Hex head carb screws?

12 replies to this topic
  • TrailRiderXRL

Posted August 08, 2007 - 12:09 PM

Where can I get hex head carb screws for my XRR?
Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted August 08, 2007 - 12:34 PM

Where can I get hex head carb screws for my XRR?
Thanks

check this out:

http://houseofmotorc...0R/2005/1134561

• tdamore

Posted August 08, 2007 - 04:38 PM

I bought mine at home depot but if you have a Orchard Supply near you they should have them also. I think the 4 that hold the float bowl and the two on top are 3mm and the one that holds the idle screw bracket on is a 4mm.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:13 AM

I bought mine at home depot but if you have a Orchard Supply near you they should have them also. I think the 4 that hold the float bowl and the two on top are 3mm and the one that holds the idle screw bracket on is a 4mm.

Cool Thanks guys! I'll check HD then try the on line site!

• tdamore

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:18 AM

Cool Thanks guys! I'll check HD then try the on line site!

FYI - that online site is just a microfiche of the OE Honda parts so if you order from them you will end up with the original soft screws.

• HawkGT

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:27 AM

I removed every screw from by carb and took them all to Ace Hardware (or was it TrueValue?) and matched them up to allen head screws. I seem to remember needing to go to two places to find the little guys that hold the needle in the bottom of the slide. Those are really nice to have as allen heads though--a ball end allen wrench makes quick work out of what was a PITA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 09, 2007 - 09:37 AM

i like the soft ones. with the right torque they are fine. plus i would think they are more likely to become damaged(the threads) before the holes in the carb body. as is the case with my recently replaced fuel screw that stripped out(no damage to carb/repl. with the external screw).

• Denn10

Posted August 09, 2007 - 11:25 AM

home depot or lowes they have about the same bolts i ALWAYS replace those as the screws SUCK!!!

• HawkGT

Posted August 09, 2007 - 11:52 AM

i like the soft ones. with the right torque they are fine. plus i would think they are more likely to become damaged(the threads) before the holes in the carb body. as is the case with my recently replaced fuel screw that stripped out(no damage to carb/repl. with the external screw).

I've always believed they make those OEM screws so soft for the reason you mention: You'll damage the screw (philips head) before damaging the aluminum carb body by over tightening. Nonetheless, if the proper torque is used it doesn't (shouldn't?) matter what the screw is. You just have to be aware of what is "proper torque" with allen heads since they will accept a lot more torque.

I like the allen heads because they can be tightened/loosened from an angle with a ball-end allen wrench and are just generally easier to work with.

• Denn10

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:00 PM

never use those just cause the ball head allens do strip alot if the screw/bolt is kinda tight

• martinfan30

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:08 PM

never use those just cause the ball head allens do strip alot if the screw/bolt is kinda tight

well dont use chisel and hammer!lol!!:busted:

• HawkGT

Posted August 09, 2007 - 01:30 PM

I'm pretty confident I can tell when it's appropriate to use a ball end and when it's not. ;)

• PowerCell

Posted August 10, 2007 - 06:55 AM

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.