuff takes, is that I need to start saving my pennies, and I would like an estimate of how much it's going to cost me, :eek: and how much time I have to be without my baby.

Oh, and if you could please give the time estimates in minutes or hours, and not in beers. :worthy: :)

Thanks in advance :ride:

1) Inspect and adjust valve clearance
2) Inspect valve springs/lifters
3) Inspect camshaft and camshaft sprockets
4) Inspect and clean piston
5) Inspect piston ring and piston pin
6) Inspect and clean cylinder head and replace cylinder gasket
7) Inspect cylinder
8) Inspect clutch and perform $0.79 fix
9) Inspect transmission and bearing
10) Inspect shift fork, shift cam and guide bar
11) Retighten rotor nut
12) Inspect and clean spark arrester
13) Inspect and clean crank
14) Inspect and clean carburetor
15) Install JD jetting kit
16) Inspect, clean and replace spark plug
17) Inspect drive chain guard, rollers and stopper
18) Replace, lube and adjust drive chain
19) Inspect and flush cooling system
20) Inspect and retighten outside torque points
21) Clean frame oil strainer
22) Inspect brakes (retighten brake disc bolts, caliper bolts, master cylinder bolts and union bolts)
23) Replace brake pads and fluid
24) Inspect and adjust front forks and replace oil
25) Clean and grease front fork oil seal and dust seal
26) Inspect, grease and retighten rear shock absorber
27) Inspect, grease and retighten swingarm
28) Inspect, grease and retighten relay arm and connecting rod
29) Inspect, clean, grease and retighten steering head
30) Inspect steering head bearings
31) Inspect, retighten and grease wheel bearings and sprocket bolt

• BIG HAL

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:16 AM

How much time do you have on it? Do you ride it hard? if you take it to the shop your lookin at around 200.00

• bhiggins25

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:24 AM

For the love of everything that is holy, DO NOT take that list and your bike into the shop. The fleecing you will receive will make Enron shareholders look upon you with pity.

Instead of saving every last hard-earned penny to have each and every one of these items done, do some homework with the search feature on this site and open up your owner's manual. You can check a number of items off of your list by learning how to inspect your own chain, spark plug, spark arrestor, brake pads, etc. Also, you can determine how likely your bike is to need a valve adjustment or top end by performing some simple checks.

Assuming this bike is a typical '05 in terms of hours and pace ridden, I would bet that the only 'must-do' items on this list are a valve inspection, JD jetting install, and greasing your linkage.

Much of this seems either easy to do yourself with basic tools (spark plug and brake pad replacement, chain adjustment) or unnessecary (cooling flush, complete tranny inspection).

In my opinion, the last thing you want to do is give the shop carte blanche to go tearing into your bike to charge you hourly rates for inspection and cleaning.

Ben

• bhiggins25

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:28 AM

How much time do you have on it? Do you ride it hard? if you take it to the shop your lookin at around 200.00

$200.00? Maybe I need to move to Texas. Around here I couldn't find a shop that would inspect and adjust my valves, and mount two tires for $200.00. Just eyeballing that list, I find it hard to believe he would get out of the shop for under $600.00, at least.

I found the rates around here a powerful incentive to learn to do things myself.

• B-Rock

Posted August 09, 2007 - 12:34 PM

hey bhiggins25, thanks for the honest reply. :thumbsup:

I was hoping someone was going to give me a hard time and a virtual kick in the ass for not attempting some of that list myself.

My big hestation with doing it myself, is that it is my only mode of transportation and I need it to get to work. So, if I pull something apart and realize I cant put it back together for some reason, I am screwed!! Another reason is that I dont have a garage (I live in an apartment), so i dont really have any comfortable working space. Excuses, excuses I know!

That aside, what about the THREE key ones, (valve clearance, jetting and swingarm). I know that jetting is more frustrating then labor intensive, but the swing arm linkage looks like a friggin mission on the FAQ.

How long do you think those 3 would take to complete?

Thanks again for your input :ride:

• bhiggins25

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:28 PM

Much of course will depend on the specific shop you take your bike.

Here's my best guess...

Greasing linkage - 2 hours at $70.00 per hour = $140.00. Add $70.00 for the swingarm bearings and $30.00 for the shock bearings if they need to be replaced.

Jetting - 1 hour at $70.00 per hour. Add $70.00 for the JD jetting kit if you're going to go that route.

Checking valves - Many shops charge an hour to check and then another hour if they need to be adjusted, so $140.00 plus the cost of the shims would be the maximum.

Again, that's my guess based on what the shops around me would likely charge. Others may have insight as to what they have actually been charged in thier area. You should talk to shops in your area about thier labor rates and estimated time of completion for these jobs before you take your bike to them.

Ben

• WGP

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:41 PM

It depends on how fast you work.....

I would say for a first timer you'll need a full weekend (about 5-15 hours)

This is what i do about every 6 months:

Take your bike for a sweet mud ride:busted: :busted: :ride:

Wash her up good, pull everything off the bike and clean, plastics, shrouds, tank ect...
Change Oil, Air filter, Oil Filter
Pull front and rear tire, clean and inspect..
Pull swingarm, clean and inspect
Pull subframe, with airbox clean and inspect
Pull carb, clean and inspect, rejet??
Check valve clearances (if there out of spec you'll have to find the correct shims, may take a couple days?)
Pull front forks and steering stem and lube it up.
Put it back together greasing the rear linkage as you go.

Thats as far as I go if the bike is running strong...if not you may want to dig deeper:excuseme:

Some other good things to do at the same time are:
Lube throttle cables, clutch cables, replace grips, replace chain and front and rear sprockets, change the brake fluid using a suction device, repalce brake pads, change the coolant to Engine Ice and probably some other things I'm forgetting :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PROWLER 58

Posted August 09, 2007 - 02:55 PM

If your gonna pay a shop to do all that, you might as well sell and buy new ever year. bob

• Motoequip

Posted August 09, 2007 - 04:32 PM

I went to the local yamaha dealer today and they charge $85.00hr. I asked about putting the ais removal kit and jetting the bike and he said around $100.00.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 10, 2007 - 07:59 AM

Your list is pretty extense. Where did you get it, from the yamaha manual?

You have an 05. Unless its been abused, which is hard to do, you probably mainly need to do the following

1) Inspect and adjust valve clearance
2) Inspect valve springs/lifters
3) Inspect camshaft and camshaft sprockets
8) Inspect clutch and perform $0.79 fix
14) Inspect and clean carburetor
15) Install JD jetting kit
16) Inspect, clean and replace spark plug
17) Inspect drive chain guard, rollers and stopper
18) Replace, lube and adjust drive chain
19) Inspect and flush cooling system
20) Inspect and retighten outside torque points
21) Clean frame oil strainer
22) Inspect brakes (retighten brake disc bolts, caliper bolts, master cylinder bolts and union bolts)
23) Replace brake pads and fluid
29) Inspect, clean, grease and retighten steering head
31) Inspect, retighten and grease wheel bearings and sprocket bolt

I removed everything from your list which would require that you tear into the motor. Its an 05 and probably doesn't need it.

these other things is a weekend long job at most, even for a weak wrench. Get the motopower video's to watch exactly how its done. You'll have no problem doing the basic maintenance.

The only other thing i would do is to take the suspension stuff to a professional and have them service it. If you remove your forks and shock yourself (save $200), it will be cheaper.

• Darkstang

Posted August 11, 2007 - 08:23 AM

I did my valves myself at a very liesurely pace in 2 hours. CLEAN your bike REALLY good and it makes things easier. The swingarms are real easy. Just be sure and have the bike on a good clean floor as the swingarm bearings are real easily dropped and then you have to get new needles if you loose some.
The AIS was 30 minutes. I used parts I made myself to block off the passages.

The Zyp Ty fuel screw was about 30-45 minutes.
O-ring mod was 30 min.

Just tackle small things first and then move up as you get comfortable.

• Martys

Posted August 11, 2007 - 02:08 PM

Check out http://www.motopowervideo.com. You'll see how hard the job is and how to do it right.

• B-Rock

Posted August 13, 2007 - 06:41 AM

Thanks again to everyone for the sound advice.

If everyone was as nice on the trails as you guys are here on TT, then the world would be a better place.
:ride: :ride:

Thanks for the motopowervideo link too!.... I have never seen that site.

• Martys

Posted August 26, 2007 - 08:03 PM

BTW, the Yamaha Top End DVD from Motopower was released recently. It shows you how to disassemble, inspect and reassemble the top end.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.