06 WR450 overheating

I do a lot of slow technical riding. single track up hill in rocks etc. My bike tends to boil in the slow going. Its fine, once I get it in second gear and moving. Can any thing be done to help. I've rejetted to a slightly richer mixture, and put Engine Ice in it. Is a radiator fan a viable option?

• 3 months later...

Okay. The other day, because I hadnt ran my bike for about 3 months, I was running my bike in idle for about 15 minutes. When I came back outside to check my bike, coolant was coming out from one of those tubes underneath the bike and coolant in the coolant tank underneath the rear fender was like boiling or bubbling. about an hour after I shut my bike off I looked at the coolant reservoir and it was empty. Is anything wrong with my bike or is this supposed to happen because my bike was overheating?

I was running my bike in idle for about 15 minutes.

Don't do that mang! That's a great way to trash your engine! There isn't anyway for the bike to cool by doing that.

Your radiators couldn't keep the coolant cool enough to prevent it from boiling, which it did, and like a pot boiling over the coolant boiled out through the "over-pressure relief valve" (radiator cap) and into the overflow tank.

Then when everything cooled down, a partial vacuum was created and sucked the coolant back into the radiators and engine. Check your coolant level as some of it may have lost to evaporation through the overflow tank vent line.

If, for some reason, you need to leave the bike idling like that put a fan, on high, in front of the radiators.

I do a lot of slow technical riding. single track up hill in rocks etc. My bike tends to boil in the slow going. Its fine, once I get it in second gear and moving. Can any thing be done to help. I've rejetted to a slightly richer mixture, and put Engine Ice in it. Is a radiator fan a viable option?

There is not much more that you can do other than try to ride faster...450F's will overheat in a hurry when they are not getting air flow over the rads. There is a possibility that you need to replace your radiator cap as they will wear out and start releasing under less pressure than they should.

I couldn't rule out the possibility of a fan though...do a search, I'm sure it's been brought up before.

My 06' did this after I did the mods too. I had it Dynoed and found that the fuel screw needed to be turned out more than 2 turns to run most efficient. Currently it is 2 3/4 out. I ride from sea level to 5000' and have no problem with over heating in slow tight stuff.

Try this. In the slow tight stuff, try to stay off the clutch if you can. You end up revving your egine quite a bit. I find that things work better for me if I just put the bike in first and just roll up, over and around stuff. I am usually getting bounced all over the place and its never pretty. This may not work in all cases, but I am always surprised what a little more throttle and forward momentum will do for you.

This is directly related to the thread, and it may help the thread starter ?

Last time out I rode some technical terrain and then did a few WOT hillclimbs (clear creek) and it got the bike really hot. Well right after the hillclimbs the bike started pinging slightly and boiled some coolant into the tank (and on the ground, but thats a whole 'nuther story :busted:)

I've come up with a 1 gallon mixture that is 1/4 prestone, 3/4 distilled water, and 4 oz of water wetter (1 oz to 1 quart of coolant like the back of the bottle says). This will be significantly better than stock right?