Hot Start?

18 replies to this topic
  • Kaleb

Posted August 08, 2007 - 08:01 AM

Does this cable really need to be attached? I don't ever use the hot start and don't have trouble starting the bike anytime. Is this something I can pull out and plug? Get rid of one more thing on the handlebars?

Has anyone attempted this?

Thanks

• Math

Posted August 08, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Kaleb,

What is that hot start you have on the handle bar? is this a DrD? Anyway, if you don't need the hot start, I suspect your jetting is a little poor. So instead of removing the hot start, I would suggest you get that jetting dialed up and start using the hot start...

• Kaleb

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:10 PM

Math, On the 2005 WR450 its the lever on the left side of the handlebar. Its supposed to be pulled in to help start when the bike is warmed up. The bike actually runs great and starts ok, even with kick starting so I don't know exactly what that is for...maybe to open up more air???

• byggd

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:47 PM

maybe to open up more air???

You hit it on the nose! It lets extra air in to help start a hot bike or after a lay down. I've only used mine a couple of times; when riding in the mountains after a challenging hill climb I shut my bike of while waiting for my buddy to make the climb and once after an unexpected get off :busted:

• trailordune

Posted August 09, 2007 - 05:49 PM

If your bike is jetted properly you will use the hot start every time after the bike is warmed up. At least you should as it will fire up twice as fast. Sound like your pilot circuit is lean at the very least.

• Math

Posted August 11, 2007 - 01:26 PM

If your bike is jetted properly you will use the hot start every time after the bike is warmed up. At least you should as it will fire up twice as fast. Sound like your pilot circuit is lean at the very least.

I perfectly agree. Admit that the pilot is too lean, you fall in a situation where you don't have to lean the air-fuel mix to get a start even when warmed up. This is most probably what is going on...

It might be fun not to be obliged to use the hot start but the drawback is that you are too lean mostly all the time when running so the bike probably runs a little too hot and underpowered...

• foxomatica

Posted August 12, 2007 - 12:59 AM

I dissagree. My bike is jetted perfectly and have never needed the hot start. It has long since siezed (it should be lubed periodically at the carb) and I ripped the whole system out. If you get in a situation where you need a little "hot start help" you can always choke it. The hot start does not give it more air it gives it a little blast of extra fuel. Choking is a cheater way and a little inconvienient if you are on a hill or awkward situation but it happens so rare, who cares.

Fox

• SXP

Posted August 12, 2007 - 09:05 AM

The hot start does not give it more air it gives it a little blast of extra fuel. Fox

You couldn't be more wrong. The hot start DOES allow more air; the choke more fuel.

• trailordune

Posted August 12, 2007 - 09:11 AM

I dissagree. My bike is jetted perfectly and have never needed the hot start. It has long since siezed (it should be lubed periodically at the carb) and I ripped the whole system out. If you get in a situation where you need a little "hot start help" you can always choke it. The hot start does not give it more air it gives it a little blast of extra fuel. Choking is a cheater way and a little inconvienient if you are on a hill or awkward situation but it happens so rare, who cares.

Fox

Sounds like you have your jetting and maintenance down to a science Fox :bonk: . The hot start indeed leans out the pilot circuit for starting a warmed up bike, just opposite what the choke does.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted August 12, 2007 - 05:13 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. The hot start DOES allow more air; the choke more fuel.

He must be thinking on the accelerator pump. That’s the ONLY thing that will give an extra shot of fuel.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 13, 2007 - 07:11 AM

Kaleb, you will be glad you have the hot start when you start riding in hot conditions. Eventually you will use it. Don't take if off.

• Kaleb

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:06 AM

Actually the bike was jetted with a 48 pilot and was running ragged at a steady throttle. I switched to a 45 pilot and it ran perfect so its hard for me to agree that its lean. It didn't pop on decel. Truth to tell it probably was me because I just got used to bliping the throttle when I start...maybe next time out I will hit the hot start. Is that a pull and hold our just pull and let go deal? I have only ridden the bike 2X now and am still learning about it.

thx

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:44 PM

The pilot jet doesn't control starting. The start jet does. Apples and oranges.

• groffster

Posted August 13, 2007 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, if the hot start worked like the choke why would they put both on it?

• byggd

Posted August 13, 2007 - 02:25 PM

The pilot jet doesn't control starting. The start jet does. Apples and oranges.

Pilot jet or slow jet as some call it DOES affect start up. I have worked on many bikes where the pilot jet is clogged and the bike won't idle without the choke on.

• Asgeir

Posted August 13, 2007 - 02:36 PM

I have a 45 pilot and have not had to use the hot start (it is actually siezed)

I know for a fact that I need to richen my pilot. Should be at least 48 or richer.

How does one unseize the hot start plunger ?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 14, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Pilot jet or slow jet as some call it DOES affect start up. I have worked on many bikes where the pilot jet is clogged and the bike won't idle without the choke on.

You just proved my point.

Idling is running, not starting.

I do agree, however, that there is some relationship between starting and the slow circuit, but the start jet is the controlling factor in starting. After it starts, then the slow circuit takes over.

Sounds like I'm splitting hairs but I wanted to help kaleb.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 14, 2007 - 08:59 AM

How does one unseize the hot start plunger ?

Take the carb out, get a wrench, remove the plunger, clean it, and reinstall everything.

• byggd

Posted August 14, 2007 - 10:15 AM

You just proved my point.

Idling is running, not starting.

I do agree, however, that there is some relationship between starting and the slow circuit, but the start jet is the controlling factor in starting. After it starts, then the slow circuit takes over.

Sounds like I'm splitting hairs but I wanted to help kaleb.

Here is a link showing the relationship of each circuit and where each comes into play. Look at figure #1. I hope this helps.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/jetting.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.