Retarded YZF Timing? Help!

5 replies to this topic
  • Solo

Posted August 08, 2007 - 10:01 AM

I decided to check the valves on my bike today and was baffled at what I found. It appears to me that someone tried to go in and give it YZF timing. Somewhere during the process they got both cams off by one tooth ending up with EX cam in the stock position and the IN cam 1 tooth retarded. Resulting in what would be retarded YZF timing.

Before I go moving things around I thought it best if I post photos here and ask for opinions.

The bike is a 2000 WR400. I believe it to be stock other than bolt on and free mods like pipe, airbox mod, throttle stop. There ARE tooling marks on the head bolts so for all I know there's a hi-comp piston in there.

The jetting seems fat to me with a 180 main but it runs fine with it. It likes to get hot at slower speeds- more so than other WRs I ride with. I believe retarded cam timing would explain both of those.

Ok.. on to the photos. What should I do from here?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2829.jpg
  • 100_2836.jpg

• Solo

Posted August 08, 2007 - 12:18 PM

Anyone? Is the timing off or am I dumb?

• Backroad-Bob

Posted August 08, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Solo-WR400
From the photo of the cams I can tell you that the exhaust cam is a YZ cam by the tooth count from the top dot mark to the dot mark on the left. The timing chain pin count between the cams is correct for a YZ setup. The timing marks for the exhaust looks correct at 9:00 and the intake is correct at 3:00. It looks like everything is timed correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted August 08, 2007 - 04:15 PM

Use a pencil to make sure your at T.D.C.

• Solo

Posted August 08, 2007 - 04:54 PM

I'm an idiot. I read the manual wrong and freaked out. The cam sprockets are all where they belong.

What's this about it being a YZ cam? Where can I research this to verify it. (I was taught to question sources)

On the bright side I did a leak down test and she's good at 10-15%. Now if I could just figure out why there are tooling marks on the head bolts. Anyone know an easy way to tell what piston is in there?

• Backroad-Bob

Posted August 08, 2007 - 07:29 PM

When I bought my 03 WR 250 I soon afterwards changed out the exhaust cam to a YZ cam. At that time I compared the two cams to see what the differences were. The WR cam had 6-1/2 teeth from the top dot mark to the lower left timing mark, while the YZ cam had 7-1/2 teeth between marks. I don't know if this is published in any of the Yamaha manuals or tech manuals but thats how I know the difference.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.